To ARCA my rifle or not?

ID_Matt

WKR
If you have an atlas bipod already, it probably could easily be converted to an arca attachment and you can ditch the picatinny all together. Run a full or half rail and be able to easily slide off the bipod to attach to tripod, or leave it on and clamp in to tripod. The only draw back could be you may lose the smooth panning of the VA-5 if you switch to a ball head. The VA-5 is not ideal for shooting off of - it works but not the best because you'll have to move the legs to get level.

blazingangel09

Lil-Rokslider
I just installed on of the Salmon River Solutions mini Arca plates on my Bergara. I'm planning to test it this weekend it so far have been very impressed with the stability on my Black Ovis tripod.

Attachments

• IMG_20220515_180551.jpg
    IMG_20220515_180551.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 111

BBob

WKR
Looks just like another rail others mentioned. Are you guys installing this with the pic rail in the front and the arca in the rear?
Yes. I suppose you don't have to but the ARCA in the rear is the way it was designed and makes the most sense to me. There is also an integrated sling swivel boss on the rail behind the ARCA section and to use it I'd think you'd want it at the rear as well.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
Don’t waste your money on a clamp.

You can likely get an adapter for your bipod and go all arca if you want. That I think leaves you with the most versatility plus you can move your bipod around as well.
Area 419 sells an ARCA mount for Atlas bipods. Man I wish some of you guys lived closer. I would love to see your system in person.

Looks just like another rail others mentioned. Are you guys installing this with the pic rail in the front and the arca in the rear?
Exactly that way. Works great. In our group we have some of the outdoorsman + pic rail also. They work equally as well. On a lighter gun 6-8lbs you can get the rifle to balance freely even with the rail mounted all the way forward on the stock. Must be done with a quality tripod though.

6.5x284

WKR
I like the thought of this but it seems like there would be too much weight in the rear and would weigh it down. What are your thoughts on that. Seems like most people say get the arca rail as close as you can to the center of the rifle.

a8173cd44a4076098e4e3ab4c8f84e00.jpg

I have no issues running mine attached at the very front. Your shoulder will take most of the weight anyway. I prefer to run forward with left arm locked inverted on tripod leg or around front of stock pulling rearward depending on situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
a8173cd44a4076098e4e3ab4c8f84e00.jpg

I have no issues running mine attached at the very front. Your shoulder will take most of the weight anyway. I prefer to run forward with left arm locked inverted on tripod leg or around front of stock pulling rearward depending on situation.

What does that rifle weigh? Also do you glass off that RRS head?

Lawnboi

WKR
Area 419 sells an ARCA mount for Atlas bipods. Man I wish some of you guys lived closer. I would love to see your system in person.
Spend the extra on an rrs adapter for your atlas. That will take picatinny and arca.

Iv played the game going from my old slik glassing tripod with a clamp to a full on RRS setup. Tried clamped on, arca attach, picatinny attach, shooting bags of various size and shape. One thing for sure is that it takes some practice with whatever you choose, add a case of ammo to that cost.

Last edited:

6.5x284

WKR
What does that rifle weigh? Also do you glass off that RRS head?

It’s exactly 8.2 Lbs loaded with suppressor on.

I actually glass and shoot off the new wiser precision nighthawk head I think it’s called. This is actually a Spartan bipod adapter holding the rifle in this picture on an Arca plate. I had my 24 lb match rifle on prior so had this RRS base on. You can glass off it but it’s heavy compared to the nighthawk. For PRS and NRL matches I glass off this rrs head though.

Last edited:
A ball head is a big step down as a glassing platform in my opinion. I love my va5 head.

As a compromise, and because I also don’t want to drill unnecessary holes in a $800-$1k stock, I am trying the SAP run and gun bag on top of my va5 head. So far, it’s OK, I have had good luck using it cross-legged using my knees as support, but I prefer fashioning my pack as a rear rest. I wish the bag had the tacky material on the gun side as well as the bottom.
Are you just laying the SAP on top of the head, or do you have them connected with plate of some sort?

I personally use a full length ARCA rail and attach my bipod and tripod to it. It's just faster and more versatile that way.

JjamesIII

WKR
I just had a 300 WSM built off a tikka action and have a Manners EH1 stock. Right now I have a pic rail on the front and shoot off a Atlas bipod. The arca system intrigues me but I do not want to install to find out I do not like it. So what are everyone's thoughts? My other concerns are What ball head should I switch to. Currently using the VA-5. I worry I wont like glassing with a ball head.
Arca the thing! They are very unobtrusive on the rifle and give you a great additional option for shooting. I paired mine to a sturdy monfroto aluminum tripod that I had originally used with a hog saddle. The tripod can literally go from bench rest accurate in 9” prone, up to standing height for me at 6’ 1”.

It takes practice using the set up on anything higher than sitting. Learn to use your sling to wrap a leg on the tripod and offer supporting tension. You’ll be able to shoot much farther than you would expect.
Downside is obviously weight. The heavier the tripod is, it’s going to be much more stable. Don’t try to go cheap and light, or it will be of no value and you’ll just be wasting money. I probably have $300 into my set up buying components on good sales. The prs guys go crazy with huge carbon fiber units that are very expensive.

I don’t take my set up on extended hunts up and down mountains. Nor would I carry it in situations where visibility would prohibit longer shots. I like to bring the set up out for stationary shooting points where you can glass overlooking a lot terrain. Think sniper firing position, not quickly deploying for unforeseen shot opportunities. Ground hog and coyote hunts are great practical training for what you’ll be doing in the fall.

Btw- before you start drilling into your stock, find the balance point of your rifle. The closer you mount your Arca plate to the center of mass, the more stable it will be. I see some guys trying to mount too far forward like it’s a standard bipod.