Tires For F150

BigDawgWill44

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for new tires for my F150. I have never ran E rated tires and not sure if you think I should based on what the truck is used for? I have read it’s not the greatest thing for 1/2 ton trucks, especially the aluminum body F150 but who knows if that is true.

*Must have 3-Peak mountain snowflake as I drive lots of mountain passes

*Don’t tow anything other then Yamaha Grizzly in a utility trailer during hunting season.

* It is a daily driver/family truck 10 months out of the year. 2 months of hunting season in central/eastern Oregon, gravel/rocky roads, snow, some mud, wet roads etc.

These are what I found is available at shops near me. Any recommendations on tires? Also thoughts on E rated vs not would be helpful.

BF Goodrich KO2 (D Rated 8-ply)
Toyo AT III (SL Rated 4-ply)
Falken AT3 (SL Rated 4-ply)
Cooper AT3 XLT (E Rated 10-ply)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a set of KO2 that were good and lasted forever, and looked really nice on the truck (I liked the squared off edges on them), recently switched to the Falken Wildpeak AT3s and have only had them on for a few thousand so I can't say anything in terms of wear or longevity, but traction has been great on ice and snow, but the big difference I've noticed is how much quieter they are than the KO2s.

I have Yoko x-at. Been great in snow and very impressive on icy passes this year. Very quiet too.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yeah, Falken Wildpeaks are a great tire,as well as Cooper ST Maxx. Heck, I've ran E rated tires on my Tacoma for 10 years. I think your F150 will be fine. I'd rather sacrifice fuel mileage for not having to fix flats.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

CorbLand

WKR
My buddy put the Coopers on his pickup and they have been great in the mud and snow. He hasnt had them very long so how long they last is still out but I wouldnt hesitate to put them on my pickup.

I had fallen wildpeaks on my last truck. New trucks has goodyear wranglers. They're loud compared to the falkens. Don't seem to be any better in the snow and ice. Maybe even worse. For the money, I think it's hard to beat the falkens.

You can't go wrong with the KO2's, but I am coming off a set of Hankook Dynapro AT-m's that I was happy with. Very good in the snow for the first 20k but then dropped off after that.

OP
BigDawgWill44

BigDawgWill44

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Cooper AT3 XLT on my F150, they are a great AT tire but do not have the 3-peak snowflake if that is an absolute requirement.

Some of the sizes in the XLT do have the snowflake, which would include the size I am after. They don’t advertise it on their website but I was at the tire shop and we noticed the snowflake on the tire. I emailed Cooper and they said yes some sizes do have it, kind of weird. What PSI do you run them on your F150?

I've had the KO2 and Toyo's. The toyo's would not hold up to driving down here in the mesquites in texas...always getting punctured. The KO2's have survived that w/o issue and done good in the snow and ice in montana/wyoming/idaho pretty much every november & december. Easier to find a spare on the KO2's when you do have a problem as well.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
I just went through this with my 18 f-150, the wildpeak at3s are what I went with. I only have 5000 on them, but they are a great tire. So much better than the hankook ATs that came on it. Mud, snow, and water are not an issue. They are quiet for the aggressiveness, I will be buying them again next time I'm in the market.

I just took off a set of Cooper AT3 4s tires from my 2015 F-150 - I did not have good luck with them so my vote is to stay away from Cooper. They are probably a different model from what you are looking at though. I went with the Falken wildpeak AT3w...

I just took off a set of Cooper AT3 4s tires from my 2015 F-150 - I did not have good luck with them so my vote is to stay away from Cooper. They are probably a different model from what you are looking at though. I went with the Falken wildpeak AT3w...

I too have not liked my AT3 4s either. I read great reviews and especially how good they were in the Rain. That has not been my experience. Mine suck so bad in the rain I drive way below the speed limit. In all other conditions they have been great.

I will be replacing them in the spring and either going to get the Wildpeak mentioned here or the General Grabber AT/X.

I am kind of a tire geek.
I had Michelin AT2s for years.
Great tire, kind of expensive, and they were P-metric on a Toyota Tacoma (no reason to put a truck tire on a Toy, I drove basalt constantly and never had a puncture).
Bought a 2015 F150 SC with the 6.5' bed and went tire shopping.
The goal was more aggressive year round tread, low noise, good wear.
I also wanted to increase the diameter but not the width (hate the childish BIGGER WIDER BETTER! look plus I drive in snow and ice and know the wider tire is less grip and control).
I bought the Falken AT3W in 275/70/18 E rating for something like $700 on sale from Discount Tire.
First, they're heavy...62lb per and you can feel it right away.
Second, they're comfortable and QUIET.
The shop inflated them to 36psi per the door sticker and they were like marshmallows.
I like to run them 40 cold and they firm up a bit but not harsh at all.
Decent grip on snow and ice although the Michelins were better.
I've had the Falkens for 30k and they are wearing very well.
Likely to get another 20k at least.

wapitibob

WKR
I ran toyo at, ht, and mt, as well as Bridgestone revo on my f-350 hunting here in oregon and Wyoming and will run the AT on this 2020 f-150. I’d step up to the E load rating myself.