Tires

What size did you get? I'm really leaning towards getting away from wide fat mud tires and going to tall and skinny. They have a 255/85-17 that I want to try.
I had to look up the size comparison on the 255/85/17 vs 285/85/16. I wished I would have upgraded wheel size now! I like that size. There isn't a whole lot of decisions on that size though.

IH8Cali

Lil-Rokslider
I had to look up the size comparison on the 255/85/17 vs 285/85/16. I wished I would have upgraded wheel size now! I like that size. There isn't a whole lot of decisions on that size though.
Yeah I REALLY want to try that size. I'm hoping that chaining those up will keep me hunting longer this season haha

madgvr4

FNG
Starting to look for tires for the truck.

I drive a lot. I drive a lot of highway for work and also for getting to a hunting area. I work construction, so puncture resistance is a desirable trait. I drive 30k/year so would like some thing that will wear well. I am good about routine maintenance and tire rotation. Being from KS, I get all 4 (sometimes 6) seasons of weather. Snow/wet traction is important as well as off road capability.

I'm specifically looking for recommendations in an "all terrain" tire. What are everyone's thoughts on a 10 ply? Necessary or not?

Thank you!
Coopers have been great for me, I do a little over 40,000 a year

I upgraded wheels last year for this same reason. My Tahoe had 16 inch wheels and I was not getting the variety of sizes I wanted. Tahoe looks great now

manitou1

WKR
I use my trucks off road quite a bit. Camping, scouting, hunting, flyfishing... just plain exploring. 50% or more non-hwy use.
The absolute worst off road performance of any tire I have used in the past fifteen years is the Cooper AT3. Poor on-road traction in snow and ice also. Get a little mud and forget it.
My neighbor down the road noticed my tires one day and asked how I liked them. I told him I did not and couldn't wait until the day came when I replaced them. He laughed and told me he felt the same. He said they will be his first and last set of Cooler AT3s he will ever own. Ditto here.

I just put a set of Falken Wildpeaks AT Trail on my Outback and am liking them. Quiet and solid. A third of my driving is on gravel and snow.

It was a toss up between them and the new Nokian Outpost APT which has rapidly become the darling of the offroad Subaru community.

Neither would be suitable for a heavy truck.

IH8Cali

Lil-Rokslider
I use my trucks off road quite a bit. Camping, scouting, hunting, flyfishing... just plain exploring. 50% or more non-hwy use.
The absolute worst off road performance of any tire I have used in the past fifteen years is the Cooper AT3. Poor on-road traction in snow and ice also. Get a little mud and forget it.
My neighbor down the road noticed my tires one day and asked how I liked them. I told him I did not and couldn't wait until the day came when I replaced them. He laughed and told me he felt the same. He said they will be his first and last set of Cooler AT3s he will ever own. Ditto here.
Are they the AT3 "XLT" or just the regular AT3? I have the same uses as you, and looking for something that serves me well from spring bear, summer fly fishing, all the way through 4th rifle. I don't mind carrying chains, just wanting the best of both worlds (on and off-road).

Kronos

FNG
Any short-term updates? What size did you go with?
295/70r18. In short they are probably the best AT tires I’ve used. Great off road, picks up few stones, does great evacuating water on the highway, and so far are only a little louder than the stock tires. I should have a report about snow in a few months from our long winters in Alaska.

They are heavy tires at 70 lbs per, so gas mileage does take a hit.

Attachments

• 831A1166-DE50-433C-921A-67AE2FEC0B3C.jpeg
    831A1166-DE50-433C-921A-67AE2FEC0B3C.jpeg
    270 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

IH8Cali

Lil-Rokslider
295/70r18. In short they are probably the best AT tires I’ve used. Great off road, picks up few stones, does great evacuating water on the highway, and so far are only a little louder than the stock tires. I should have a report about snow in a few months from our long winters in Alaska.

They are heavy tires at 70 lbs per, so gas mileage does take a hit.
Awesome, thanks! I have 35" BFG KM3s right now so i'm likely at the worst mileage i'll see; I only plan to run smaller tires from here on out.

MTChurch

FNG
Starting to look for tires for the truck.

I drive a lot. I drive a lot of highway for work and also for getting to a hunting area. I work construction, so puncture resistance is a desirable trait. I drive 30k/year so would like some thing that will wear well. I am good about routine maintenance and tire rotation. Being from KS, I get all 4 (sometimes 6) seasons of weather. Snow/wet traction is important as well as off road capability.

I'm specifically looking for recommendations in an "all terrain" tire. What are everyone's thoughts on a 10 ply? Necessary or not?

