Titanium tent stoves

I've got a 16" stove from Ed T,I replaced a med Kifaru stove with it and it works great.It heats my 6 man tipi at least as well,maybe better and has allot let air leaks than the box stove
Tim
Plus,Ed is a good guy to deal with !

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I will ask Aron to respond. He has seen just about every stove out there.

Ryan

OP
Backpack Hunter
dotman, I'm in the same boat. No one has experience with them or there not opening up too much about them.

Tim;
1. what is the weight on your 16" Ed T stove?
2. Have you noticed any wrinkling/warping?
3. Did you get the titanium stove pipe or the stainless steel? If you got the titanium how well does it roll up comparative to Kifaru's ss?
4. How fast is set up compared to the Kifaru?
5. How often do you have to stoke?
6. Do you notice any ground burning/hotspots going on under the stove?....that might just be an issue with the TiGoat since it seems Ed's is up a bit higher.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm gonna try and keep this as constructive and positive, so I will only respond about the stove/stoves I would use myself.

So that really only leaves one stove:)

Ed T's stove is the only other option that I would suggest. I burned it for several hours and had zero issues (no leaks or warping).

Answering these in order for Ed's stove

2lbs 15 oz's (I think, but almost positive)

No issues

Ti pipe and after you use it a couple times it's not an issue, but the first time will take some doing....non issue really

They both take practice, but the Kifaru is easier for me.

I would say every 15 minutes would be average, but that can vary greatly.

Non issue with Ed's stove.

The only thing to think about between Ed's stove and the Kifaru is fact that one is round and the other square. That means the square is easier to cook off of, but the round will be lighter in weight. Other than that, they are both great stoves.

I had several issues with the other companies stoves and would not suggest buying them at this point.

Let me know if you have other questions, but between Tim and I you should have a good idea now.

I think my 16" stove is actually 2 lbs. 4 oz. with the 7' pipe the only other thing I would add to what Aron said is that burn time depends allot on what you're burning,and how dry it is.One of the things I like about the 16" stove is the ability to put longer pcs. in it.Plus there are far fewer air gaps and a damper so you don't send as much heat up the pipe
Tim

Mike7

WKR
I have used the TiGoat Titanium Large sized square stove for the past couple of years with the ti stove pipe and have not had any issues. In fact, I am very happy with it as it has been great during my limited usage period, but I don't have any other wood stoves to compare it too. It lights really easily once you get the hang of it and average burn times for me with typical understory branches are about 30 minutes it seems for a full stove with at least 1 or two larger pieces. My entire stove with 8 ft stove pipe, carry bags, assembly tool, etc. all together (without Sawvivor saw) weighs 3 lbs 14 ounces going into my pack, so this weight is better I think if sharing the load with a hunting buddy or two unless I'm just packing into a base camp. It easily heats a 6 man tipi to uncomfortably warm temps within 10 minutes when fully stoked with outside temps of 30 degrees.

The larger titanium cylinder stoves sound intriguing for their combination of light weight and loading potential, but that was not an available option when I bought my stove. The stove pipe is easy to form after a burn or two as mentioned above, but my son and I fought with it instead in the woods the first time, as I received it right before we went on a hunt 3 yrs ago. I wish I would have set mine up at home the first time and rolled/formed it with a 3" PVC pipe, but heard about this trick afterwards. I have not had any significant warping of the stove, but this year was told about the trick of putting a little sand in the bottom of any light weight wood stove for extra protection...so I will try this now to help the stove last for a long time hopefully. The only thing I changed with the stove kit was that I bring a light weight short phillips head screw driver for rapid assembly of the stove, because the included tool from TiGoat was awkward for me.

Also, I typically bring my pocket rocket as well though for quickly heating water on bivy hunts or if I don't plan on firing up the wood stove twice daily.

dotman

WKR
I'm gonna try and keep this as constructive and positive, so I will only respond about the stove/stoves I would use myself.

So that really only leaves one stove:)

Ed T's stove is the only other option that I would suggest. I burned it for several hours and had zero issues (no leaks or warping).

Answering these in order for Ed's stove

2lbs 15 oz's (I think, but almost positive)

No issues

Ti pipe and after you use it a couple times it's not an issue, but the first time will take some doing....non issue really

They both take practice, but the Kifaru is easier for me.

I would say every 15 minutes would be average, but that can vary greatly.

Non issue with Ed's stove.

The only thing to think about between Ed's stove and the Kifaru is fact that one is round and the other square. That means the square is easier to cook off of, but the round will be lighter in weight. Other than that, they are both great stoves.

I had several issues with the other companies stoves and would not suggest buying them at this point.

Let me know if you have other questions, but between Tim and I you should have a good idea now.

Aron, have you used the ti-goat since it was improve on in 2010? Looks like it has legs now and a better overall setup then the pre 2010 models. it would be great to know if this the was the one you used.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm going to take a guess and say it was post 2010 because it had legs, but I will ask the guy that owns it and see if he did some mods on it or if it came that way.

6x6

FNG
For what it's worth. I have tried/owned both the Kifaru, and TiGoat stoves. In my opinion, the Ti Goat Cylinder stove is advantagous in multiple ways. It's lighter, and easier to work with (set up). I own both the Ti Goat Vertex Tipi, and the Kifaru Supertarp. The Supertarp is my go to shelter, and I use the Ti Goat Cylinder stove in it. I like the configuration of the stove in the supertarp instead of the stove in the center of the shelter like the tipi. The stove is even lighter, as I got a shorter stove pipe for the supertarp. As luck would have it, I got the first cylinder stove that Ti Goat built, and it does have legs to keep it stable. It still works like a champ and I have definitely put it through its paces. Some improvements they have made to them that look really nice are that they will make whatever size you want them to. A friend has a 16" stove that is almost too big for the Supertarp. I don't think you can go wrong with either company as they both make amazing stuff.

dotman

WKR
How many seasons of use do you have on the ti-goat? Have you had any field problems that you had to use your mcgiver skills to fix?

6x6

FNG
I haven't had to do one thing to that stove. There is a learning curve to setting it up, and of course, once you burn it enough it will start to discolor, but as far as functionally, it has been great. As mentioned earlier, I would definitely burn it at home initially before taking it in the field to form the titanium. Makes it easier to set up the second time.

I forgot to address the "ground burning/hotspot" question.I got a fireproof/resistant pcs. of fiberglass cloth from the hardware store.Go to the plumbing dept..It's used to protect framing when soldering copper pipe with a torch
Tim

Never have used a titanium. Always used the Kifaru. Never needed anything else. Have a medium and a large. I like the square design. Titanium is going to be lighter, but also more expensive.
DSC_4344.jpg
PICT0081.jpg