To quiver or not to quiver

Do you prefer a quiver attached to your compound bow, or hip/shoulder/pack mounted quiver, and why do you prefer one over the other in the back country? What options are there for pack mounted quivers?

Thank you

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I prefer on the bow(tight spot) that way everything is all together and one less thing to forget. This also puts my work station all in one spot if that makes sense.

rodney482

WKR
Attached ... All day long and twice on sunday!

I will never again hunt with arrows on hip or pack!

My suggestion is leave it on,, never remove it!

Practice with it on!!

I really like tightspot

I always leave mine on. I really don't think there's a more convenient spot for a possible follow up arrow than right there on the bow. I don't find it makes the bow any heavier nor does it make the bow any harder to shoot. I may sometimes pack a few arrows in my pack (on a side pocket or stuffed/strapped somewhere), but I leave my quiver attached at all times. One word of caution...if you strap your bow to your pack with the quiver on, be careful with the way you orient your bow. I prefer pack my bow upside down so the nocks face up towards the sky. My buddy didn't give too much thought to it and when he got tired and quickly took his 65 lb pack you can guess what contacted the ground first. I think 4 of the 6 arrows he had became unusable (also a good idea to pack a few extra nocks if you have them!).

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm in the minority here. I prefer no quiver on my bow and use a rancho safari pack quiver/they have 4-5 models of varying sizes. I have not had a quiver on my bow for 10+ yrs and just prefer the balance of the bow without a quiver. My archery hunts are for the day only and the pack with quiver allows me to carry sufficient gear for the day only. Just my personal preference.

Ethan S.

Lil-Rokslider
I am with ya Ross. This year I decided to try the Mini Quiver from Rancho Safari, and after some time getting used to it I think it is the way to go. I definitely like shooting without the weight of the quiver and arrows attached to my bow. Big difference there, and would be hard to go back to shooting with a quiver on.

I got a question for you guys that are saying you use a Tight Spot and would never remove it; Isn't removing the quiver one of the main points to that design? I would think that if you want a quiver that is always on your bow you would go with a two-piece that is a lot more solid and reliable. Just curious.

2rocky

WKR
Tangent Question...

How Soon before a Tightspot knock off comes to market more affordable? It is a great design.

I carry my quiver on my bow but, when I hunt whitetails it gets hung on a limb. If I am hunting in the mountains or spot and stalk hunting antelope I will take it off and lay it on the ground before the shot if time allows. Not a fan of the weight on the side of the bow. However I do practice with it on and off to be ready come hunting season.

Tried the quiver thing on a pack and learned I didn't like it very well. To easy for arrows to hang up on branches.

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
I am with ya Ross. This year I decided to try the Mini Quiver from Rancho Safari, and after some time getting used to it I think it is the way to go. I definitely like shooting without the weight of the quiver and arrows attached to my bow. Big difference there, and would be hard to go back to shooting with a quiver on.

I got a question for you guys that are saying you use a Tight Spot and would never remove it; Isn't removing the quiver one of the main points to that design? I would think that if you want a quiver that is always on your bow you would go with a two-piece that is a lot more solid and reliable. Just curious.

That's what I always thought too, kinda weird to me... But then again why remove it when you shoot better with the TightSpot than without? ;) I have tried it on my last two bows and for the life of me couldn't get it to feel nowhere near as good as my Fuse 2pc therefor I don't own a TightSpot. To each his own... But yes kinda funny that most people that run a 1pc I'd assume plan on removing the quiver while hunting/shooting yet TightSpot advertises it to stay on your bow at all times cuz your bow will shoot better with it than without. Oh and to answer the original question even though I'm not a backcountry hunter :), I prefer an on my bow 2pc quiver cuz it is secure and sturdy and I like the idea of having my arrows readily accessible when needed and it balances better than a 1pc. For what it's worth I don't think my thoughts or preferences would change if I was indeed a backcountry hunter, don't see what a 1pc would offer a backcountry/ spot n stalk hunter that a 2pc wouldn't...

Last edited:

OR Archer

WKR
This is off topic but what are all of you paying for your Tight Spot quivers?

And to answer the original question I always leave my quiver on while hunting. Its a Tight Spot but it never leaves the bow while in the field.

I use a tightspot and it remains on my bow while hunting. You never know when you need another arrow quick. I shoot better with THAT quiver on my bow than any other quiver I have tried over the years. It makes sense to ME to have a quiver on your bow, keeping the arrows at the ready.

Use what makes you a better shot and what feels comfortable to you.