To Spotting Scope or Not to Spotting Scope?

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I always seem to see conflicting views on here about carrying a spotting scope, especially when packing in for a trip. Since Im going on a rifle elk hunt this October in CO I figured I'd start a discussion about why or why not bring the spotting scope. Personally I am for bringing one in and since my setup weighs only 3-4 lbs I figured its worth its weight. Am I better off leaving it and saving the 3-4 lbs? If so why?

WCB

WKR
Totally depends. My opinion with a tripod and good binos 12x + magnification, in 95% of scenarios if you are just going after a branch antlered bull, there is zero advantage. Are you packing in deep? Hunting out of a spike camp and returning each night or have camp on your back every day.

IMO if you are going in a few miles dropping everything and hunting the immediate area you can chose to take it day to day no big deal. If you are living with camp on your back or putting serious miles on just to get in I would leave the spotter. Day to day from trail head or the truck, again make that decision daily.,

Titan_Bow

WKR
I agree with WCB, a lightweight tripod and binos is going to cover almost any scenario you would need while elk hunting. That is UNLESS you have a coveted tag in a trophy unit, and you have very specific goals in mind. Otherwise, you are likely never going to be in a scenario where you would miss elk with binos on a tripod that you wouldnt see otherwise. I guess, unless you are glassing hillsides 2 or 3 miles away :p
The big advantage of a spotter is to be able to make a determination of whether or not that is a specific bull you want to go after. Again, only you can answer that. I'm not that good of a hunter LOL, if I can tell its a branch antler bull, I am bailing off after it! LOL

A spotter might not be an essential optic, but I personally would never be without mine. I may only use it for 10 minutes the entire season, but its gonna be in my pack every day. Hell, it only weighs 28oz.

OP
A

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'll likely be going for a spike camp and then hunting from that camp.

I think mine only weighs 25 oz.

I run a 10x bino but ill for sure look into getting an adapter for my tripod. My biggest thing with the 10x is that I feel like its not enough to be able to easily confirm the bull is legal. I need a minimum of a 4x in the unit im hunting so I'd like to be sure lol. With that being said I have no idea if I can confirm the size of the antlers through my 10x on a tripod as I have yet to look at an elk through them :LOL:.

Appreciate the input so far.

I'll likely be going for a spike camp and then hunting from that camp.

I think mine only weighs 25 oz.

I run a 10x bino but ill for sure look into getting an adapter for my tripod. My biggest thing with the 10x is that I feel like its not enough to be able to easily confirm the bull is legal. I need a minimum of a 4x in the unit im hunting so I'd like to be sure lol. With that being said I have no idea if I can confirm the size of the antlers through my 10x on a tripod as I have yet to look at an elk through them :LOL:.

Appreciate the input so far.

Just bring the spotting scope along and be done with it.

Jeremy11

FNG
I used to use a spotting scope but now rely on my Canon SX60 camera if I need to confirm antler or horn size. Better magnification in digital ( up to 260x ) and can study different photos. Lighter than a spotting scope and I take it with me anyway. Will buy the SX90 when my SX60 fails.

I used to use a spotting scope but now rely on my Canon SX60 camera if I need to confirm antler or horn size. Better magnification in digital ( up to 260x ) and can study different photos. Lighter than a spotting scope and I take it with me anyway. Will buy the SX90 when my SX60 fails.
interesting angle and out of the box thinking, I like this, now I gotta research it, you better not be costing me money

amassi

WKR
I only carry a spotter on group hunts where we can share the load. 99% of hunts binos on a tripod are sufficient

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Im kind of an in betweener. Our elk spot generally its a mile hike in from the truck to our main glassing point woth a mild elevation drop of mayve 300 over that dostance and easy open terrain. Ill pack mine to there. From there it gets tucked in the brush and left behind. Generally the binos have been plenty at 2 miles to know uf ots a bull or not. But my second bull i shot was a small 3x4. With out the spotrer at 3/4 mile
I maybe wouldnt of had the confidence a 4th point was there.
Moral of the story is if its easy walking for elk ill pack it. But im quick to leave it behind because its definatly a luxury item and mostly not needed. But there fun to use and varify with

Jonesry09

Lil-Rokslider
Went on a mule deer/elk trip last year in CO and left my spotter at home. Sat on a knoll first light and my guide and hunting partner both had spotters while I was sitting there with my 12's. For the first hour we watched a deer that they couldn't quite tell if he was forked on one side and I was left sitting there like an idiot. When it got a little more light out, I asked to take a peak and ultimately decided to make a move on the deer. I ended up getting extremely lucky and shooting the deer (a nice 178" 4x4) after he made a mistake chasing some does. The whole time I kept telling myself that I will never leave my spotting scope again because I felt uninvolved in the hunt.

2 weeks later I took off for a sheep hunt in MX and brought it with me. Believe it or not, I actually spotted my own ram tucked in a little nook and ended up harvesting it. Would my guides have eventually seen it? Maybe. We will never know and it doesn't matter.. I sure am grateful I had it though.

I have a hard time thinking of a negative (other than weight) in bringing a spotter on a trip.

I went from 12’s to 15’s on a tripod and my spotter never leaves the truck anymore. I am not an inch counter, if I was, a spotter would be a no brainer.

Patriot2

Lil-Rokslider
It also depends on where you are hunting. I have always hunted areas that were primarily dark timber with very few open areas to glass. I own a spotting scope and only used it once. I also am a meat hunter so if its legal I am going after it regardless. I haven't even taken the spotter the last 4 or 5 years.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lots of variables. If I do take a spotter (which is not very often), it’s one of the small fixed (20X 50 I think) power Leupolds with a very light tripod (Kramer Designs). 26 oz total makes it an acceptable weight for backcountry hunting for me.

If I really need a spotter/tripod, I bring a full size spotter and tripod.