To those wearing glasses, sight questions

Rob5589

WKR
Considering giving a ML a go but have concerns over open sights. I wear readers and am getting to need some for distance now as well. I use a verifier peep for archery, can't see the pins without it.
What are you guys using that are in my shoes? I was looking at the Williams peep and globe set up but have no experience with them.
A usable sighting system will determine if I jump or not.

Thanks

I'm in your boat. Nearsighted and with my glasses on (needed for distance vision while hunting), my pins on my bow are blurry.

I set up a muzzy this year for Colorado with the Williams Peep and globe you mentioned. I was able to see well enough to shoot out to 200 yards accurately. The front cross hairs in the globe are far enough away for me that they aren't too blurry. It's still not ideal, especially in low light. I may switch to a front bead for future hunts.

Luckily the bull I shot was at 50 yards so I had no problem w/ seeing him.

For my bow, I have been putting off switching to a verifier peep, but I finally have one on the way. The pins are just too blurry and my shooting is suffering from it.

I have been looking for an air rifle w/ a similar peep and cross hair setup so I can use it to practice at home. Anyone know of one?

Remember, you're not focusing on the sights....you focus on the target. Your brain will keep the sights on target if you burn a hole in the spot you want to hit.

I think this depends on who you talk to and what you are shooting.

Ryan Cleckner (Rifle shooting instructor) teaches to focus on the reticle. Of course, this is with a rifle and scope.

For archery, I do think more focus on the target "the spot" is helpful, but even John Dudley says he doesn't focus on either- his concentration is on the back 1/2 of his body and shot execution.

Either way, if the pins are blurry it's difficult to aim accurately and I think it sets people up for target panic.

This sounds stupid but it’s true. I have to wear progressives &/or reading glasses now.

My eyes are .5 off for distance vision. I am right eye dominant and shoot right hand. If I put my contact in my left eye but leave the right out, the left eye seems to pick up the target and the right seems to see the front sight much better. Obviously I’m shooting both eyes open and I also wear yellow shooting glasses for safety.

Point is that being slightly near sighted in the dominant eye helps pick up the sights. Your other eye corrected will focus on the target.

I see ok at distance but the front sight is very blurry. This is what worked for me:

rear peep: mine is a Williams with a “twilight” appiature. This is bigger than the appiature that comes with the stock peep. Had to order special.

tried the front globe with crosshairs. Vision SUCKS in low light. I absolutely would agree if you are shooting from a bench in bright light the crosshairs set up rules. But add twilight or deep shade when you shoot and you will struggle to even see the crosshairs.

I use the smallest fiberoptic bead front sight I can find for a particular rifle and use the 6 o’clock hold. That means place the bullseye on top of the front sight

here is the punchline: I use 1.0 x readers to shoot. Front sight is clear. Target is slightly out of focus but not bad. All the research I did on accuracy says you are most accurate if you sight is clear, even if the target is not

Bottom line is you can find a way to shoot open sights. Just have to work at it. I just wish they allowed 1X (no mag) scopes for guys like us.

here is the punchline: I use 1.0 x readers to shoot. Front sight is clear. Target is slightly out of focus but not bad. All the research I did on accuracy says you are most accurate if you sight is clear, even if the target is not

Your method makes total sense to me. Basically doing what I do but approaching the solution from the other side of the mountain. Point is you have corrected to see the front sights even if the target isn’t quite as clear.

I bet readers can be found that are eye specific, so you can adjust the shooting eye to see the sights better but leave your other eye set for distance to see the target.

Again, got to shoot with both eyes open.

When I shoot open sight handguns I use the glasses my optometrist designed for my work. I work off a computer screen all day so I needed something that could focus well a little farther than arms length. That also happens to be the perfect distance for open sights on a handgun. A small portion on the lenses at the very bottom focus like readers and a small portion of the lenses at the top focus distance. The middle of the lenses, and the greatest surface are of them, is what I look through to see my computer screen and my open sights. Lenses can be setup however you want. You can have the top of the lenses for a distance that lets you see the sights (this could be a small portion of the lenses) and below that the lenses can focus for distance. If portioned right, only very minor movement of the head is need to adjust between focus. I use the same glasses when shooting open sight rifles and they get the job done fine. I can't shoot high precision that way so well but they allow me to shoot well within the range to hit the vitals of game animals. It's okay if the target is a little blurry.

I think the most ideal lens setup for rifle shooting would be to look through a small top portion to see the sights and below that have distance focus (opposite of how my glasses are setup now). The key is to get the lenses large enough so you are always looking through them when your head is tilted at various angles.

But in summation, assuming you can’t use a red dot or low power scope because of regs or you just want to be more traditional, a rear peep is definitely the way to go. I have one with the screw in smaller aperture, but usually leave it out to make it more of a ghost ring. I can still consistently hold about a 4 inch group at 100 yards. It’s plenty accurate for 95% of the time. I would not use a hooded globe up front b/c low light performance is going to be poor. A nice fiber optic front would be great but I just have a black bead and it’s good to go.

gbflyer

WKR
Hope you figure it out. I hate glasses. They are either fogged, haven’t “transitioned” yet or covered with rain drops and I can’t see a damned thing without them. Guess I was lucky for the first 40 years to not need them.