Thank you!
I have Falken Wildpeak AT3W’s. Best tire I’ve ever owned. Quiet on the road and perform great off road.

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
I had falken wildpeaks AT3 on my 1/2 ton about 5 years ago. Loved the tires in all conditions.
Bought a duramax and ran nitto ridge grapplers. Absolute worst tire I’ve ever ran! Horrible in rainy conditions and didn’t last very long. Couldn’t wait to get them off the truck.
The next tire I put on the duramax was a copper AT3. Good all around tire, nice on the highway and did good in the snow. But I’ve never had so many flats in my life. It was either really bad luck or those tires just attract nails. Think I had 10 nails removed last year alone, while no one else on the job sites were getting flats.
Now I’ll be back to falken wildpeak AT3’s next week after finding a good deal on them. Can’t wait to get them on the truck.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
Another vote for the Falken Wildpeak AT/3W. They have taken me over some gnarly terrain in my last three elk hunts, and more importantly gotten me home.

Even though they are a P rated tired, my research found they have an extra ply in the sidewall so they perform well in moderate off road terrain, at least they did for me.

The only downside is my tires have become noticeably noisier at highway speeds after about 12k miles, but that will not keep me from buying another set when the time comes. I just turn up the radio a little. :)

Wear wise, I'll get about 35-40k miles, which is plenty for me these days given how little I drive. My current set, I bought on clist (or maybe offerup) in 2019 for $400. That price has spoiled me as I know my next set is going to be at least 200% more.

Eddie

Attachments

• T4R-TIRES.JPG
    T4R-TIRES.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 35
Another vote for the Falken Wildpeak AT/3W. They have taken me over some gnarly terrain in my last three elk hunts, and more importantly gotten me home.

Even though they are a P rated tired, my research found they have an extra ply in the sidewall so they perform well in moderate off road terrain, at least they did for me.

The only downside is my tires have become noticeably noisier at highway speeds after about 12k miles, but that will not keep me from buying another set when the time comes. I just turn up the radio a little. :)

Wear wise, I'll get about 35-40k miles, which is plenty for me these days given how little I drive. My current set, I bought on clist (or maybe offerup) in 2019 for $400. That price has spoiled me as I know my next set is going to be at least 200% more.

Eddie
I know its been a while but wanted to check with you about the P rated. Have you had any issues with it? I have an F150 and am between the LTs vs Ps.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
I know its been a while but wanted to check with you about the P rated. Have you had any issues with it? I have an F150 and am between the LTs vs Ps.
None other than the noise I mentioned.

When I replace these, I'll be deciding between LT and P rated like you. It looks like there is a decent premium for LT rated tires so one must always balance available funds versus need.

If my off-road time continues at the current pace, I see no need for an LT rated tire even though they might give a little more peace of mind if some gnarly terrain is encountered, but at a higher cost.

I will also say (and I'd do this even with LT rated tires) that anytime the terrain looks rocky, rugged or just not tire friendly, I always slow down, take my time and am not above moving tire unfriendly obstacles. I'll also take a scratch or two on the paint if it'll help preserve my tires. They are called Arizona Pinstripes. :D

Good luck,

Eddie

None other than the noise I mentioned.

When I replace these, I'll be deciding between LT and P rated like you. It looks like there is a decent premium for LT rated tires so one must always balance available funds versus need.

If my off-road time continues at the current pace, I see no need for an LT rated tire even though they might give a little more peace of mind if some gnarly terrain is encountered, but at a higher cost.

I will also say (and I'd do this even with LT rated tires) that anytime the terrain looks rocky, rugged or just not tire friendly, I always slow down, take my time and am not above moving tire unfriendly obstacles. I'll also take a scratch or two on the paint if it'll help preserve my tires. They are called Arizona Pinstripes. :D

Good luck,

Eddie
Thanks Eddie. I appreciate the reply back. I believe we are thinking the same thing. I have run passenger tires on my work truck (work makes you run through them before you get to replace them) and they did really good until they were past the life of the tire and that is when I got flats. Three to be exact. I drive some rugged roads for work. I did switch to a LT tire, duratrecs and split the side well when I braised a curb. If that happens with an LT, that is what has got me thinking.

jimwinks

FNG
Goodyear Duratracs or if you want less $ go with the Kanati Trail Hogs. I have had great luck with both. Duratracs had 75K on them and are a little quieter as they wear. The Kanati had 30K (@ about half tread). Both are great in the mud and snow. They do have large lugs on them so some road noise, but not as much as you think. Have a set of BFG K02 on my truck now and they are not as good in the snow or mud.