To waterproof or not to waterproof

So I stumbled across something was interesting about boots with waterproofing. The article mentioned boots with waterproofing will maintain moisture inside the boot as well. I find my feet run hot and sweat, so I get blisters all the time. The same article mentioned if you get a bit that is breathable and not waterproof, your feet will dry out, even when they get wet on the outside.

So my question is - Is it better to go waterproof and have sweaty feet or go no waterproof and rely on the fast drying of the boot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jellymon1

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t get hot sweaty feet and if my socks get wet in my non waterproof boots they pretty much stay wet all day. The only way I can dry them is taking my boots/socks off and drying in the sun or other heat source. If I do sweat in waterproof boots and get my socks a little damp, I think everything will dry much quicker than if everything got drenched with water in non waterproof boots. But I also hunt in western Washington rainforests where it’s always wet, so maybe I’m just used to it.

Last edited:

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of Crispi Colorado’s, that have a gortex booty. I can say they breathe extremely well, at times I can feel the air going in and out. I have crossed a few creeks that water has went over my gaiters and soaked them and they dried pretty fast when I removed insoles, laces, and placed them upside down. My feet run pretty warm as well and I have never had a problem with my feet being too hot with using the right sock. I’ve even used them in the late season walking through some pretty deep snow, just add a slightly heavier sock. If do a lot of hiking through wet terrain, I always clean and reapply a waterproofing product to help with shedding outside moisture. Don’t think I would ever get a non waterproof boot if I was going to be around a lot of moisture. I even use a Salomon shoe that’s also gortex for every day wear that I really like.

OP
M
Thank you all for the input. I think my best bet is to get a boot with gortex and go from there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk