To Lift or Not?

colersu22

WKR
I have a 2017 Chevy Silverado High Country that i got new. Immediately put a 6.5” zone suspension lift, 35/12.5/20 wildpeak At3 tires, color matched fender flares, a Corsa sport exhaust, -19” ballistic rage rims, and did a Diablo tuner. I love the ride of my truck, i get very minimal rub at absolute full lock. I have 48k miles on it in 2.5yrs and the honkey tonk is
1a689f67b9c4fd436cd4185fcca623e7.jpg

always off road for hunting/camping/fishing adventures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kind of cover is that on your bed?

Rob5589

WKR
I lifted my 19 Ram 2" with Bilsteins in front and a small spacer in the rear. I also had a 33.5" tire installed. Both of took care of the scraping issues in front, no loss in power or mpg. A small lift and reasonably sized tires should not cause issues.

Maverick1

WKR
I have a 2017 Chevy Silverado High Country that i got new. Immediately put a 6.5” zone suspension lift, 35/12.5/20 wildpeak At3 tires, color matched fender flares, a Corsa sport exhaust, -19” ballistic rage rims, and did a Diablo tuner. I love the ride of my truck, i get very minimal rub at absolute full lock. I have 48k miles on it in 2.5yrs and the honkey tonk is
1a689f67b9c4fd436cd4185fcca623e7.jpg

always off road for hunting/camping/fishing adventures

How much did all those additional items cost?

Fatcamp

WKR
Just remember, the difference between four wheel drive and two wheel drive is the distance you have to walk after you get stuck. I assume the same thing applies for a lift ;)

No. I see this all the time but my 4wd vehicles take me places that are not complicated but no 2wd would ever go.

VenaticOppidan

Lil-Rokslider
How much did all those additional items cost?

One of my best friend owns a major dealership so i essentially got the lift installed for free, as well as i traded the factory rims and tires (22”)for the rims i have and a few hundred bucks. I also got the tonneau gently used for 1000, they are about 2k new. Love to have nice things, but also like to get a deal

So...

Tune 300
Lift. 1300
Tires. 800
Flares 200
Exhaust 1200
Tonneau 1000
Tint. 200

So roughly 5kish

Marble

WKR
I've never had the need to lift my truck. Sometimes the front or receiver will rub on a steep elevation change, but rarely.

There has never been s time I wasn't able to go somewhere because my truck wasn't high enough.

I can say that the leveling kits do make the trucks look better. But I haven't gotten one yet. I like the way the higher trucks look, but darn they always ride like crazy when lifted.

IME, good tires, not the tires designed for everything under the sun, but the tires designed for off road use make the biggest difference when hitting mud and snow.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

WTFJohn

WKR
'16 Duramax here; just raised the front end enough to clear 285/65R20 KO2s (~34.5" tall). Swapped the shocks for Icon 2.5" dia with piggyback reservoirs. I tow misc size trailers, biggest currently is a 10k lb 20' flatbed and don't have any issues with the rear being too low provided I load the trailer right.

If this truck with V-bar chains won't get me where I want to go, my boots or UTV will. I wouldn't lift my truck for hunting purposes, the last thing I want on windy mountain roads or when towing is a higher center of gravity.

I was going to lift my '20 RAM w/ ORP but after wheeling it in CO, I decided against it. The ORP does give me another 1" of clearance, skid plates, etc. I cleared all obstacles on Cinnamon Pass, Corkscrew Gulch, and Imogene Pass by picking good lines and only kissed the skid plates a couple times when I made poor choices. Additionally, our hunting property is difficult to access with its steep climbs and rutted roads, and I've found better value out of the lockable rear diff than more lift.

MeatBuck

WKR
One of my best friend owns a major dealership so i essentially got the lift installed for free, as well as i traded the factory rims and tires (22”)for the rims i have and a few hundred bucks. I also got the tonneau gently used for 1000, they are about 2k new. Love to have nice things, but also like to get a deal

So...

Tune 300
Lift. 1300
Tires. 800
Flares 200
Exhaust 1200
Tonneau 1000
Tint. 200

So roughly 5kish

1200$ exhaust kit... holy shit man! I did my 3.0l to 3.4l engine swap for cheaper.

