To early to rattle?

Ok, so most years I hunt blacktails in the Oregon Cascades in the first half of October. I have never really tried rattling because it seems too far before the rut. But this year about the 8th, I glassed up two mature bucks with locked horns, pushing each other around (of course, after I got to shooting range they were gone).

But it got me wondering…if I’m seeing this kind of activity in early October, could rattling be a viable tactic? Anyone have success rattling at this time of year?

NWBLKTAIL

FNG
I can't speak for that Far East as I am from the farthest reaches on the coast, that early could still be just establishing who has the dominance in an area. maybe some light rattle setups to get them curious about who is sparring in their area. I don't think that early the testosterone would be flowing so I don't know beating a set of rattlers to death would be a good answer, maybe just play it for the time of year and what you are seeing.
this is just my opinion and theories so take it with a grain of salt but I have had similar thoughts early in the season before things heat up. I have not taken a buck with this method but have had some good encounters. It is something a may try a bit more of.