Tires

I just ordered Nitto Ridge Grapplers for my 18 Raptor. I put the same on my GF’s 16 Tacoma about a year and they’re doing awesome.

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
I've narrowed it down to 2 tires over the years.

1. BFG AT 2 (If you need more aggressive offroad over pavement use)
  2. Michelin LTX A/T 2 (If you drive more pavement than off-road - I don't think there is a tire that exists that gets better life on a 1 ton pick up)
  3. Runner Up - Goodyear Duratrac

Haven’t read through the responses but I kept getting flats and popped a hole in my Toyo AT’s so I switched to some 10 ply General Grabbers and they have been great so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2rsquared

Lil-Rokslider
I also like Michelins. Just put my 4th set of Michelin Defender LTX M/S on my Yukon XL (1/2 ton). I have been averaging between 65,000 to 75,000 between sets.

You guys got me looking hard at the Falkens and the Coopers, but I stuck with the "if it ain't broke..." philosophy. I drive 95% highway though, however I was thinking of getting something more aggressive and perhaps more puncture resistant. I always envision myself as Snake Plissken driving across the 69th Street Bridge whenever I'm on I-45 in Houston. So much stuff in the road and always picking up nails, bolts and one time a pair of needle nose pliars in my tires. I figured that no 10 ply/E-rated tire is going to overcome that anyway.

The Michelins offer a quiet, smooth ride and seem fine with the very little off pavement driving I do. Plus they are much lighter than a lot of other brands and I average around 19 (and sometimes 20) mpg when driving the highway.

TheGDog

WKR
The Cooper A/T's give them a hard pass. They kicka$$ on the fwys going ludicrous speed... but SUCK the moment theirs any soft stuff in the picture. Save your money and get a BFGoodRich KO2 or something along those lines, with a more aggressive tread for the offroad part.

TheGDog

WKR
The Toyo Open Country A/T's worked surprisingly well on my Ford Explorer SportTrac I used to have. Climbed up and down some very water-rutted roads with them. I don't have any experience with them on heavier vehicles though.

rgramjet

FNG
I had Cooper Discovery 10 plys on my Silverado LBZ. Went thru 2 complete sets. They are good tires.

Switched to Nitto Ridge Grapplers and will never look back. Better traction in the rain and quieter than the Coopers.

tciprick

FNG
I use the KO2 up in Northern Alberta. Rocks, roots lots and lots of mud. 10 ply. Not the quietest tire around but has worked really well for me. I average 50-60 thousand KM per set on a half ton.

Wags

WKR
I've been a big fan of my Toyo Open Country AT Extremes. Wear really well and do okay with slight off roading. But definitely not a mud tire. They are worth a look.

I’ve got 30k on a set of these and I’m pleased with them. They’ve done everything I’ve asked.

I’ve got another 30k on Falken Widlpeaks on my wife’s suburban. It sees its share of off road work and I’ve been equally impressed with them. I’d say the Falkens ware better as I’ll probably get more mileage out of them. However my RAM is significantly heavier so that’s a factor as well.

Kronos

FNG
20211216_163019-jpg.680136

I'm throwing on a set of Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT tires this week. They look promising. Three-peak mountain snowflake rated with full depth sipes. Supposdly pretty quiet on road with good traction off road.

IH8Cali

Lil-Rokslider
I'm throwing on a set of Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT tires this week. They look promising. Three-peak mountain snowflake rated with full depth sipes. Supposdly pretty quiet on road with good traction off road.
Any short-term updates? What size did you go with?

I just bought 2 replacement tires. Went out on a limb for some firestone destination x/t. Had a belt break in one tire and Cstco doesnt have michelin defenders in stock so Im trying something new

I have very similar uses and expectations from a tire.

I've had ATs from BFG, Nitro, and Toyo.

But now have Cooper AT3 xlt, and am sold on them. Q

20211216_163019-jpg.680136

Just put these on my truck. So far so good.

Button

WKR
I put ridge grapplers on my truck and wife’s Jeep. Great tires. Expensive though.
Debating if I want to put another set on my truck just because I might not drive it more than a few more years.

Brooks

WKR
Cooper ST Maxx 10 ply is what I have right now and theyve been good here in the rocky terrain. I had a set of BFG AT 2 on but wore those tires out way to fast for what I paid for them.

Starting to look for tires for the truck.

I drive a lot. I drive a lot of highway for work and also for getting to a hunting area. I work construction, so puncture resistance is a desirable trait. I drive 30k/year so would like some thing that will wear well. I am good about routine maintenance and tire rotation. Being from KS, I get all 4 (sometimes 6) seasons of weather. Snow/wet traction is important as well as off road capability.

I'm specifically looking for recommendations in an "all terrain" tire. What are everyone's thoughts on a 10 ply? Necessary or not?

Thank you!
BFG's T/A KO2 on my Chevy Silverado. Best tires I've ever had. Work great on the highway and off road. Heavy trailering too. Not loud on the highway, grip well on wet snowy pavement. Good traction offroad.