Today I learned I don't know what a 300" bull is

TAGPUNCHER

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t see 297. I don’t see anywhere CLOSE to 297. Short beams, short backs and fronts, good mass though. Unless he’s 60” wide he looks like a 260” bull to me. I’d love to see a score sheet!
I don't have a clue,like I said inches don't matter to me. That is what the taxidermist wrote on the back. I never even tried to check. It is getting moved to a different house in 2wks. I wanna look at the number and double check. I could be wrong. Got me curious. All I know is he made my MS HEART go pitter patterthen a loud boom occurred. LOL

Last edited:

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
Such a great write up and nice bull. Congrats! Thanks for sharing this.

I was really struggling to see how this bull wasn't at least 300"---until you shared the pic of him in the SxS. That really put him into perspective. He's such a nice, proportional bull that definitely has "the look" of a big bull. He's just fun sized. Great bull!

ChrisAU

WKR
Elk in my avatar grossed 315, mainly because he was 46" inside and got a few inches from a 6th tine on one side. I would have thought OP's was all over 300, but I've only measured 3. I would have shot the one in my avatar if he was 150" but legal, to be clear :D

2rocky

WKR
There is no way in heck I'd pass on that bull in bow range, provided a legit 380 plus bull wasn't in sight.

I'm an official measurer with 9 dead elk of my own and not a 300 incher to be found.

The score is just a way of quantifying what's there...The hunt itself is the most important part...

Buffalo0922

Lil-Rokslider
This post makes me feel a ton better. I also got a solo archery bull this year, felt like he was massive. Taped him at least 4 times and only hit 293 4/8. Just not wide enough!

Your bull looks awesome by the way!!

This post makes me feel a ton better. I also got a solo archery bull this year, felt like he was massive. Taped him at least 4 times and only hit 293 4/8. Just not wide enough!

Your bull looks awesome by the way!!
This is why I don’t measure anything anymore. You had to measure that bull 4 times hoping for a number. Then you felt bad enough that this post made you “feel a ton better”.

Last edited:

Jgill19

Lil-Rokslider
Pictures can be incredibly deceiving. I've got a bull that in one picture looks like he's 340+ and in another he looks like 270. Hes smack dab in the middle of those two numbers. I don't show anyone the second picture, and I just say he's a tick over 300 with a rye smile. I leave it up to there imagination lol

P.S. I'd like to see the score sheet, that bull looks quite a bit bigger than 270" to me...

Attachments

• Bull cross creek.jpg
    Bull cross creek.jpg
    662.4 KB · Views: 160

Jgill19

Lil-Rokslider
This is why I don’t measure anything anymore. You had to measure that bull 4 times hoping for a number. Then you felt bad enough that this post made you “feel a ton better”.

I'm really trying to get over worrying about score. Worst part for me is it doesnt a/effect the hunt for me until after one is killed, and that is jsut bugging me like crazy. I'm just a stupidly competetive person and for some reason have attached some merit to score. At times it takes away from the animal. It's pathetic really, gotta get past it!!

I don't know what my first elk scored when I killed it 20 years ago, but it looked I had shot a draft horse when I walked up on her. lol That was the toughest elk I have ever bit into. Scored a 10/10 for toughness. lol

Back when the Flattops didn't have a hunter behind every freaking tree in archery season...Its a shame what it has become.

f4d51af2.jpg