Toe Sole/Rand DIY Repair?

TXCO

WKR
I have a pair of Lowa Camino Gtx where the sole is starting to seperate. They are about half worn through and Lowa said its $125 to resole plus 3-4 months wait as it goes to Germany. Who knows at this point with covid though. So is there a pretty simple repair with glue or other adhesive I can do and get by this summer/fall?

bb98b5fbab73a204086890284063b8c3.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CM

WKR
I had a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Guides do something similar. I just threw some JB-Weld on them. It adhered to the rubber. It is ugly but seems to have done the job. I am sure there is probably something better to use

I also put seam grip on all the seams on my boots, that's what the other stuff in the picture is. It helps the rand from separating, and makes the boots more waterproof (at least in my head).

If the soles are getting warn, you can send them to this guy: https://www.davepagecobbler.com/
I've never actually used him, but have heard him recommended a few times.

boots.png

I used 3M 5200 marine adhesive to repair a similar separation on my Asolo Purmoris. The adhesive sticks very well and still retains some flexibility after it cures. Two years and two elk hunts later, the repair is holding up fine.
IMG_20200513_130316955.jpg

Last edited:

Lelder

Lil-Rokslider

Wapiti1

WKR
Barge Cement or the Aqua Seal mentioned above. Barge is what cobblers often use to resole boots.

Getting the separation clean is critical to a good repair. Follow the directions on the cement you use.

Jeremy

OP
TXCO

TXCO

WKR
Aweseome, thanks all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used tuff toe on two sets of boots with good success.

The Marine adhesive posted above looks interesting though.