To tripod or not

Tcole75

Lil-Rokslider
This is my first backcountry hunt in Colorado. I plan to camp for 7 days. My question is should I ditch the tripod and spotting scope or keep it. My pack weight so far comes out to 65lbs fully loaded. If I ditch the tripod and spotting scope it will drop 9 lbs. I plan to buy a lighter spotter and tripod I currently have a vortex razor 20x60-85 and an innorel carbon fiber tripod with a heavy ball head. I can't afford to buy more gear at the moment. What would you do. I have 8x42 binos and a set of 10x50s.

bsnedeker

WKR
What are you hunting and what season?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
Are you backpack hunting? If so, I’d ditch that weight. Shouldering a 65# pack every day is a tall order. If you are spoke camping, then it depends.

WRO

WKR
Deer hunting, no fin way, elk in a non trophy hunt yup.

OP
Tcole75

Tcole75

Lil-Rokslider
I'm bear hunting from September 5th to the 12th. 65lbs includes my tent, food, etc. I plan to have a Basecamp after I setup my Basecamp my pack weight will drop roughly 20lbs.

bsnedeker

WKR
I agree, take the 10s and the tripod. Unless you are going to be real picky on the bear i would ditch the spotter.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would pack tripod and binos, no scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ this

drop the weight of the spotting scope, keep the weight of the tripod- you'll be amazed how effective binos on a tripod are; I sure was :)

TheGDog

WKR
And.. if you want... you'd have to decide this.. but.. to save weight... since you'd be taken just the binos now. Some guys just elect to hold them on top of their shooting sticks or Bipod so they can skip the tripod weight. Depends on how heavy your Tripod is.. and how long you think you're going to be trying to spot thru the glass each day. If long sessions are likely, take the tripod.

cmahoney

WKR
I have to say, a tripod is worth it’s weight in gold, I would pack it even if it was 6 pounds. I see most bears glassing first thing in the morning for deer with binos on a tripod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Tcole75

Tcole75

Lil-Rokslider
Well that concludes it then I'm dropping the spotting scope. I do have a buddy that has a set of 15x56 binos might see if i can borrow those.

Jimss

WKR
What type of terrain and vegetation are you hunting? A spotting scope may save miles of hiking if you can glass further distances. Once you set up your spike camp the weight on your back ought to drop dramatically. If you are hunting relatively open country a spotter certainly helps....I don't leave camp without mine!

OP
Tcole75

Tcole75

Lil-Rokslider
I've never seen the terrain so I can't say for certain. From the topo maps it seems there will be areas that are open. I still plan to take and have it in my truck as a just in case

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
you'll be wishing you went to binos and a tripod sooner- wider field of view, easy on the eyes

bring a spotter when you need really detailed info- is that a legal ram, is that a trophy deer, etc

for actually spotting game, binos + tripod are the way to go

Poser

WKR
I'm bear hunting from September 5th to the 12th. 65lbs includes my tent, food, etc. I plan to have a Basecamp after I setup my Basecamp my pack weight will drop roughly 20lbs.

Ditch the spotter. Tripod is warranted.
Next year, let’s see you cut that pack weight, though

You can glass without a tripod, I’ve been doing it for years. The only reason I didn’t have a tripod was because I couldn’t afford one. When I added a Kramer Granite peak to my cheap 8x42s, it upped my game significantly. Last season I briefly went back to glassing off my knees again with a new glass (12x50 els)purchase right before the season and I regretted it.

If you can pull it off, I highly recommend the Kramer Designs Granite Peak tripod for binos. The new tricer tripod adapter can convert your trekking poles in to a tripod as well. Both are made in USA and pretty affordable.

If you have the coin, you can look at Really Right Stuff TFC-14 Mk2 with a micro ball head.

May want to see about selling your existing tripod/head and using those funds to get a lighter setup. You do not need to spend a fortune setting up a fully functional tripod and head. Do not overlook buying used as there are some folks who will spend a fortune just to say they have the "best". You can also look to see if there are any demo models for sale (ex: call Doug).

As far as which pair of binoculars to bring, take the ones with the best glass. Clarity trumps magnification. IF they're the same make/model then bring the 10s. Whichever model you bring, get them on a tripod.

OP
Tcole75

Tcole75

Lil-Rokslider
The 8x42 are better clarity. The tripod i have i originally got for prs shooting and i thought it would work for backcountry hunting im realizing now its just a little to heavy. I had planned to get a different spotter and ball head but don't have the funds currently for it. I have no problem buying used to save money i don't need the best of the best just gear that will work. Ive weighed my pack again after dropping the spotter and all my camping gear and it comes in at 25lbs.