To early for stove?

gchs4464

FNG
I’ll be going elk hunting in southern Colorado September 14-21. Is that to early to bring my cylinder stove or is it worth packing. Weight of shelter and stove would be split between three guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jbehredt

WKR
You’ll have a good idea the day you leave the vehicles. Bring it to CO hoping you can leave it it in the truck. Can be cold and snowy, probably be looking for shady spots to stay cool in though.

I packed mine last season during those dates. Came in really handy a couple nights. Splitting it up between 3 guys would make that decision easy for me.

stratofisher

Lil-Rokslider
There is usually one day out of the week that is bad snow mix in my experience around that time of the year. Nothing too bad, but the stove would be nice if you are splitting weight.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Every opening weekend in August that I have gone, standing water has been frozen opening morning. So no, middle of September is not too early to bring a stove. I hate those cold mornings, and having a stove or heat source is great.......if only for an hour in the mornings.

CLibka

Lil-Rokslider
Temp last year around that time in September at night routinely dropped to around 30. Is that gonna kill you? ... no. But it sure is nice to wake up to a dry warm shelter. The temperature might not be a big issue to you, but the drying ability of the stove should be. If you can't get gear dry it can make for a challenging hunt. So for that reason alone I will always pack the stove, especially split by 3, i'd say it is a no brainer.

I can picture myself taking the time to light a fire one morning in the last 5 years of archery season. The days are so long I don't have the time to burn during "prime time" to mess with a fire unless the weather is just miserable like snowing sideways. It's sure possible during mid September but it doesn't happen that often. Like previously stated it's not a bad idea to bring it, and you'll know whether you want to pack it the day you leave the truck.