TOK 8/11/19

VernAK

WKR
It's an absolute deluge here in Delta.......all night!. Delta is to get one day of respite and back to weekend rain. It's been like this for a week or more. Tok is to be a bit drier this weekend. The 206s will most likely be ferrying hunters to larger strips for pickup by the Cubs. It's hard to know whether one should bring waders as it's hard to know where you're going. It's not a bad idea to have some in the truck and if you get the word that you'll be located on a river....throw em in.

The caribou will determine your location.

Look on the bright side. If you're camped on a ridge you can catch water in a small tarp and not have to walk down to the river.

VernAK

WKR
It shouldn't make much difference if the herd is far North as it's just a longer flight over nice country. Some of the herd will be approaching teh Steese Highway and weekend road hunters will be numerous and perhaps drive them South.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
It shouldn't make much difference if the herd is far North as it's just a longer flight over nice country. Some of the herd will be approaching teh Steese Highway and weekend road hunters will be numerous and perhaps drive them South.

Thanks for the update Vern. When I talked to Leigh he said the heard was getting close to the highway. Hopefully they will bump off the highway and head SE by next week.

Looking forward to the beautiful plane ride!

VernAK

WKR
Hopefully the weather moderates enough so flights don't get backed up. Nothing worse in a small town than to have a bunch of delayed, over-anxious hunters around as they tend to get into the whiskey a bit.

If anyone can get you into that country, it will be Leif and Jake.

You'll fly over a bit of history in that area. The Eagle Trail from the Gold Rush era, WAMCATS telegraph line ran through the Ketchumstuck area, and a B17 went down on West Charley River in 50s. It took the lone survivor 82 days to walk out. So look carefully at the terrain in case you have to walk out.

The bartender in the Bear's Den isn't worth a tip but the barmaid is a great gal. Tip her well and let her know you are flying with Dad.

AKBorn

WKR
One alternative to waders - I always bring a pair of old tennis shoes for wearing in camp at the end of the day. If we end up camped by a river, they can double as wading shoes, with my boots in my pack and stripped down to boxers for the crossing.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
Hopefully the weather moderates enough so flights don't get backed up. Nothing worse in a small town than to have a bunch of delayed, over-anxious hunters around as they tend to get into the whiskey a bit.

If anyone can get you into that country, it will be Leif and Jake.

You'll fly over a bit of history in that area. The Eagle Trail from the Gold Rush era, WAMCATS telegraph line ran through the Ketchumstuck area, and a B17 went down on West Charley River in 50s. It took the lone survivor 82 days to walk out. So look carefully at the terrain in case you have to walk out.

The bartender in the Bear's Den isn't worth a tip but the barmaid is a great gal. Tip her well and let her know you are flying with Dad.
Vern thanks for all the information. If you need a drink Sunday evening I'm buying. Would love to repay some of you guys for all of the help and information that helped make this adventure happen.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

VernAK

WKR
I won't be there Sunday but will be there Friday night.

Hunters are beginning to stack up in Delta.......access to DCUA will be very difficult and possibly dangerous. Flight delays will be the norm.

I was just out on the back roads and jumped specklebelly geese of of the puddles in the road with my 4Runner. We have water.

Some folks headed for Chitna dip netting turned around at Black Rapids as visibility in Isabell Pass was a few feet.

What the heck is it with caribou weather anyway? As Vern indicated, flying in bad weather is bad news. The day I packed in for a solo hunt, the weather was great:

LaVpaHol.jpg

2 days later it looked like this when the clouds lifted.

7A2VNQfl.jpg

I woke up to this on an August Fortymile hunt....

TsAnBqyl.jpg

cHtBVtyl.jpg

And when Vern says lots of rain....well...things get very interesting. It rained like crazy a couple weeks straight ahead of moose season last year. The day we flew in it was all I could do to get myself across this creek due to high, fast water. It looks like this on a normal day:

m4gL12Ul.jpg

If you see this big fella, tell him I said hello. He's pretty social after dark.

aYcPEt1l.jpg

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
What is the standard protocol for tipping the pilot or transport service? Is that something that is done frequently or not really?

VernAK

WKR
Late yesterday, the clouds lifted enough that I could see the Granite Mountains south of my house.......Good News!
NO SNOW!........that's about the best news I can provide at this time.

Fogged in this morning.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
Late yesterday, the clouds lifted enough that I could see the Granite Mountains south of my house.......Good News!
NO SNOW!........that's about the best news I can provide at this time.

Fogged in this morning.

Thanks for keeping us updated Vern.

GAredneck

FNG
Just a longer plane ride...many times 40 Mile (depending on your destination) takes you out of Tok in a 206 or 207, and drops you and your gear at a remote wilderness strip. Then the Cubs come and take you to your camp location.

If you do end up heading farther north....that is really awesome country. Some years I have sat in camp and been able to imagine we are the only people for many many miles...
Has anyone talked with 40 mile today? I fly out Sunday and was just seeing if the head is any closer to the central range yet or still way far north?

OP
robie

robie

WKR
Tagging in. Scheduled to fly with 40mi August 19th fingers crossed for decent weather
Very nice. Quite a few of us on the board heading out with them. Sounds like I'll be in the first group and will let you guys know how we do.

Sounds good Vern! It was either fly out on the 8th (opening day) or fly out around noon on the 6th, so we chose the latter. I was on Kodiak the day we needed to call for flights and I missed the prime spots for the 7th. That's fine, I won't mind being there a day early.