Tires for Elk hunting

BFG KO2s get my vote. I’ve had Them on my F150 now for a long time and have always been a great tire.

FWIW.....I stay clear of Goodyear now days. They have made some serious political statements as of late and I will no longer support a company like that, regardless of political affiliation.

This will sound counter intuitive, but I like the Gladiator MT tires now days. They are 10 ply, I get 40-45ish thousand miles out of them on a 3500 Cummins Ram so they wear ok, and they are cheap in price (like half the price of normal sets on name brand stuff). Never had one blow or go flat, they have deep tread, surprisingly quite on road, and wear well. Look at all the reviews on youtube, you will hear nothing but praise!View attachment 211977
isn't cooper the last USA made tire?

ROCK4185

FNG
Falken Wildpeak A/T3W LT rated have been great on my truck. Great snow and mud performance, and not very loud on the highway.

SlimWhitman

Lil-Rokslider
Does your 37s rub? I have the two inch level and need a set of tires and can't decide between 35 or 37.

Mine don’t. Make sure you have the right offset wheels. Mine are +18. I also have a pretty good leveling kit from One Up Off-road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

think the falken wildpeaks are made in NY. My Bridgestones are Canadian. We built a plant for Toyo a few years ago but I’m not sure what lines of tires they make there.

I know the Toyo Open Country’s are made in US for sure. Not sure if other Toyos are. I think in Georgia or Mississippi somewhere

I'll take the rougher ride of a 10+ ply all day long to prevent changing a tire in the mud and snow and potentially ruining half a days hunt or more.

Had great success with Falken Wildpeak

Last edited:
I'm not sure which Hankooks are made there, but they have a plant just outside of Clarksville TN. Might just be passenger tires made there?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
hankooks are always ones i forget about, i had dynapro mt's on my last zr2 (back then the s10) and i liked them... they seemed to be wearing well, but that pickup caught on fire and burned up before i could see the more important part of the tire's life on a small pickup... the second half of their lives.

i put toyo mt's on my last pickup, and those things got horrible on wet pavement after about 50%... never again on a small pickup. i got new tires when they had probably 40% of their tread left, they got dangerous for my driving style, haha.

i'll have to research hankook and where they are made. i don't love any coopers anyways. i tried the maxx for a very short while (held rocks worse than any tire i have drove) and i ran the sst pros on my tundra i had for a little bit... they were just alright. i loved the original sst mt's.... don't keep up on political statements, but i assume your complaint is reasonable, i just never heard about their views, but i admit i avoid politics.

omegadef

FNG
I just installed Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx yesterday on my Titan XD after the mountain roads shredded my General Grabber APT. Never even occurred to me that my tires would be an issue.

mattmann

FNG
b9ef348bf71c429b81ec9efc9698b1a8.jpg

I’m running the STT PRO from cooper on my bronco and love them. They actually have good road manors as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been running the Toyo AT2 extremes for about 42000 miles. Absolutely loved the tire for the first 25k. Great traction, super durable, and low highway noise. The last 17k they've gotten noisy and the traction has diminished greatly. After reading numerous tire threads over the past 4 years it seems like most AT tires lose their allure after 20k-30k miles. I've currently been looking into the Kanati Wild Hog AT's. Great reviews and very similar to the Duratracs with a more durable sidewall and half the price!

Lytro

WKR
I’ve had a handful of flats in CO, but haven’t had one in over 3 years since I switched to KO2’s. I have no issues with them on the highway if you’re concerned about that. A slight hum, but not really any change in the smoothness of the ride or significant change in MPG. Over 50K miles on them and they still have plenty of tread.

guyhaz

FNG
I just put Cooper AT3's on my Dodge 2500 and really like them over Nitto's. They are good on the street and backcountry. I also put the Toyo Open Country on my wife's and I really like them as well.

coelk81

FNG
I drive mainly highway during most of the year, then elk season I am all over dirt roads in Colorado. Some are pretty bad. I got rid of the factory tires on '09 F150 due to too many flats. I have ran Firestone Destination AT's since 2010. I last week I switched to 10 ply Yokohama Geo-landers. They seem to be holding up pretty good. Less road noise than the firestones.