Titanium tent stoves

Foldem

WKR
Aron, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a stove as well and have a couple of small hangups on the Kifaru at this point. First is that it doesn't have a chimney damper. Wouldn't that significantly improve the burn time? Also, I saw another stove on youtube where they used it without the bottom panel to get a little bit more capacity. Can you see any reason this couldn't be done with the Kifaru? I figure it could save me 3/4 lb to leave the bottom panel at home. Thank You.

There is no way to hold a Kifaru stove together without the bottom.The all thread sandwiches the sides between the top and bottom.
Tim

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
Used both the Kifaru box stove and the Ti Goat cylinder. The Ti was titanium with titanium pipe. The Kifaru is stainless.

About the only major issue I saw was with the small Ti was the size. You were reduced to burning twigs and small sticks. The door was cheesy.

The Kifaru is pretty good. It leaks like a sieve so you cant damper it down too much, but its plenty functional. The larger size helps greatly with being able to use bigger wood. I dont think you'd gain much with a chimney damper. The stoves leak too much for that I think.

Both pipe materials seem fine after you burn them in. They take shape after that. We melt alot of the orange strings on the pipe wire loops. But no big deal.
Both stoves wrinkle and warp quite a bit. The Kifaru is a pain if you lose the nuts for the all thread.

We use a longer stove pipe to try and keep the sparks off the tent.

Never used the Ed-T stove, but pretty sure he designed the Kifaru, so suspect he knows what he's doing. I like the bigger stoves, but 16" length would be max for me. I just dont end up with wood that long. The Kifaru is maybe a few inches too long.

I have a small Kifaru stove on the way. I looked a bunch before coming back to the Kifaru. I think it will work for what I want to use it for.

Foldem

WKR
I ordered the Kifaru medium today. Here are the reasons for my choice:

1. Quality, from the videos and pictures the fabrication of the Kifaru looks the best of all of them.
2. Presumed durability. The stainless just looks like it will hold up better to me. This has its downside as the weight almost caused me to go with another manufacturer but in the end I decided I will hopefully have this stove for many years to come.
3. Lifetime Warranty.

strawman

Lil-Rokslider
I have the TiGoat cylinder stove and am happy with it. Took a while to get it set up the first time (in below zero temps...my hands were numb) but is fairly easy now that it's been burned. It's small, so you have to feed it often, but it's so light I don't even notice when I add it to my pack. I haven't used any of the others, so can't compare. It's a good, quality stove.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've been lucky enough to use them all and you will find negatives with any of them.

We've been running pretty in depth tests this winter on all of the UL wood stoves available and Dan is going to get something written up about them pretty soon.

Whisky

WKR
For the most part, another hunting season has passed by since the last post in this thread. I'm bumping it up, and am curious if anybody has any other experiences or thoughts to share after this last season regarding wood burning stoves??

I'm looking to get into a Ti stove and some sort of shelter that allows for that. I have no experience in floorless shelters, and wonder how in the heck that would be comfortable in late Nov-Dec hunting?! Enlighten me please.

Thanks,
Whisky

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I used a Kifaru small for the last several years but sold it this year and got the Seek Outside medium stove with a 7' pipe.

My thoughts:
Titanium pipe is harder to roll initially than SS, but after the first burn it's easy.
The SO stove is built MUCH tighter than the Kifaru.
The SO stove draws and burns better than the Kifaru because it is built tighter and doesn't draw air through the joints.
The SO is made from titanium instead of SS and is about a pound lighter.
The SO currently costs $25 LESS than the Kifaru.
Ths SO door opening is bigger, making it easier to use. The door itself slides on, meaning it removes completely, making it easier to use. The door fits tighter than the K, making it burn better.
The SO damper is awesome. It is a premade section of pipe with a sparkscreen and a turnable damper plate inside. It works great.