To Dovetail or Not?

CO-AJ

WKR
I could use some advice from the forum and those of you who have been shooting string and stick for years. I just purchased my first bow and I went with the Mathews V3X 33. While I wait for it to arrive I have started looking at various sights, and wanted to get feedback on dovetail mount vs. traditional. I have purchased a Redline RL2 single post sight but am wondering if I should go with a spot hogg or another with the dovetail bar? I will not be hunting with the bow initially as I need much practice first, but would like to get feedback from the Rokslide pros on a dovetail setup vs a more traditional setup.

Well if you are going to hunt a lot and do some camping style hunts I would get a bolt mounted sight. A dovetail loosens and moves by design, I wouldn’t want that on my hunting bow.

I've got the same bow. I didn't really think the Bridge-lock was that cool or useful when I bought the bow, I was mostly excited about the longer platform and more forgiving brace height. I have come to really like the way the dovetail sights articulate with the riser.

It's a hunting bow for me, which means I am using the quivalizer. When I mount the quivalizer in the standard upright quiver position it sits much closer to the bow and doesn't require as much tinkering to get it to mount like I want it to. I must say that the rest probably has more to do with that than the sight but they all work together.

The bow balances so much better with all the accessories running tighter to the centerline of the bow.

Just my anecdotal observations but I would absolutely get a sight that takes advantage of the Bridge-lock system.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

87TT

WKR
Have dovetail MBG sights on both bows and no issues. Never come loose or caused a problem. I like being able to adjust my sight picture in my peep.

A dovetail bar gives you more range of adjustment in how far the sight housing sits in front of the riser, which makes it easier to get the housing to fit perfectly within the peep when shooting. It looks like the Redline RL2 has 3 horizontal mounting holes, so you'll have some adjustability...a dovetail bar would just give you more range of adjustment.

Loose screws can be an issue with any accessory. I wouldn’t let that factor into my decision at all. Like any other screw on your bow, make sure the screws that lock the dovetail bar in place are tightened properly and consider using some Loctite.

Even my "Traditional" non dovetail sights I have been pushing in/out to fine tune the torque tuning. Just depends on how much you tinker I guess. It's not something you hafta do, but especially with the bridge lock I think it's an accessory you won't be taking advantage of. My hunting bows haven't had dovetails on them, just saw it as extra weight I didn't need. However my current bow has a hogg father instead of the Tommy's I usually use. I just think the bridgelock is a more durable mounting system and I like how slick the bow is with it. I have been considering cutting the extra length of dovetail off to save a few more ounces, just cause I tend to worry about those things that don't matter.

Not going to see a huge advantage to it, more just what you want.

Marble

WKR
I would be more concerned with what sight I'm going to use. Then what it's available in. Overall, it's a minor detail that will not increase your hunting success.

Might be slimmer of lighter, or be closer to center line of the bow. But it's not something that is a game changer.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

ncavi8tor

WKR
I'm using the Bridgelock on my 33 and 29. It definitely helps with the balance to the point that I don't need a sidebar with these bows for a very steady hold. It is a very robust connection with the Black Gold Dovetails. The screw is not going to loosen if installed correctly.

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

boonez40

Lil-Rokslider
A dove tail sight gives you the ability to increase your sight radius. This will improve accuracy.
Plus you can do sight swap outs that are painless. I have several different sights for different set ups.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
CO-AJ

CO-AJ

WKR
Appreciate everyone's comments. I think for now I will stick to the RL2 and maybe eventually go to either the Mathews, Spot Hogg, or Black Gold. As this is my first bow I am sure I will have plenty of opportunity for the next best thing...

bow-hunt

FNG
I could use some advice from the forum and those of you who have been shooting string and stick for years. I just purchased my first bow and I went with the Mathews V3X 33. While I wait for it to arrive I have started looking at various sights, and wanted to get feedback on dovetail mount vs. traditional. I have purchased a Redline RL2 single post sight but am wondering if I should go with a spot hogg or another with the dovetail bar? I will not be hunting with the bow initially as I need much practice first, but would like to get feedback from the Rokslide pros on a dovetail setup vs a more traditional setup.

I've used both dovetail and fixed mount MBG sights on my VXR. With the dovetail, it pushes the sight about a 1/4" right, because of the mounting block. With the thickness of the VXR riser and the dovetail block, I needed to purchase a longer windage bar from MBG, and that barely gave me enough horizontal adjustment. With the fixed mount, I didn't have that problem.

If I had bridgelock on a v3x I'd get the dove tail. But with a bow without bridgelock I'd get a standardmounting sight. Quivers really stick out on non bridgelock dovetail unless you have a two piece. With a standard mount sight I can flip the tight spot part and get the quiver very close to the riser that way.

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
ill throw in my vote for dovetail. Made the switch 2 seasons ago and never looked back. Helped me torque tune which made me more accurate.

Lowg08

WKR
I shoot a dovetail for 3D and direct bolt for hunting. One fall with a dove tail (unless you have it marked ) you could be screwed.

If you do a lot of flying it can be nice to use a dovetail. That way you can disassemble you bow easier and protect your sight during travel.

For those of you potentially looking at picking up a v3x being there are some deals being they are last year's model I just got the following.
V3x 29
Tight spot rise 5 arrow quiver(old model)
Black gold whitetail 3 pin non dovetail
Hamskea hunter hybrid rest
6" flatline stabilizer

I got the bow as an upgrade from my 10 year old bear method and bridgelock was not my main draw. I figured I can always upgrade to a dovetail sight bar later. I was worried the quiver would sit way out being mounted to the black gold sight but it sits very tight, to where limb clearance is a concern if you are not careful. I couldn't find much info on the non Bridge lok sight and tightspot mounting question I had so I figured I'd share.

Attachments

• 20230204_214022.jpg
    20230204_214022.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230203_214824.jpg
    20230203_214824.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 14