Tok Air Service

Grumman

WKR
I’m a pilot and aircraft owner so am aware of aviation costs but ignorant about Alaska. What is the barrier to entry for pilots adding more flights up there? At those prices and wait lists it seems like more people would be trying to supply the demand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oenanthe

WKR
I’ve see this referenced before and spent quite a bit of time searching for a media to faa report in support. I did find reports of others smashing up super cubs flying in the 40 mile country.
https://planecrashmap.com/plane/ak/N82022/

To be fair, that was 12 years ago and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a Cub pilot with as many hours as Zack who hasn't experienced this or worse.

I’m a pilot and aircraft owner so am aware of aviation costs but ignorant about Alaska. What is the barrier to entry for pilots adding more flights up there? At those prices and wait lists it seems like more people would be trying to supply the demand.

Harder to explain and easier to understand if you've been there many times. Off-runway landings and takeoffs are hard on planes. Maintenance is expensive. I'm sure insurance for bush flying is ridiculous. There aren't lots of ready-to-use landing zones in game rich areas. Most pilots maintain their airstrips and protect their locations. Lakes with moose tend to attract float planes in droves, and it's not like there are many lakes in the Fortymile region anyway. A new pilot would have to scout for hunting areas and brush out/create airstrips in locations which 1) hold enough moose, 2) are within reasonable distance of base, 3) have a good water source and camp area. Then you have the state and all its regs the pilots and BGTs must comply with. Documentation is critical. Don't forget the hassles of dealing with hunters, supplies, marketing, weather and Murphy.

One little thing many guys don't think about is the logistical end of getting multiple hunters in and out of the bush. A Super Cub flies one hunter and is relatively slow. Range is limited by fuel capacity. Empty back-hauls still cost money and flight hours.

It's a very tough business, and the demands on a pilot and aircraft are often nonstop.

Stid2677

WKR
I've used Zack for sheep the last two years. I'm a Super Cub pilot myself, and I can say, that he is without question one of the most skilled cub drivers I have ever seen. I was quoted 14K for one year of insurance for me in a cub. Insurance is almost impossible to get for off airport operations in Alaska anymore. What many are not pricing in, is that Zack is putting you on game, not just dropping you at some strip that will get many others dropped off with you. I have flown with most of the transporters that work Alaska over the last 15 years, including 40 Mile. There is a reason many transporters are giving up the business, the cost of maintaining Super Cubs and 185s is just ridiculous. I believe his repeat customers prove, he is providing a service that people are willing to pay for. The Caribou this last season were not on their traditional grounds, as he flew me back this year, he was extremely concerned about finding the herd for the folks he had coming in. I can say, in my experience with other air taxis, they have not shown the same concern. I would strap in that cub with him and fly anywhere and would have him fly my family as well.

IMG_7104_zpsxsctw0mp.jpg

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
In an earlier post I stated that I appreciate that there are numerous and significant expenses for business owners that consumers do not ever see. In the above post Stid has outlined just a few very significant examples of real and genuine business expenses.

Stid also, as a consumer of Tok Air services for sheep hunting, has given a strong endorsement. While I have never met Stid face to face, I do respect him from years of interaction on a different hunting forum. The sheep hunting market differs significantly from the DIY moose hunting market for out of state hunters, but Stid's endorsement still speaks volumes to me as a fellow resident.

Stating the obvious, in the end it's a personal choice by the consumer...hopefully a choice based upon an informed decision weighing the pros/cons of numerous variables (not just cost). For me, once I spend the money, I never look back. Instead, I look ahead, which is why I'm booked with my chosen outfitter again next year, making it seven years in a row.

Glad I have a spot with 40 Mile Air... Much cheaper and damn the service is incredible! Great people to work with, looking forward to taking my family this coming fall for moose and caribou. It was really nice getting picked up on our planned "out" date, getting to the main strip and seeing all the others who wanted out early have to wait for us to go first :)
I’m family. When is my hunt buddy?

Have not flown with him,

tried to get a charter flight out from my cabin and he couldn’t give me a price, said he needed to call 40mile to see what they would charge -wasn’t very happy to hear that. I’ll stick with 40mile.

