To guide lid or not to guide lid...

Guide lid on a fulcrum?

• Total voters
Question for anyone who's used a guide lid.
Got a fulcrum recently, and will be my primary winter/cold weather backpacking pack, and used for any backpack hunting that is more than just day hunts. I want to preface the question by saying I'm like 6'7" 320#(ish) and all my gear and clothes are fit accordingly. By that, I mean that my sleeping bag is a tall and wide, puffys are 2x-3x and tall if it's available, tents/tarps have to be longer, etc...

So I am debating on a guide lid while they're on sale. I think the original guide lid would be more useful overall. But I'm not sure about the cordura vs xpac (hell, I'm not even sure if a guide lid would be useful, as this is by far the biggest pack I've ever used). I don't think I would use it as a stand alone pack, because it just doesn't seem comfortable like that to me. But being able to fill up the fulcrum and use the cinch closure is something I could see being used if I'm carrying stuff for the old lady, or an extended backpacking trip in cold weather. The biggest pack I've used for cool weather was an 80-ish liter pack and it was quite full and not super comfortable at 95#. My only legitimate cold weather camping has been near my truck, where I had anything I needed.

I'll only be using this fulcrum for training for the next year as I want have time for camping this winter. Hopefully I'll be helping a friend in Montana next season for whatever he can draw a tag for (he's moving there presently and I'll be along to get the feel for it) and hunting for myself out west the following season.

Thanks in advance for everyone's thoughts!

bsnedeker

WKR
I use a lid about 1 trip out of three. They come in handy for stuff you need to get to quickly like food, battery packs, miscellaneous stuff. I cut the shoulder straps off mine because that just seems silly.

I say get one. If you end up liking it, keep it. If you don't you can sell it for basically what you pay.

I would get the original lid in xpac... gives your stuff a bit of protection from the rain.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
I am about the same as above. I keep my rain gear in it and if the weather doesn't require it, I run no lid or the regular. It is a handy storage pouch if nothing else.

Use my Guide Lid every trip on my DT1 and AMR bags (7200 & 7800ci respectively). It’s far to useful for me to leave at home. My rain jacket rides in there on the bottom side. In the big pocket I keep my wipes, charging battery, Inreach mini, and usually some gloves, beanie, or neck gaiter. Anything that needs a quick stab and retrieval.

I’ve used the guide lid to carry bladders to the creek to refill, as a quick detach scout pack up a drainage, as a stand alone pack when I know I won’t need a full pack with me. I’ve trimmed mine up to 8oz and can’t ever see not taking it with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlgc20

WKR
I always take the lid off of my pack. Not worth the weight for the little volume they provide. Every once in a while I will put the lid on when I’m hiking with the family and carrying a giant tent and lots of extra gear. Otherwise, I don’t see the need.

I like and use version on my MR packs. I would say about 1/3 the time I use it as a stuff sack inside the pack bag. I like having it for short trips away from camp. As a lid they can hold bulky items on the pack ame add organization.

WJS23

WKR
I would definitely get the OG guide lid, I have been using my emr2 with the guide lid for the past 4 years. I prefer the og because the fact that it had the straps that you can use as a pack on it’s own to go do what ever you need to do. Also I use it as a pack for icefishing for baiting traps

Lawnboi

WKR
Got rid of my lids for the fulcrum and just use a large belt pouch as a lid. Less straps, gives a little organization without flopping all over the place.

The only kifaru lid I though worked well as a lid, was the long hunter. Had a guide and OGL and they just didn’t seem to be part of the fulcrum.

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
Using a lid is about the only way I can manage not smashing my lunch. I use a seek outside peregrine which has a ton of outer pockets for organizing. I still put a kifaru x-pac OGL on it for more organization (and my lunch).

Jimss

WKR
There's no way I would go without the guide lid. As mentioned above it's super useful for quick access. I have 2 packs and in super wet weather the lid also keeps rain and snow from getting inside the main compartment. I'm pretty sure Kifaru makes a lid with compartments but I like the extra room because I often put raingear and other larger items in it. The lid has a couple straps that I often use to secure jacket, antlers, etc to the outside of my pack. I often strap antlers on the outside of the bag down on top of my pack with the lid and straps securing it.

I bought one and used it on my Hoodlum this year when packing camp in and out. It stayed at camp the rest of the time. Getting to things in that pack is easy enough without the lid when hunting. But it was handy for humping camp and gear in and out.