Toe nail pain/Black nail

Ok, ill start off with saying that I realize the #1 contributor to this is improper sizing of boot. I.e. too short. But this is the first time dealing with this issue in a pair of boots I currently run in my collection. The boot is a Salewa mountain trainer mid. They are 10.5s and I originally had 11s but were like clown shoes and way too much room in the toe box that my feet were sliding side to side. Now, I have over 100 miles on these boots as they're close to 2 months old now. Over a 3 day backpacking shed hunt I developed pain in my nails on each big toe. I know that my toes are NOT hitting the toe box. With proper lacing, I slam my boot toe into the ground and my toes never kiss the front. With unlaced and foot slid to the end of the boot, I can get 1 finger behind the heel just fine. I have been on multiple hikes of the same caliber terrain with milage varying from shorter to longer in these same boots with no issues till this past time out. Only difference being more pack weight than previous trips.

My question is this, Is it possible, or has anyone else had nail pain WITHOUT toes hitting the front of the boot? If so, what could be a possible factor?

I use the box lacing.
Nails trimmed back also.

OP
307_timberstalker
Yes to the first, No to re-tightening. Maybe I try that and see, but just seems odd. Maybe the boots just aren't that golden match to my foot. I just can't understand because 9/10 the issue is related to toes jamming in the front which isn't my case here.

The bottom line is something is hurting your toe, whether it is hitting the front, top, side, you are causing enough damage to show those signs to your nail, which isn’t insignificant. Are your socks causing too much tightness? Do you ever lose feeling in your toes? Any issues with cold in the toes?
Just trying to think of different reasons the toes would be having those problems

Poser

WKR
I have fat/thick toes and many boots have a toe box that is plenty long but not tall enough, and have had similar results to the op from boots that rubbed the top of my toe.

I found that superfeet insoles soak up a little too much vertical volume in my boots and my toes got beat up as a result. With a lower profile insole, I had no issues.

OP
307_timberstalker
the only thing I notice is my big toe rides pretty high up, I know no one enjoys foot pictures but I tried to show in the pictures. But my 2nd toe is actually almost longer and pain free. So I think what might be happening is my toe is dragging or rubbing the top of the boot toe box.

Attachments

• BBACAAB3-796C-446A-84BF-21AA5EBC812D.jpeg
    BBACAAB3-796C-446A-84BF-21AA5EBC812D.jpeg
    359.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 5C7918FE-FE67-4218-9C5A-7CBB798B828C.jpeg
    5C7918FE-FE67-4218-9C5A-7CBB798B828C.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 79626EAC-31F5-4AAF-89A8-58528951E10B.jpeg
    79626EAC-31F5-4AAF-89A8-58528951E10B.jpeg
    71.3 KB · Views: 29

Ddog

WKR
Had a pair of boots that did what you're describing and it was the toe box being too low for the insoles I was using. Put the stock insoles back in and the problem went away.

OP
307_timberstalker
Had a pair of boots that did what you're describing and it was the toe box being too low for the insoles I was using. Put the stock insoles back in and the problem went away.
Thanks! I think that's what im going to go with for a diagnosis. Trying a different style insole that takes up less volume and seeing what happens.

Marble

WKR
I found that walking down hill for periods was much easier on my feet and knees with walking walking sticks. Less shock and some assistance with stability.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

WHI13tan

FNG
I’ve had similar issues. I take a piece of duct tape and wrap it from top to bottom then put another band around my tie. Found that my nail would catch/drag on the sock and top of boot because my big toe sticks up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk