To Outfitters: Help me to be a better client

bozeman

WKR
Careful with the broker Vs outfitter finger pointing……supposed 5 Star waterfowl hunt turned south quick and broker blamed outfitter and outfitter blamed broker………get it in writing! Who is responsible for transport, meals, dates, lodging. It was vague and each blamed the other in all instances. The whole adage, ‘it’s duck season somewhere’ is right. Just make sure you get more than a catchy slogan to go on.

WCB

WKR
Wow sure poked a hornets nest. I have been elk hunting since 1983. Have killed my fair share of bulls and cows. I live 2100 miles from where I chase elk. I would never ever think of paying 5k or more to do it. I have always done the diy rout, more rewarding and cost way less.

I could not imagin paying that kind of money, and then have someone tell me what to do, and how to act.

I know of 5 coworkers that hunted elk w a guide, castle creek outfitters out of Salmon Idaho. Each paid 5100.00 for a 5 day hunt. 5 guys saw 3 cows elk in their 5 day hunt. The same year myself and 7 other guys hunted the same zone. We killed 8 bulls and seen 3-400 elk, and paid about what 2 of them did. Plus we hunted for 3 weeks.

I feel bad for ppl that fear attempting a westen hunt, and have to pay a guide to do everything for them. But again a fool and his money are usually soon parted.
So because you paid you can just come into camp, treat people like shit, get drunk, and no one is supposed to say anything? I also suppose that 65 yr old guy going on his first out west elk hunt that wants to go back in on horses and sleep in a wall tent in the back country should have went to cheap route and bought some stock, tack, a trailer, full wall tent camp setup, and a truck to pull it across country in.

So because you paid you can just come into camp, treat people like shit, get drunk, and no one is supposed to say anything? I also suppose that 65 yr old guy going on his first out west elk hunt that wants to go back in on horses and sleep in a wall tent in the back country should have went to cheap route and bought some stock, tack, a trailer, full wall tent camp setup, and a truck to pull it across country in.

I think Fullfan was just a little too quick on the draw and accidently shot off his right testicle. He meant good by what he wrote, but it came across as being a bit more than simply unrealistic in the piety of it.

Some people - those who've never hired a guide and who are unwilling or unable to see various benefits of having a guide, or an outfitter - just don't seem to understand or are unwilling to acknowledge, that there's a huge facet of hunting society who prefer to be outfitted and guided, for reasons other than "fear".

Bottom line is that there will always be those who simply like to have a guide along and who really appreciate the benefits of having an outfitter. In addition to those people, there will always be those who for whatever reason do not want a guide and who do not need an outfitter. And there will always be those who fail to see the forest for the trees, because they can't think outside the box they're in.

P Carter

WKR
Thanks to all, this is a good thread. And timely. I’m going on a guided hunt this year. I’ve always done diy and I’m a resident. I’m going with my dad and his longtime hunting buddy who are turning 70. We’ll rotate 2 on 1 guides and 1 on 1. My primary goal is to help get those guys on some elk. (They’re longtime hunters, I’d just love to have one or both of them connect before they age out of this type of hunting!) I’m young, in good shape, used to doing most of the calling. The only thing I’m sure of are the dang horses—I’m not a horse guy, would rather be on my own two feet.

Fullfan

WKR
I think Fullfan was just a little too quick on the draw and accidently shot off his right testicle. He meant good by what he wrote, but it came across as being a bit more than simply unrealistic in the piety of it.

Some people - those who've never hired a guide and who are unwilling or unable to see various benefits of having a guide, or an outfitter - just don't seem to understand or are unwilling to acknowledge, that there's a huge facet of hunting society who prefer to be outfitted and guided, for reasons other than "fear".

Bottom line is that there will always be those who simply like to have a guide along and who really appreciate the benefits of having an outfitter. In addition to those people, there will always be those who for whatever reason do not want a guide and who do not need an outfitter. And there will always be those who fail to see the forest for the trees, because they can't think outside the box they're in.
Admitting I did initially respond without thinking. And I do realize that not everyone is like me. Meaning I would never pay a guide, just the way I am. I enjoy it all, from planning to packing and arriving setting up camp.

And I understand that is not for everyone.
I can imagine the frustration that guides go through. Having clients show up and be complete neophytes. God bless the guides who put up w them.

Is it Sept yet

LightFoot

WKR
Wow sure poked a hornets nest. I have been elk hunting since 1983. Have killed my fair share of bulls and cows. I live 2100 miles from where I chase elk. I would never ever think of paying 5k or more to do it. I have always done the diy rout, more rewarding and cost way less.

I could not imagin paying that kind of money, and then have someone tell me what to do, and how to act.

I know of 5 coworkers that hunted elk w a guide, castle creek outfitters out of Salmon Idaho. Each paid 5100.00 for a 5 day hunt. 5 guys saw 3 cows elk in their 5 day hunt. The same year myself and 7 other guys hunted the same zone. We killed 8 bulls and seen 3-400 elk, and paid about what 2 of them did. Plus we hunted for 3 weeks.

I feel bad for ppl that fear attempting a westen hunt, and have to pay a guide to do everything for them. But again a fool and his money are usually soon parted.

He didn't ask you, sir.
He was asking Outfitters (or maybe those that had been guided, too), not super duper DiY elk slayers.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

JungleDan

Lil-Rokslider
Admitting I did initially respond without thinking. And I do realize that not everyone is like me. Meaning I would never pay a guide, just the way I am. I enjoy it all, from planning to packing and arriving setting up camp.

I think one of reasons for getting a guide is most people don't have 3 weeks to hunt uninterrupted (as mentioned in your previous post), so they are paying for a service to make the most of their limited time.

Congrats on your successes!

IDShane

WKR
I have been on 2 guided hunts and I am scheduled for a few more. When I lived in Wisconsin I did all of the work myself food plots, trail maintenance setting up tree stands etc. That work really took a lot of my time but I enjoyed the hard work. Since I moved to Idaho I just decided I wanted to make hunting more of a relaxing experience meaning I am not responsible for the scouting, and all the important tasks that lead up to a successful hunt. So I have decided to go on some outfitted hunts. The way I look at it I have hired these guys for their knowledge/expertise so I pretty much listen to what they have to say. I really try to make it fun for them too, my feeling is you will have a better experience if you make your end of it a better experience the treat people how you would like to be treated thing. I have been working harder to get into hunting shape and I shoot as often as I can to make sure I live up to my end of the bargain.

This is a really good video from Cliff Gray on why most hunters quit from an outfitter's perspective. It has some really good general info as well. Cliff Gray is probably the best hunting tips channel in my opinion.

Never heard of Cliff Grey before. Seems like a great guy. But I have to disagree with him a bit. He said that people who have a tough life turn into “bitches” and the CEOs and people with secretaries and assistants do better. I think it’s the opposite. I’ll take a blue collar worker over someone who never breaks a sweat. Those guys know how to play with pain. I’ve guided hundreds of both so I’m speaking from experience. I actually remember the few pencil pushers who actually turned out to have what it takes. All 4 or 5 of them.

Last edited:
Never heard of Cliff Grey before. Seems like a great guy. But I have to disagree with him a bit. He said that people who have a tough life turn into “bitches” and the CEOs and people with secretaries and assistants do better. I think it’s the opposite. I’ll take a blue collar worker over someone who never breaks a sweat. Those guys know how to play with pain. I’ve guided hundred of both so I’m speaking from experience. I actually remember the few pencil pushers who actually turned out to have what it takes. All 4 or 5 of them.

I agree with you.