Titanium Stoves: Cylinder or Box

Which

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What are the pros and cons of each? My style of hunting is hike far in with a tipi and be out for at least 4 days at a time solo bowhunting. I usually just use mountain house foods boiled with a jetboil but like the idea of being able to use the box style as a grill top but how practical is that?

BDRam16

WKR
What are the pros and cons of each? My style of hunting is hike far in with a tipi and be out for at least 4 days at a time solo bowhunting. I usually just use mountain house foods boiled with a jetboil but like the idea of being able to use the box style as a grill top but how practical is that?
Haven’t used either, but for what it’s worth most of the cylinder stoves have the two rods on top that hold it all together. These can be used to hold a pot and boil water just the same as a box.

Moserkr

WKR
I bought a tigoat cylinder stove when they were still around. Before the forest service went nuts with fire precautions, I used it for 3 years for boiling water and never carried a gas stove at all. When i killed I used a willow skewer to cook over a small open fire. Ultimate goal was to save weight. I also now carry a 1oz, 10x4” titanium grill made by ruta locura (tigoat’s son), to grill fish or meat on in the backcountry. Again, just a small open fire with little sticks in a little hole. To cook on your stove inside requires either an additional pan (i only carry a small water pot), requires cleaning, and puts food smell in the tent. Im in black bear country and they steer clear of humans in my area. But some areas and with griz especially, id be weary of cooking in the tent at all.

Cylinder stove pros:
Weigh less
Pack smaller

Cons:
Not as sturdy
Boil/cook slower (not by much)

Flip those around for the pros/cons of box stoves. Others with more box stove experience will probably add more. Ive been very happy with my 12” and 20” c-stove.

Geewhiz

WKR
I don't own one yet but have been doing a little research. It seams like for similar weights, cylinder stoves have a significantly larger volume which in my brain means longer burn time. On the other hand, it seams as though box stoves are much better built and more durable. These are thoughts without any experience.

I have a brs canister stove that weighs pretty much nothing that I will cook on, so taking that into consideration.

Lurch12

Lil-Rokslider
Seek Outside sells a box stove. Its amazing how light it is and how it packs down. I have not used a cylinder stove but mine gets used and works great. Generally one person carries my 4 man tent and anther carries the stove. I do not use mine as a cook top. I have burners for that.

Rock-o

WKR
If the cylinder has a flat top over it or could be added than I might go that route. Otherwise, a box for sure.