To tongue or not to tongue

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
The outer layer freaks me the hell out. Once I remove it, dispose of it, and manage to stop thinking about it, the rest of the tongue meat is excellent.

BluMtn

WKR
My dad grew up eating Beef tongue sandwiches. He said they were good. Funny thing is if they were so good how come he never introduced us kids to it.

Haggin

Lil-Rokslider
My grandmother would make it and slice it thin for sandwiches, called it baloney until we were old enough to know better. Still good though. I want to say she boiled it in saltwater, but not sure, and "skinned" it first. In the winter she'd warm it up on the griddle first, much like fried baloney. Its good stuff if cooked right. She was depression era, so nothing went to waste.

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
I either slice it thin and use it for lunch meat, or fry it up and make tacos. It is a unique texture, and a wonderful flavor, one of the best parts of the animal.

Simmer for a few hours with an onion, garlic, bay leaf etc.
Plunge in ice water (makes it easier to peel)
Remove the outer layer

billoo349

Lil-Rokslider
It's pretty good, once boiled and skinned it has a texture like Vienna sausage or hot dog. Brine with the same spices you would a corned beef. Then i like slicing thin and making sandwiches. My girl made Cuban sandwiches with it that turned out fantastic. Little pickle, mustard, and cheese... Yum

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

wyodan

WKR
Best cut on the animal! I simply boil it with some spices, peel it, and eat away. Elk tounges are pretty good, but it takes a few deer tounges to be worth the time.

JakeSCH

WKR
I typically keep elk tongue but not the deer tongue (because they are so small around where I hunt that it is not worth the time for 1 a year).

Not one of my favorite cuts of meat, but add a bunch of spices and make tacos or a sandwich and its good.

Marble

WKR
I've been pulling the tongue out of deer elk for several years now. Just clean thoroughly, brine with salty garlic, red pepper flake water and wrap in foil. In the foil I put onion and garlic and apple slices with a baste of olive oil. Put on low and go all day. One deer tongue is like maybe two small tacos. An elk is worth about 4 depending.

Guys in Camp reluctantly tried it and have since removed every tongue for a treat.

Its not a fatty as a beef tongue but still delicious.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

JATails

FNG
Shoot you you can put just about everything in a tortilla and its good! Just a simple "street taco" and it's hard to beat. Always been beef tongue for us, never crossed my mind to try deer. Will need to reminder to make that extra cut this season and see how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion.

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
My opinion, everything doesn't have to be food. I don't eat the liver and I don't like brains either.

I don't eat the tongue (I have had it before).

FLAK

WKR
Ok, Huntinaz,.....uhhhhh - you holding those tongues REALLY
creeps me
Tongue can be amazing, lengua tacos are outstanding. Had some a few months ago. The way I like to do it is to shoot two bull elk:
uEstSwY.jpg

kIWD6Uh.jpg

Then pose with your elk tongues:
YAnbsLE.jpg

Pressure cooked them to make them extra tender:
8nHcCTj.jpg

Then remove the weird outer layer, cut up the meat into cubes and fry it with spices. Serve as tacos:
aPmvFvi.jpg
OK, you holding those 2 REALLY freaks me out.
Reminds me of a Bible story. Dang.

I’ve had it in stew and sandwiches and I liked it. But I’m one of those weirdos who likes liver and oysters and clams and mussels. Dang now I’m hungry...

Trial153

WKR
I love it from bigger animals, Moose, elk, Caribou....from deer size game i dont think it's worth the effort

bsnedeker

WKR
As mentioned above, tongue meat makes the absolute best tacos I've ever had in my life. I save every tongue from every big-game animal I take (haven't tried turkey tongues, so can't speak to those!).

For deer and antelope you just need to save them them up until you have a few you can throw into a pot.

MrSunday

Lil-Rokslider
We grilled some at deer camp this last Nov. I ate it but it's just not for me. Didn't like the texture at all. Though my hunting buddy absolutely loved it.

ScottRK

Lil-Rokslider
Man I kept looking at that that tongue when I was cutting up that deer a couple weeks ago , but it would’ve barely filled a club cracker I thought.
Had tongue every year when Dad butchered a steer til I was about 8. Brains and eggs, liver,and sweet breads. Nothing seemed strange about it.
Brother in law says tongue- the only food that tastes you back.

I really like tongue. I pull them out of beef all the time as well as the sweet breads. I probably have 20 or so in the freezer and maybe half a dozen RM oysters. I pressure cook the tongues for about 45-50 minutes. Let it cool then peel the skin. Slice thin for sandwiches, strips for fajitas or tacos. My wife liked the flavor but not the texture. She didn’t grow up butchering domestic animals and no one in her family has ever hunted.