To many puffys…

PAhntr91

WKR
Looking for a puffy. I see the kelvin down ws is on sale now. Going to Colorado this sept. How will this jacket fare for Colorado weather?

Lowg08

WKR
I had this same conundrum. I’ve looked at several and I’ve kinda gotten to
This idea. I have a Celsius midi( synthetic) brooks down. Im so impressed with the under armor alpine ops hoodie. I’m ordering one. Wearing it all under a shell

OP
P

PAhntr91

WKR
I have a kuiu kenai. I layer it under my stratus jacket. I’m not sure the kenai is enough for that?

Lowg08

WKR
Looking for a puffy. I see the kelvin down ws is on sale now. Going to Colorado this sept. How will this jacket fare for Colorado weather?
Allot of my friends hunt then and same location. They swear by either the LPP or SG Grumman.

R_burg

WKR
Just buy a cheap, light puffy from a backpacking brand if you want something but don't know how useful it will be. Way easier to find backpacking brands on sale. Its all the same, especially when it comes to puffys.

My puffy is an Arcteryx Cerium SL. Cheaper and lighter than any of the hunting brands. And the Cerium SL is a very premium down jacket. You can save money and go with a different brand.

TX4ever

Lil-Rokslider
I have the WS jacket. Really nice and warm but pretty bulky. I would bring the SG Grumman in Sept. If it was November, I'd probably rock the WS and deal with the extra bulk/weight

MT_Wyatt

WKR
You need to decide down vs synthetic. Synthetic can be had cheaper many times, and is normally better if you are harder on gear. Also on how packable you want it (down rules there obviously). Then there's the disucssion around if you will be moving around in it or not (I tend to think active insualtion works best in midlayer position rather than a dedicated puffy, but that's just me).

Then decide if you want something light for september, or something more "full season" capable. And if you run hot or cold. I would agree the down WS is a crap ton of jacket for september, that is a late season piece for sure.

I like the SG Grumman Down, which is light, and I run cold - it's dry here in MT so down is fine by me. 11.8oz for the hooded jacket is really good given the 5.3oz of high fill power down they use. In comparison, the FL Brooks (which is a nice september puffy) is about the same weight with less down. I can use that jacket all accross the seasons.

For september, FL Brooks or Uncompahgre, Sitka Aerolight, SG Grumman, Kuiu SD Ultra (have used in Sep extensively and works fine) or Pro (more fill, comparable to grumman down) are options. The Kuiu Kenai active insulation or the Sitka verions are a possible, but like I said, not as flexible as a primary insulative layer for ultimate warmth compared to a down piece.

IF you get out of hunting brands, I really like the Atom LT jacket from Arcteryx as a light puffy. The dead bird down puffys are super nice.

Keep in mind you can boost your insulation by putting your hardshell on, when static. If considering the really ultralight (sub 10 oz) down pieces, that may be required depending on the weather.

After ripping and shredding quite a few down jackets, I picked up the cheap Eddie Bauer hooded cirrus something on sale for roughly $50 and it worked great for me through mid November in Colorado. It’s obviously not as warm as the higher end down jackets, but it’s very light, easily packable and plenty warm when layered properly.

*zap*

WKR
The ws down jacket I have is awesome.....keeps in body heat better than anything else even my wm flight series jct.

OP
P

PAhntr91

WKR
You need to decide down vs synthetic. Synthetic can be had cheaper many times, and is normally better if you are harder on gear. Also on how packable you want it (down rules there obviously). Then there's the disucssion around if you will be moving around in it or not (I tend to think active insualtion works best in midlayer position rather than a dedicated puffy, but that's just me).

Then decide if you want something light for september, or something more "full season" capable. And if you run hot or cold. I would agree the down WS is a crap ton of jacket for september, that is a late season piece for sure.

I like the SG Grumman Down, which is light, and I run cold - it's dry here in MT so down is fine by me. 11.8oz for the hooded jacket is really good given the 5.3oz of high fill power down they use. In comparison, the FL Brooks (which is a nice september puffy) is about the same weight with less down. I can use that jacket all accross the seasons.

For september, FL Brooks or Uncompahgre, Sitka Aerolight, SG Grumman, Kuiu SD Ultra (have used in Sep extensively and works fine) or Pro (more fill, comparable to grumman down) are options. The Kuiu Kenai active insulation or the Sitka verions are a possible, but like I said, not as flexible as a primary insulative layer for ultimate warmth compared to a down piece.

IF you get out of hunting brands, I really like the Atom LT jacket from Arcteryx as a light puffy. The dead bird down puffys are super nice.

Keep in mind you can boost your insulation by putting your hardshell on, when static. If considering the really ultralight (sub 10 oz) down pieces, that may be required depending on the weather.
thanks for the input, yeah not exactly sure what to expect for temps as this will be my first trip but a lighter more packable jacket would be nice to keep in the bag. only reason i said the kelvin ws was that camofire ha had it on sale and i heard good things but it sound like its alot of jacket for that time of year ill check out the other jackets you mentioned. i just needed pointed in the right direction in jacket size.

jd1006

WKR
There’s cheaper REI brand ones that you can get for that. If you have a higher budget, I think the Cirque Jacket from Stone Glacier is the one that will be the most versatile for that weather…heavier than the kenai, has pit zips, synthetic, and a little DWR. I’d only go Grumman if it was much colder and/or I needed to cut weight somewhere. I have an REI Brand puffy that has a laminate and pitzips that is awesome. Called the Stormhenge. I think they still make it.

Lowg08

WKR
I swear by them. I love puffy jackets. They weigh less and are warm. I’ve been through a bunch trying to get th right one for cut and fit. I’m dialed down to Celsius midi, brooks down and under armor alpine ops hoodie. They all will work together

tracker12

WKR
Well my RAB puffy has seen better days plus I want something with a hood. I wear my Puffy as an outside layer a bunch so it needs to be durable. I like what I read about the SG Grumman except I question how it will handle the scrub oaks.

KnuckleChild

Lil-Rokslider
I use a cerium lt now but have used various ones, my hunting partners have have still been using some super cheapo down puffys from somewhere on the internet and they work just fine.
I wouldn’t be beating brush in a puffy without a shell over it anyway. But in September the puffy is just nighttime at camp/getting ready in morning piece of gear for the most part.

I swear by them. I love puffy jackets. They weigh less and are warm. I’ve been through a bunch trying to get th right one for cut and fit. I’m dialed down to Celsius midi, brooks down and under armor alpine ops hoodie. They all will work together
When do you use each? I'm looking at the celsius midi vs a bigger badder puffy and I am trying to find best use case

Lowg08

WKR
When do you use each? I'm looking at the celsius midi vs a bigger badder puffy and I am trying to find best use case
Well. The midi will now be my I guess you would say definite go to for everything from a mid to earlier outer. I’ll use a under armor alpine ops down hoody not parka. The midi being synthetic allows me to do more with it. It’s also quieter for bow hunting compared to others. I have had the alpine op pants for two seasons and I love them. Quiet enough to bow hunt in. I’ll list you something hypothetical. Base layer, Sitka kelvin active hoody, Celsius midi then from there you could in my case throw a solitude vest over it or maybe a jetstream or the down jacket. For me I’ve finally started narrowing down all my crazy gear.