5k$? For that? A smart guy would be buying a decent older Toyota that’s already set up for some pretty extreme off-road situations. More extreme than most guys would ever need for hunting.

VenaticOppidan

Lil-Rokslider
1200$ exhaust kit... holy shit man! I did my 3.0l to 3.4l engine swap for cheaper.

5k$? For that? A smart guy would be buying a decent older Toyota that’s already set up for some pretty extreme off-road situations. More extreme than most guys would ever need for hunting.

It’s set up exactly how i like. I know a lot of guys that have paid 10-15k for similar upgrades to their Rigs.

To clarify, my truck isn’t a pavement princess and goes on a lot of hunts and excursions with me, but that’s not necessarily why i did the mods/upgrades.

I did them bc i like how the truck looks and sounds and like the higher wider stance.

I don’t like smaller trucks/cabs or shortie beds. I have younger kids and car seats, that really only for good in crew cabs without having the seats all the way pushed up.

As i said, i got a stupid deal on the truck to start, 23k off sticker, so i wasn’t upset about putting some money back in it to get it how i liked it.

If it’s not your taste, that’s cool, but i can assure you i got a very good deal overall, no reason to try to insult me. “A smart guy....” I poured over message boards forums, called lift kit mfg, etc. until i figured out exactly what i wanted.

Corsa or borla is the bees knees of exhausts and that’s what they cost if that’s what you want

MeatBuck

WKR
It’s set up exactly how i like. I know a lot of guys that have paid 10-15k for similar upgrades to their Rigs.

To clarify, my truck isn’t a pavement princess and goes on a lot of hunts and excursions with me, but that’s not necessarily why i did the mods/upgrades.

I did them bc i like how the truck looks and sounds and like the higher wider stance.

I don’t like smaller trucks/cabs or shortie beds. I have younger kids and car seats, that really only for good in crew cabs without having the seats all the way pushed up.

As i said, i got a stupid deal on the truck to start, 23k off sticker, so i wasn’t upset about putting some money back in it to get it how i liked it.

If it’s not your taste, that’s cool, but i can assure you i got a very good deal overall, no reason to try to insult me. “A smart guy....” I poured over message boards forums, called lift kit mfg, etc. until i figured out exactly what i wanted.

Corsa or borla is the bees knees of exhausts and that’s what they cost if that’s what you want

Thought we were talking hunting trucks not kiddo haulers. I’ve got two of them myself, as well as two suvs to haul them in. But my hunting rig is a separate deal. It’s just for hunting. Still fits the whole family if needed though.

Should a guy be able to tell how much you spent on your exhaust just by the way it sounds?
You’d be surprised at how many nice mufflers are sitting out in junkyards waiting for a guy with $10 and a sawzall to come swoop em up.

Guess maybe I’m just a “needs” not “wants” kinda guy though.

Lastly those crew cab long beds sure are nimble on trail... especially with the extra wide stance and tow mirrors.

VenaticOppidan

Lil-Rokslider
Thought we were talking hunting trucks not kiddo haulers. I’ve got two of them myself, as well as two suvs to haul them in. But my hunting rig is a separate deal. It’s just for hunting. Still fits the whole family if needed though.

Should a guy be able to tell how much you spent on your exhaust just by the way it sounds?
You’d be surprised at how many nice mufflers are sitting out in junkyards waiting for a guy with $10 and a sawzall to come swoop em up.

Guess maybe I’m just a “needs” not “wants” kinda guy though.

Lastly those crew cab long beds sure are nimble on trail... especially with the extra wide stance and tow mirrors.

Last i checked 6’5”ish was a std bed, 5’7”ish short bed, and 8’ish a long bed. I don’t see any tow mirrors on my rig.

I only have room to park 1 vehicle for me and 1 for my wife were we live, so my one vehicle has to do everything. Guess I’m just a “needs” not “wants” guy.

OP
L
Ha!! yes, I've had some fun 12 point turnarounds on some narrow logging roads, weird angles partially up hill, etc...

Love the idea of a dedicated hunting truck, but the small ones won't tow my mobile office/base camp trailer so I live in the world of compromises. Aside from turning, I've actually been very surprised how well my beast has taken care of me on some hairy roads.

Thanks again for sharing actual experiences you've had guys.