To ARCA my rifle or not?

archp625

WKR
I just had a 300 WSM built off a tikka action and have a Manners EH1 stock. Right now I have a pic rail on the front and shoot off a Atlas bipod. The arca system intrigues me but I do not want to install to find out I do not like it. So what are everyone's thoughts? My other concerns are What ball head should I switch to. Currently using the VA-5. I worry I wont like glassing with a ball head.

Sgtusmc14

Lil-Rokslider
at the shop I work at we are all adding little 3-4" arca plates in front of the magwell to lock into the ball head. For elk I generally don't carry bipods on a rifle but the thought is the arca plate doesn't weigh much and we already have a tripod for the spotter so why not. We have tossed around bedding in an mlok slot back there as well. to be able to remove it easier

Sgtusmc14

Lil-Rokslider
fwiw we have manners stocks primarily as well. If yours is bedded the barrel pad will have to be removed which is nbd. A mini chassis will bolt right up.

slowelk

WKR
A ball head is a big step down as a glassing platform in my opinion. I love my va5 head.

As a compromise, and because I also don’t want to drill unnecessary holes in a $800-$1k stock, I am trying the SAP run and gun bag on top of my va5 head. So far, it’s OK, I have had good luck using it cross-legged using my knees as support, but I prefer fashioning my pack as a rear rest. I wish the bag had the tacky material on the gun side as well as the bottom.

wnelson14

WKR

Something like this would work with your current set up? Maybe not?

Lawnboi

WKR
Couple things to mention.

-depending on your tripod, you might be disappointed. Most tripods meant for glassing and being light are not a sturdy platform for a rifle. They can be used but don’t expect holding prone size groups you read about on the net. Shooting off one takes a lot more consistency than being prone or on a bench.

-The EH1 is not suitable for a full length arca rail, there’s a good bump near the mag well, so you can’t get very close. Something like a 4 or 6” rail on there will allow you to reach the head of the tripod and make adjustments, and still allow you to attach directly. Shooting this way is okay but requires a steadier shooter than up near the mag well on the balance point.

-In the mean time, you could try a bag on your current ball head. This is an effective technique with alot of practice. Something like a pint sized game changer with git lite fill is around a pound and gives an alright size contact patch to stabilize the rifle. As far as bags go, the more contact you have between the rifle fore end and the bag, generally the more stable it becomes. This is the first thing I’d try if I were in your shoes.

- I don’t mind glassing with a ball head at all, in fact I kind of prefer it. That said a cheap ball head and direct attachment will leave you pissed, nothing worse than a cheap ball head that moves when you tighten. I use an rrs anvil for everything.

-center columns are the enemy when it comes to stability. Do what you can to avoid using it when shooting.

BBob

WKR
Made by Rokslide member LivetohuntID. He sells them direct as well as through Outdoorsmans.

Last edited:

worx53

WKR
Made by Rokslide a member LivetohuntID. He sells them direct as well as through Outdoorsmans.

These are the shizzle… I’ve purchased many and mounted them on several other guys stocks also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
Couple things to mention.

-depending on your tripod, you might be disappointed. Most tripods meant for glassing and being light are not a sturdy platform for a rifle. They can be used but don’t expect holding prone size groups you read about on the net. Shooting off one takes a lot more consistency than being prone or on a bench.

-The EH1 is not suitable for a full length arca rail, there’s a good bump near the mag well, so you can’t get very close. Something like a 4 or 6” rail on there will allow you to reach the head of the tripod and make adjustments, and still allow you to attach directly. Shooting this way is okay but requires a steadier shooter than up near the mag well on the balance point.

-In the mean time, you could try a bag on your current ball head. This is an effective technique with alot of practice. Something like a pint sized game changer with git lite fill is around a pound and gives an alright size contact patch to stabilize the rifle. As far as bags go, the more contact you have between the rifle fore end and the bag, generally the more stable it becomes. This is the first thing I’d try if I were in your shoes.

- I don’t mind glassing with a ball head at all, in fact I kind of prefer it. That said a cheap ball head and direct attachment will leave you pissed, nothing worse than a cheap ball head that moves when you tighten. I use an rrs anvil for everything.

-center columns are the enemy when it comes to stability. Do what you can to avoid using it when shooting.
Man this has ,e thinking of a few things. I think if I were to get a ball head the BH-30 may be the one. I like the pan function and it would be able to handle the weight of the rifle.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
Made by Rokslide a member LivetohuntID. He sells them direct as well as through Outdoorsmans.

I like the thought of this but it seems like there would be too much weight in the rear and would weigh it down. What are your thoughts on that. Seems like most people say get the arca rail as close as you can to the center of the rifle.

Bog also makes a saddle that is arca on the bottom that will go into your va5 if you just want to try tripod shooting.

I put arca plates on a couple rifles but quickly grew tired of buying and installing plates in multiple rifles so I picked up one of these. For my wife to try out.

Haven't used it much yet.

But a pint sized sticky gamer changer is a very versatile bag that im planning on carrying in the field and will most likely settle on using that,
For a rear bag if prone or on top of the tripod.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
Bog also makes a saddle that is arca on the bottom that will go into your va5 if you just want to try tripod shooting.

I put arca plates on a couple rifles but quickly grew tired of buying and installing plates in multiple rifles so I picked up one of these. For my wife to try out.

Haven't used it much yet.

But a pint sized sticky gamer changer is a very versatile bag that im planning on carrying in the field and will most likely settle on using that,
For a rear bag if prone or on top of the tripod.
Do you have a weight on that head?

Lawnboi

WKR
While I do think the balance point is the best spot for the most part, you can make further forward work. I can get along like this just fine from kneeling, so long as I can reach the head. With a bag you can ride the rifle wherever you want and don’t have any torque induced by trying to muscle the ball head around.

In the photo is an eh1 with a 4” area 419 arca rail on the front. Both tripod and bipod go on that rail.

48059F2C-8343-40C5-9D4A-3F536928792D.jpg

Sgtusmc14

Lil-Rokslider
https://stores.hogsaddle.com/gnn-xb-44dl-ball-head/ we had these made just for the purpose of having a ball head that can primarily used for optics but is strong enough to support a rifle. You can adjust the tension so that your rifle moves with shoulder pressure. Direct mount a rifle with an arca plate or use a hog/pig saddle

Big Ern

WKR
Arca all day.

I don’t hunt with a bipod, but do shoot off tripod if not using natural rest, etc.

On a manners or mcm stock, I add a 6” arca in front of the magwell/floorplate.

shooting off tripod is a game changer. Swap between binos, spotter, rifle all on the same tripod head with quick release (rrs anvil or leveling base)

Sgtusmc14

Lil-Rokslider
https://stores.hogsaddle.com/gnn-xb-44dl-ball-head/ we had these made just for the purpose of having a ball head that can primarily used for optics but is strong enough to support a rifle. You can adjust the tension so that your rifle moves with shoulder pressure. Direct mount a rifle with an arca plate or use a hog/pig saddle
That and a piglite-cf4 tripod (that is our carbon fiber version) and you are gtg

Made by Rokslide member LivetohuntID. He sells them direct as well as through Outdoorsmans.

Between me and my buddies we have around 8-10 of these. Absolutely love them.