To spot or not

FLman

FNG
I am heading to Colorado for first gun Elk and bear. I am on the fence whether or not I should buy a spotting scope or not. I live in florida and would seldomely use it here at home. I used a pair of 12x binos two years ago while hunting the Unitas in Utah, that area was so dense that a spotting scope wouldn't have been useful. I know the terrain i'm heading to in Colorado is more open. My question is should i just stick with my binos or will there be a greater advantage using a spotter?

Renting is darn expensive! I think the question is how picky are you? You can tell if an elk is a bull with binoculars. So if that’s good enough don’t waste your money.

Jarhead

FNG

You can rent for around 5% of the cost of purchasing a high end spotting scope, tripod and pelican case. At those numbers it would take almost 20 rentals to equal the cost of purchasing one. I've used these folks in the past and they have been great.

bradyhunt

FNG
Renting is darn expensive! I think the question is how picky are you? You can tell if an elk is a bull with binoculars. So if that’s good enough don’t waste your money.
x2. You can typically tell a bull (especially a "shooter") bull with 10-12x binos from quite a ways off. If you're being very picky about only shooting a certain caliber of bull, then bring a spotter.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Depends on where you’re going and what you want to do. I can pick out an elk with the naked eye a long damn ways away. With a pair of 10x binos you can see them as far as needed. The problem is seeing what they are. usually you can tell bull from cow but that’s it. If you’re after anything with horns then the spotter isn’t necessary. If you’re looking for a certain size animal then it’s a must. All this depends on where you’re hunting of course. In certain units you can’t see far enough to worry about it and other units you can see for miles.

Marble

WKR
I am heading to Colorado for first gun Elk and bear. I am on the fence whether or not I should buy a spotting scope or not. I live in florida and would seldomely use it here at home. I used a pair of 12x binos two years ago while hunting the Unitas in Utah, that area was so dense that a spotting scope wouldn't have been useful. I know the terrain i'm heading to in Colorado is more open. My question is should i just stick with my binos or will there be a greater advantage using a spotter?
To answer your question you may need more info. If you know you will be doing this for the next, say 20 years, then it's a no brainer. Do it.

If you are unsure, go without, learn a lesson, spend wisely.

I've hunted there 20 years. A spotter is priceless.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk