to go back or not to go back.

barmar65

Lil-Rokslider
I am a week after returning home from Wyoming from my first archery elk hunt. I had a great time with some opportunities, but tag went unfilled. My dilemma is i have a week off coming up and out just happens to fall on the start of the rifle elk season........hhhhhmmmmm.

Shrek

WKR
Thats a no brainer in my world. There is hunting time and getting ready to hunt time. When I'm working I'm making money to hunt with and day dreaming about hunting. If the season is open I'm hunting...period ! It's not like there is a 24/7/365 elk season.

sk1

WKR
if you have the time and funds to go back.....do it!

remember you're going to have to think about elk hunting all year long wishing you would have gotten one....either way you'll think about elk hunting every day until next season if you're like me....but it will be that much easier with a tag filled and meat in the freezer!

Do it!

I've struggled with time to hunt and have NEVER regretted going afterwards.

Also, I've found out some pretty good info on unplanned trips.

OP
B

barmar65

Lil-Rokslider
The only thing slowing me down right now is funds are a bit light and the wife might not be very thrilled with the idea of a third trip to Wyoming in 3 months.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you can swing it, go! You still have a chance to fill the freezer, and could learn something valuable for a future archery hunt even if you punch this tag with your rifle.

The only thing slowing me down right now is funds are a bit light and the wife might not be very thrilled with the idea of a third trip to Wyoming in 3 months.
As much as I love to go, i understand this one, as I am occasionally the wife at home too. Not sure what obligations she has (work, kids, etc.) but it might help if you find a way to include her somehow. Can you take her along? If she would enjoy it, invite her to join you. If she wouldnt enjoy it, or is otherwise obligated then find some other way to do something for her during the time you have off. Maybe come back a day or two early to spend time with her, and/or take her to do something she has been wanting to do?

OP
B

barmar65

Lil-Rokslider
Great advice Becca , she has been wanting a family vacation and I think it would be only fair to plan something nice for us too do this next year

OP
B

barmar65

Lil-Rokslider
The why nots are family peace, 2000+ mile round trip with gas at 3.90 a gallon, and almost no extra vacation time left. I have a week off to go and that's about it. I really want to, but we will see I guess. The reasons to go are, unfilled tag for a unit that takes max points to draw. 7 years to get the tag, hate to not give it every chance I can. Just have too justify the extra time and moneyto my wife, hard for her to understand being a non hunter.

Hardstalk

WKR
I may come in the oddball here.. And cringe for the feed back ill recieve. My wife and i are a team in every sense of the word. We agree that she has her time, i have my time, and we have our time together. Its quite a balance to say the least. With that being said i have 2 extreme hunters renting studios from me that have been married several times each and cant quite figure out why there single. They will both say. " hunting season only comes once a year, if they dont like it they can kick rocks" but in reality my hunting seasons are year long. I shoot daily, read forums to expand my hunting knowledge, read hunting books while in bed. And scout areas ill never draw a tag for with every free weekend. When you sit back and reflect these women deal with alot of our hobbies. Day in and day out. Just some food for thought good women are tough to come by and in my opinion deserve to have what they want. ( within reason) :)

OP
B

barmar65

Lil-Rokslider
Ya she does put up with alot of things, ice fishing, open water fishing, hunting, football, and just me being myself in general.

WV Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I feel your pain. I have an unpunched tag for Wyoming as well. I had a nice bull (maybe 300") at 20 yards and could not squeeze an arrow to him. I keep thinking I could go back for rifle but it would really be pushing the vacation well past the max point here at work. My wife is a awesome, she took care of our 3 kids, worked and unpacked from the move to the new house we closed on 5 days before I left for Wyoming. She would cringe if I asked if she would mind another trip but she'd give me a kiss and tell me to be carefull. Not sure I have it in me to do it to her again. Factor in the 3500 mile round trip, upcoming deer and bear hunts at home and I think I'll just keep dreaming of what might have been and hunt harder next year.

wapitibob

WKR
Only you can decide if it's worth it. My type one tag will span 2 weeks so I can archery the first week and rifle the second.

JasonWi

WKR
That is a tough question. I understand wanting to go back. I just returned from a WY antelope hunt, I'd be hard pressed to ask her if I could leave for another 2500 mile 1 week trip.

Sometimes accepting what might of been vs doing it .... means way more to ours wifes than we realize...IMO

Shrek

WKR
I would let her decide what she wants. Lay out the facts and how you would like to go but that she is more important to you and do not want to take advantage of her. She sould make the call at this point.

Oh the guilt. Often we put it on ourselves when we should not. It's like the fellow in the wilderness that starts thinking i should be home doing this or that chore, next thing is....he is throwing his stuff in his rig because he walked out. Bring her with if possible

OP
B

barmar65

Lil-Rokslider
Well as of right now it appears as though i am going back to Wyoming Oct 15 to give it another try with the rifle. Gonna be interesting going back by myself, but it should be a great time again