To buck or not to buck

Here’s a fun thought and question that I’m interested in seeing reflected by fellow roksliders. So you’re bow hunter who can travel to Eastern Oregon. You can take 10 days to bow hunt elk and mule deer or just one of the two. Do you attempt to hunt both animals by splitting up days for areas holding bulls and bucks. As we all know they tend to like different things even if they are seen in the same vicinities. Or do you try to find an area holding both? What would you do, how would you do it, and what would be your tactics. Let’s hear it boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justin84

Lil-Rokslider
How well do you know the area?

Unless I'm super familiar with it and I know my chances of getting a buck in a few days, I think trying to hunt two animals would be a distraction.

OP
bguitierez
How well do you know the area?

Unless I'm super familiar with it and I know my chances of getting a buck in a few days, I think trying to hunt two animals would be a distraction.

True true. That is a very valid point sir. So let’s say I know the area well enough that I have seen elk and mule deer within the same 5 mile Radius But if you had 10 to 15 days would you be more open to splitting up the days. And focusing on one animal Even if you have to change unit?

justin84

Lil-Rokslider
How difficult/expensive is the elk tag to get? If it's not something I can draw and/or afford often I don't think I could worry about shooting a deer too; I'd be solely focused on that elk.

OP
bguitierez
How difficult/expensive is the elk tag to get? If it's not something I can draw and/or afford often I don't think I could worry about shooting a deer too; I'd be solely focused on that elk.

Thank you bud. See this is why I’m posing the question to other hunters. I tend to be a more extreme person in every aspect of my life. So the voice in my head says “Well why not?” It’s good to hear from more level headed dudes!

My disqualifiers for hunting multiple species would be if both tags are limited entry, if buying both tags would hurt me financially, or if one species is a once in a lifetime hunt to me. Even if one tag took years to draw I might still grab the other tag if it's over the counter. You never know when you might see that buck or bull of a lifetime and I'd rather have the tag than not.

OP
bguitierez
My disqualifiers for hunting multiple species would be if both tags are limited entry, if buying both tags would hurt me financially, or if one species is a once in a lifetime hunt to me. Even if one tag took years to draw I might still grab the other tag if it's over the counter. You never know when you might see that buck or bull of a lifetime and I'd rather have the tag than not.

Having the tag is always a nice thing for piece of mind. If both are OTC what say you?

street

WKR
I focus one. Hunt them down. I'm way too obsessive and I have to focus on one hunt. That's part of why I hunt also.

OP
bguitierez
I focus one. Hunt them down. I'm way too obsessive and I have to focus on one hunt. That's part of why I hunt also.

It’s a good way to be. For me I try to focus. But as luck usually has it. I’m looking for one thing and the other thing shows up! Haha

rwchunter

FNG
Here’s a fun thought and question that I’m interested in seeing reflected by fellow roksliders. So you’re bow hunter who can travel to Eastern Oregon. You can take 10 days to bow hunt elk and mule deer or just one of the two. Do you attempt to hunt both animals by splitting up days for areas holding bulls and bucks. As we all know they tend to like different things even if they are seen in the same vicinities. Or do you try to find an area holding both? What would you do, how would you do it, and what would be your tactics. Let’s hear it boys.

If you’re a resident, and both tags are OTC, get both. Not out to much $, And double your chance of bringing home some steaks.

Wapiti1

WKR
I always get extra tags be they deer or black bear. If I tag out on my primary animal, usually elk, I keep hunting for secondary animals. I travel too far not to and going home early is not an option.

Jeremy

OP
bguitierez
I always get extra tags be they deer or black bear. If I tag out on my primary animal, usually elk, I keep hunting for secondary animals. I travel too far not to and going home early is not an option.

Jeremy

Hmm. That’s a dam good way to look at it too. While I don’t have to travel as far I’m still traveling. If I am lucky enough to kill with time to spare and I know there’s secondary animals then yeah it would be great to go for them. Shit we have a shelf life. I don’t want to leave anything in the table. Thanks brother.

IdahoElk

WKR
My priority would be Elk with a deer tag in my pocket as a lot of times you will stumble into a buck by chance while after Elk. If you do have success with Elk then you can go after Deer.

OP
bguitierez
My priority would be Elk with a deer tag in my pocket as a lot of times you will stumble into a buck by chance while after Elk. If you do have success with Elk then you can go after Deer.

You know, that’s kinda the way I’m looking at it too. The household wants an elk purely for meal reasons. I get it. But the little kid in me just loves a good mule deer buck haha.

A few years ago I took 4 days off at the beginning of archery elk season. It was hot and elk were hard to find. Ended up sitting water. Shot a 300 ish lb bear and a 168" mulie. Buy the deer tag.