To the gentleman calling near my campsite…

jmez

WKR
Two years ago guy carried a bull into a large, and very busy forest service campground. Shot it right up the hill from the campground.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

grfox92

WKR
We had a bull Bugel 100 yards from camp last weekend and had fresh elk sign less then that distance from our camp that was getting freshened up overnight. We were in a camp spot on NF though, not in a campground.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Read1t48

WKR
This thread has me almost crying with laughter. These posts are too funny!
Can’t imagine playing cribbage with the Mrs. and have that going on in the background.
Then again, I just did 27 miles of hiking and packing. Feel like I’ve earned a ‘campsite bull’ for next year.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The other day a buddy and I were sitting in camp talking and killing flies and yellow jackets, and suddenly he looks up and there are two cow elk 50 yards above our camp strolling through.

About 10 years ago I wanted to head into an area and accessing it from the FS campground was about the best option for that. Not even 100 yards in I started seeing all kinds of fresh elk sign. Then I smelled a bull and it took me 45 minutes to follow the scent and sneak in on a wallow a couple hundred yards further back. So ya, the elk are where they are and will continue to use areas they are familiar with.

You should advise him to try hiking another hundred yards further each day until he finds the herd…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I rolled up to a spot I frequent and there was some dude camoed up about 50 yards from the parking lot hiding in a bush. I was like dude are you ok? He was like yeah, just hunting elk. Found out he was from PA and it was his first hunt out west. I laughed and proceeded to hike back in another 5 miles.

Was there a campground host there? It's illegal to hunt or discharge any kind of weapon within 150 yards of developed USFS campgrounds I believe.

ridgefire

WKR
Are you sure it was a hunter? We found a little honey hole years ago where you could hear a guys generator running and his music playing at his camp and the bulls were going nuts. This was just a couple hundred years of a FS road. A few years ago my brother drew a tag here in Washington and we could hear bulls screaming all night around the campground we were staying at.

I rolled up to a spot I frequent and there was some dude camoed up about 50 yards from the parking lot hiding in a bush. I was like dude are you ok? He was like yeah, just hunting elk. Found out he was from PA and it was his first hunt out west. I laughed and proceeded to hike back in another 5 miles.
Maybe he's taking a squat and embarrassed to say so. Did you look for white TP flapping around later? LOL