Titanium cup/mugs

ljalberta

WKR
I like the idea of a small titanium cup/pot, but after using the GSI Minimalist, I have a hard time switching over. The size is perfect for solo trips. I can boil water in it for a MH in the evening, and in the morning I can boil enough in it for both my coffee and oatmeal. The cozy it comes with is fantastic for insulating the heat longer than an exposed metal cup, and the lid it come with is great! The weight penalty is very minimal compared to a titanium cup of the same size (I think it's 650ml).

The gsi microlite 500 flip top makes a great drink cup and works well for on the go....not for stove top but keeps liquids hot for a long time and seals e-z so no knocked over mug for in camp and throw it in a cargo pocket for hiking. Very happy that I purchased one. The 1000 twist top makes a great small thermos.
I’m thinking about getting one of the 1000ml this year to cook home made dehydrated meals in.

I like toaks and have 2 of them. One that’s small that I bought not knowing how small it was. Ended up being alright for a coffee cup when not on back country trips where I need a 16 oz for meals. But both come with an insulated cover which is a pretty cool feature if you’re boiling water.

Is the general consensus that the toaks 650ml is enough to actually handle a 550ml boil into handle just about any freeze dry meal bag?

I’ve been using a 650ml Toaks titanium w/lid and it’s working out well for my needs. There may be better options out there but for a basic lightweight cup it might be pretty hard to beat the Toaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. Great value.

Whatever you get, make sure it has measurements marked on the cup. I’d also get something about 30-50% more capacity than you need to boil otherwise it boils over every time...ask me how I know.

Takeem406

WKR
Evernew. For a drinking cup MSR makes a funky shaped insulated mug with a lid. It seems drinks warmer longer and it fits into a pack really well because of its shape.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

jnagel32

FNG
I use a Toaks Light 650ml pot to boil water for meals and coffee. I place an Evernew 400FD Titanium Cup on the outside of the Toaks and use it to drink my coffee. Since I'm not using it to heat the water for the coffee it doesn't burn my lips. My BRS-3000T Titanium Stove, folding titanium spork, mini bic lighter, and a small fuel canister nest inside and only weighs 14.2 ounces.

IMG_1912.JPGIMG_1911.JPGIMG_1913.JPG

Last edited:

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
Usually it's better to get a larger diameter cup/pot for the type of use you're looking to do. It's a lot more efficient

I’ll second this. I have a Vargo 750-ish cup that nests on a Nalgene and I later picked up a Snowpeak cookset. The pot is low and wide. I haven’t recorded any scientific tests, but the Snowpeak definitely heats up much faster and uses significantly less fuel.

You probably should NOT buy a double wall mug if you intend to cook or boil in it.
JL

I prefer to use double wall 60 of the time everytime.

That way the cup gets hot but the beverage stays cold.

And I can make sure to use all my fuel in one overnight trip

Wrench

WKR
I have a bunch of them. They all work to do what you want....but the bigger the diameter the faster it'll boil. My 6" diameter stainless coleman from 1987 boils faster than all of my ti stuff because it's using the heat that would be wasted up the sides.

So either get a deflector, or the largest diameter you can.

You can make a cozy out of a foil bubble wrap or some neoprene and keep a single wall warm longer.

GotDraw?

WKR
Yes, bigger surface area relative to volume = faster boil

In addition Titanium is a poor heat conductor

I have a bunch of them. They all work to do what you want....but the bigger the diameter the faster it'll boil. My 6" diameter stainless coleman from 1987 boils faster than all of my ti stuff because it's using the heat that would be wasted up the sides.

So either get a deflector, or the largest diameter you can.

You can make a cozy out of a foil bubble wrap or some neoprene and keep a single wall warm longer.

Not everybody needs fast excess to caffeine like I do. The fuel can fits great in the bottom of a Kifaru nalgene carrier with the kit on top. The Snowpeak stove is not inclu with the kit, but the pot handle is. The out pot is titanium, the in pot is ss. Plenty of room for half a dozen Via, creamer packs, a folded piece of towel and a small Bic inside the kit with the stove.

With plastic = double wall mug, without = two small pots.

$50 at REI, $100 for what looks like same kit on Amazon.

236A6B4E-A55D-4DA2-B211-4B7B19C85D64.jpeg49ADF47E-F32A-4B8A-BB6D-141D682F25C9.jpeg9A7B69E3-CEE8-4574-A72F-F75A6E4298E1.jpegD1E29853-34D0-420B-8230-C2D82E0290C5.jpegB4238189-D619-4658-9E17-5EA89A7432F9.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a 300ml Snowpeak TI and it sucks. It doesn't fit on the burner and it's too small for a decent cup of coffee. I think having a lid is pretty nice too (mine doesn't). I was using the GSI plastic mug with a handle recently and its pretty good, for the low price.

I think this is a toaks and I picked it up on massdrop for a decent price. I think it weighs 3 oz by itself. Everything nests together and I like having a lid.
fe4b1d5007853f455b57998fc86eb554.jpg
b7f22cbbc5b4403546caa3ced3f275b5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmac

WKR
The Soto double stack is great for a lot of reasons and on sale at REI for around $40.