Titanium pot handles too hot - need a solution

TheCougar

WKR
I tested out my new cook system this week and the toaks 650ml titanium pot handles were too hot when I cranked up the stove beyond the minimum setting. I vaguely remember reading a solution to cover the handles in some kind of tubing. How did you guys solve the hot handles?

KyleR1985

WKR
If you can take them off the pot, shrink tubing will work, they make heavier duty stuff with an adhesive in it

Rob5589

WKR
Was thinking about that myself. I am going to buy a silicone baking mat (wife would be pissed if I used hers) and cut a small square pot holder. It should work, in theory. Will report back after I try it, hopefully without burnt fingers.

mlgc20

WKR
I use a silicone slap bracelet that you can find on Amazon. Much easier than dealing with the pot handles. Picture below... 20200720_213708.jpg

Felix40

WKR
Aquarium tubing is what I put on mine. The trashy pet store in town just cut a little piece off and gave it to me.

I use a silicone slap bracelet that you can find on Amazon. Much easier than dealing with the pot handles. Picture below... View attachment 199119
That is slick! I went with the handleless Toaks pot since I found it on sale and figured the handles are too hot anyways. I was wrapping my bandana around but was just a matter of time before I spill and/or burned myself.

Does the silicon band not melt at all? I assume it's fairly lightweight as well?

mlgc20

WKR
That is slick! I went with the handleless Toaks pot since I found it on sale and figured the handles are too hot anyways. I was wrapping my bandana around but was just a matter of time before I spill and/or burned myself.

Does the silicon band not melt at all? I assume it's fairly lightweight as well?
Yeah, I used my bandana or camp towel for years, until I came across this idea. It was a game changer. You have so much more control over the pot this way. The band pretty much weighs nothing. I've never heard of one melting, and I haven't had any issues.

Drenalin

WKR
I've not dealt with this issue on my Toaks 650 pot; that's actually one the things I really like about it, that I can grab the handles or the lift tab on the lid without burning my fingers. Obviously I'm just running my stove at a lower temp though, so now you've got me worried this will come up and I'll be unprepared. Anyway, we've got some of these at the house and they work pretty good for grabbing hot stuff out of the microwave or oven, as long as you don't hold onto it for a long time.

Microwave Grippers

Poser

WKR
I just pull my sleeve on my hand or use the Toaks storage bag to grab the handles. Make sure the are ok the open position while boiling and they’ll be less hot than if touching the pot.

Rob5589

WKR
So, I cut about a 3" square out of a silicone dog mat. I lit my stove, burned for about 30 secs, then killed the gas. Used the silicone pad to grab the feet of the stove no problem. You could feel heat but, no burns. I even lit the pad with a lighter and it was fine. Free, works, fits in my pot.

I sprayed the handles with multiple coats of plastic dip

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 27