To Fly or not to Fly for an Elk Hunt?

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
Good afternoon everyone. So for next year I am thinking once again about applying for New Mexico for an elk hunt with Blue Mountain Outfitters. I along with a few friends participated in an elk hunt with them several years ago and we were supposed to try to go again this year but things didn’t work out. It appears that currently I am the only one showing any interest in going back in 2020 largely due to others having health issues and a few others just not showing interest. It will not be long until the guide starts calling to get all the paperwork rolling. So with that being the possible case I am thinking about the possibility of flying out this time. I have made that trip several times via highway so I have seen everything I care to see along that stretch of road. I live in North Alabama just to be clear. I have never flown before when going on a hunt so that is why I am reaching out to all of you who have for advice. So living close to Huntsville International Airport the 3 main airlines are Delta, United and American. If I flew out of Huntsville I would probably choose American. I believe I can drive up to Nashville and catch a direct flight to Albuquerque and cut down on the connecting flights. So what I was hoping I could learn from all of you are things like what type of travel case for the rifles, which airline do you prefer for this type of outing and why, how much to expect to pay when shipping meat back and horns assuming I harvest, should I fly out and drive back but that is assuming once again. I know each airline has their policy information out there for trips like this so I plan on reading that but typically there is this thing called tribal knowledge that is not captured in policy literature and that is where all of you come in. As always I thank you for your info.

Jorge400

FNG
Living in ATL I usually fly Delta but I have also flown US Airways and United with firearms and it has never been an issue domestically. Read and be familiar with their policies. I usually get there an hour earlier than I normally would as you never know if you may run into somewhat not real familiar with firearms (rarely but it does happen) or if you get behind the Italian Symphony when you check your firearm at TSA (this really happened to me).

As for travel cases, I've used SKB and Tuffpak. You will have to lock, unlock and lock them back so be sure to have your key. I once had to give my extra key to a stranger in the Denver airport who thought he had to fly with his case unlocked and did not bother to bring his key. TSA locked it up for him (they have keys to just about any lock made) but he had no way of unlocking it (yes, the SKB keys are mostly all the same for 15+ year old cases).

I'm not sure what to tell you about cost to ship elk meat and antlers/skull back. I've managed to get deer meat home on the plane for not too much cost and we always box and ship the antlers ($200-$300). Elk are a different story. Ask the outfitter what processor and taxidermist they use and check with them. I elected to drive home with my elk meat and trophies this past November. One buddy told me to expect several hundred dollars to ship the antlers back (if the skull is not split). Another told me he spent $175 to have elk meat shipped home in October from just north of Denver. I was not all the meat though. I know Delta charges $30 for the first checked bag, $40 for the second, $150 for the third, $200 for the fourth and $100-$200 for weights over 50 lbs but less than 100 lbs.

Be sure to check with your outfitter. They should know the drill. I've never used an outfitter out west so we always have to figure this out on our own.

OP
T

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
well if I drive a good 8 to 10 hours that puts me just right outside of Oklahoma city and then that same time puts me in Albuquerque and then just an hour or so from there to camp. In all I take about 2 to 2.5 days to get there. I take my time and don't really drive at night. I don't drive well at night.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I am huge "not to fly" guy anywhere feasible. A lot of my hunting friends think I'm crazy. As an example... I drive 30 hours each way to Northern Minnesota and back home to Northern California every November. I'd rather spend 30 hours in the truck then spend a 14 hour day flying up there... And then figuring out how to get my gear, my meat, renting a car or shuttle service, shipping or checking bags to get everything back home... I end up saving a lot of money and headache by just driving everywhere.

I've really learned to cherish the road trips and time driving across our awesome country... Even if it's a drive I've done many many times.

paxamus

WKR
I agree that the drive from Alabama to NM is a LOOONNNGG drive- I made it from just below Birmingham to NM for my elk hunt last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you’re about the same distance as me. But we split the drive and we’re so excited to be elk hunting that we get there in a little under two. I’m sure you’ll hear lots of guys say this: If you have the time just drive. If you’re taking your time and sleeping along the way you shouldn’t be too wore out when you get there. There are a ton of really nice benefits of driving. You know them I’m sure. I guess a factor could be if you don’t mind paying the money to ship your gear (take meat in the plane) back home or pay for extra baggage then you could fly to save time and the work of driving. Otherwise it sure us nice to take what you want on the way out and as much as you have to on the way home. That’s the bottom line.

Another question would be will your outfitter pick up and drop off at the airport?

OJHunter

FNG
I am from Birmingham and drove the last 2 years but flew this year. Flying was much easier than I expected. It was really very easy except for a delay in Chicago on the way out. PM me and I will be glad to share what I learned.

Some people have more time than money.
Some people have more money than time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I am huge "not to fly" guy anywhere feasible. A lot of my hunting friends think I'm crazy. As an example... I drive 30 hours each way to Northern Minnesota and back home to Northern California every November. I'd rather spend 30 hours in the truck then spend a 14 hour day flying up there... And then figuring out how to get my gear, my meat, renting a car or shuttle service, shipping or checking bags to get everything back home... I end up saving a lot of money and headache by just driving everywhere.

I've really learned to cherish the road trips and time driving across our awesome country... Even if it's a drive I've done many many times.

This.

Flying anywhere to hunt, especially a DIY hunt seems like a logistical PITA. I’d rather take the extra vacation and drive. Not to mention I kind of enjoy it.