To hunt private land in CO… need their LPP tag?

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
Never hunted the West or any place with PP and the like. Decided on an diy antelope hunt but learned it might be best to build up a few PPs.

Realized I had an open invite to hunt a farm in CO for mule deer. Buddy doesn't hunt big game himself and said "I think we could put you on a nice, grain-fed buck". Says he's in a good unit so tough to draw tags.

If I understand correctly, the landowner puts into the LPP draw. IF he gets drawn, he may use the tag or sell it. Am I right?

Would the buyer (hopefully me) need to do anything else, except for buying a non-resident General Big Game License?

ahlgringo

WKR
He will get a voucher for a tag- not the tag itself. He can then either use the voucher himself in order to purchase a tag, or sign it over to someone else who may then use it in order to redeem it for a tag. If he signs the voucher over to you, you then must purchase the tag ie: pay either the resident or non-resident fee for that species/season/etc. You must also have a qualifying license ( small game, fishing, etc) just like any other resident/non-resident hunter.

sndmn11

WKR
He will get a voucher for a tag- not the tag itself. He can then either use the voucher himself in order to purchase a tag, or sign it over to someone else who may then use it in order to redeem it for a tag. If he signs the voucher over to you, you then must purchase the tag ie: pay either the resident or non-resident fee for that species/season/etc. You must also have a qualifying license ( small game, fishing, etc) just like any other resident/non-resident hunter.
I think a qualifying license is only for when applying for a draw. I am pretty sure that a non-application scenario does not require the qualifying license.

OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
I re-visited this thread and was surprised to see a reply from me not here. I did it from my phone and must have not actually hit the "post reply" button.

I am sure it said something to the effect of: Thanks for the replies. I had viewed the Regs but it was the term voucher that me thrown off track. I understand it more now.

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
Like said above you do not need a qualifying license if you are buying a landowner voucher, OTC, or a leftover tag.

Make sure you know that PLO tags mean just that...private land only. They can be extremely limiting if the land you are hunting is in close proximity to public land. I had a PLO deer tag this year and didn't see any shooters on private. I didn't hunt deer too hard, as my main focus was on the elk tag that I had. But, I did see a decent mule deer buck on public within shooting range that I had to pass on.