Titan fuel tanks and offroading

nrh6.7

WKR
So I am tired of having a 26 gallon tank on my truck and am planning on installing the 50 gal titan unit. What I want to know is has anyone (or anyone you know) had any issues with clearance while driving off road in the mountains? My truck sits about an inch or two higher than stock, and I drive carefully, but with my luck I'd end up puncturing it and having to walk out. I would love to not have to always be worried about how much fuel I have left, but not if it means I can't do any moderate off-roading.

Side question: would you consider the tank shield worth buying?

tdhanses

WKR
I wouldn’t worry about it at all. I put one on the Nissan i had and it only dropped about an 1” lower then stock. These poly tanks are way more durable then a steel tank.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
I wouldn’t worry about it at all. I put one on the Nissan i had and it only dropped about an 1” lower then stock. These poly tanks are way more durable then a steel tank.

Thanks. Glad to hear yours worked. I'll pick one up and enjoy the extended mileage.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
And take up bed space?

That was my thought also. I already have a toolbox there anyways, so no room in the bed. Probably wouldn't want it there without the box.

Somebody at Ford should be flogged for this sorry excuse for a fuel tank...

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
They do make L shaped ones that go under your cross bed tool box

Yes sir, but with me having a short bed and a deep Weatherguard, I can't move the box back more than a couple inches before I hit the wheel wells. I've been waay down this rabbit hole already and the only in-bed option for me would be a custom tank that would take up the remaining 8" under the box. But then I lose 20" of room to slide lumber and such underneath.

The best answer is to just buy a long wheelbase truck and be done, but that ain't happening anytime soon.

tdhanses

WKR
Naw get the Titan and don’t worry about it, wish I could put one on my gas F250, I would in a heartbeat.

Keep in mind it's worth carrying extra fuel. Not for the purpose of going further, but in case of incident getting out. I have seen fuel lines rupture and you'd be surprised how much fuel you can loose before you realize what is happening. Not that you can always easily fix a fuel leak, but a little epoxy on a line and extra fuel can get you out.

Off topic and nothing to do with the Titan tanks, but thought it was worth mentioning.