Titanum Jet Boil

sweetroll

FNG
Ya a buddy used to use one, then I showed him the MSR pocket rocket and a titanium cup. Half the price and lighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Ya a buddy used to use one, then I showed him the MSR pocket rocket and a titanium cup. Half the price and lighter.

I've got one of those. I almost threw it in the trees last year when it was below zero and 20 MPH winds trying to boil snow. Took me forever to get a small drinkable amount of water.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
They used to make a Ti cup for the JetBoil. I have one. Some less than gifted individuals melted a few of them trying to make water from snow. So, rather than let them be penalized for their poor technique, all the rest of us were deprived of the item...

People didn't or couldn't read the instructions and fired them up without water or tried melting snow in them and fried the flux ring and cups. Fortunately I bough up a couple before they completely vanished, because their size and efficiency is pretty handy when you want to go really light and compact, especially with a SOTO Windmaster burner on it.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
People didn't or couldn't read the instructions and fired them up without water or tried melting snow in them and fried the flux ring and cups. Fortunately I bough up a couple before they completely vanished, because their size and efficiency is pretty handy when you want to go really light and compact, especially with a SOTO Windmaster burner on it.

So you use the jet boil pot with another stove? Why? Lighter?

BBob

WKR
I use a Windmaster with a MicroMo pot because it’s just as efficient but about 4oz lighter than the Jet Boil MicroMo stove system. Btw a MicroMo alu pot is only 1oz ish heavier than the Sol ti pot. The last Sol ti pot I watched on eBay went for close to $200 so that’d be $200 an oz.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I use a Windmaster with a MicroMo pot because it’s just as efficient but about 4oz lighter than the Jet Boil MicroMo stove system. Btw a MicroMo alu pot is only 1oz ish heavier than the Sol ti pot. The last Sol ti pot I watched on eBay went for close to $200 so that’d be $200 an oz.

Definitely not worth it for me - I could fart 1 oz 😂

ozyclint

WKR

That's a lighter system up until about day five. After that the jetboil Ti system is lighter because of the vastly increased fuel efficiency allowing you to carry less gas. Less gas=less mass.

I get 10 days out of a 100gm canister with the jetboil. I had to carry a 250gm canister with the kovea Ti stove and Ti mug.

BBob

WKR
That's a lighter system up until about day five. After that the jetboil Ti system is lighter because of the vastly increased fuel efficiency allowing you to carry less gas. Less gas=less mass.

I get 10 days out of a 100gm canister with the jetboil. I had to carry a 250gm canister with the kovea Ti stove and Ti mug.
Same performance and experience here. At ~8gm a day (two 500mL boils) I can go ~10 days with 100gm and Windmaster w/MicroMo pot. I used to carry MSR kettle and Snow Peak Giga power Ti and had to carry a 250 to get the same.

Poser

WKR
7d73b173e444b8bede97ff94329ca3c9.jpg

Pocket Rocket + windscreen and pot. About $70 total, lighter, less bulk, more serviceable.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
What size Ti cup is good for making single mountain house meals? 500 ml?

BBob

WKR
What size Ti cup is good for making single mountain house meals? 500 ml?

You need a little larger than a 500mL. Most Mtn House needs 2 cups which is approximately 500mL. You’ll need a little extra headroom to boil. An MSR Titan kettle at 850mL works well and a Jet Boil MicroMo at 800 does too so anything in that range should work.

They used to make a Ti cup for the JetBoil. I have one. Some less than gifted individuals melted a few of them trying to make water from snow. So, rather than let them be penalized for their poor technique, all the rest of us were deprived of the item...

Mine has never melted snow or been run dry and the fins are falling off. There appears to be corrosion or something which seems odd for titanium. It's just hard to weld.