Last edited:

Dtyhunt

FNG
Have not flown with him,

tried to get a charter flight out from my cabin and he couldn’t give me a price, said he needed to call 40mile to see what they would charge -wasn’t very happy to hear that. I’ll stick with 40mile.

Everyone saying they’re going to stick w/ 40mile

Dtyhunt

FNG
I’m a noob here for sure, but looking @ Tok for an upcoming caribou hunt. Seems to me that everyone who hunts w/ Zack is highly complimentary and successful. Yet the “I will “stick w/ 40mile” club or those that haven’t hunted w/ him post lots of negative feedback. From an outsiders perspective, that’s pretty suspicious. I’m always wary when the only negative comments you see are not people w/ 1st hand experience. And btw, I’m no rich guy, just a hunter from the east coast who saves his $ and wants one hunt of a lifetime. Seems 40mile only caters to it’s wealthy patrons (how else could you describe anyone who could do caribou, moose, sheep hunts year after year). Some of us don’t have the luxury of spending years praying for a slot on a waitlist. Paying a couple grand more for a guaranteed slot w/ a reputable service seems worth it to me. I’m too old to hope to break into a local good ole boys club.

VernAK

WKR
I’m a noob here for sure, but looking @ Tok for an upcoming caribou hunt. Seems to me that everyone who hunts w/ Zack is highly complimentary and successful. Yet the “I will “stick w/ 40mile” club or those that haven’t hunted w/ him post lots of negative feedback. From an outsiders perspective, that’s pretty suspicious. I’m always wary when the only negative comments you see are not people w/ 1st hand experience. And btw, I’m no rich guy, just a hunter from the east coast who saves his $ and wants one hunt of a lifetime. Seems 40mile only caters to it’s wealthy patrons (how else could you describe anyone who could do caribou, moose, sheep hunts year after year). Some of us don’t have the luxury of spending years praying for a slot on a waitlist. Paying a couple grand more for a guaranteed slot w/ a reputable service seems worth it to me. I’m too old to hope to break into a local good ole boys club.

I'm elated to hear that I'm wealthy but by all means, book with Zack as I can't afford him.

AKBorn

WKR

"From an outsider's perspective" - one sure way to remain an outsider, is to toss around blanket assumptions about people you have never met. I've flown several years with 40 Mile for moose and caribou, and don't feel like I have ever met any of the "wealthy patrons" that you reference.

Good luck getting a slot with a reputable service, nothing like a remote Alaska caribou hunt for an adventure. Might wanna check your attitude a little if you hope to gather info or advice in advance of your hunt.

Trial153

WKR
Well i havent had luck getting a spot with 40 mile...so I took what i can get till I can get now, with a little luck in the future maybe i get a slot with 40mile....anyway hopefully out hunt goes well next August...more arrows less food? ...i have to pack light. Cant wait

Last edited:

the #’s don’t add up. Guess I didn’t take common core math, but Tok Air is double the cost on the same hunt.

Dtyhunt

FNG
Geez Louise! The venom I’ve been attacked w/ for expressing a simple, unbiased, observation of your posts is frankly, pretty shocking. I didn’t endorse anyone...nor did I degrade anyone. Seems like you boys have a serious axe to grind. Sorry I stepped in the middle of it. I’ll leave you to it. Last post from me. Thanks for ensuring the ole boys club alienates yet another brother hunter that doesn’t immediately lick their boots.

Dtyhunt: I believe...quite frankly....your mistake was in referring to many here as "wealthy patrons" and assuming there's some sort of "stick with 40 Mile club" or a "local good ole boys club". I have no issue with your statements, as ridiculous as they are. "Wealthy" is a relative term.....relative to your economic situation. It's also often inaccurate to make judgments about others' wealth based on YOUR preconceptions. Finally....feeling wronged (here) because people don't agree with your very first (opinionated) post or two is not justified in my mind. If you arrive here and throw down an opinion on members, you should be accepting and welcoming of their opinions as well.

I fly in to hunt moose or caribou every year without exception. I fly to Alaska from Ohio to do it. I don't consider myself wealthy, and I really don't care what others think about my economic 'status'. I choose to fly as economically as possible while still going into excellent game areas. Zack is getting something like 3x what I pay (for moose flights) and that's unacceptable to me for a yearly hunt. But then...I believe he's catering more to the one-and-done or occasional users of his service.....or maybe his clients simply have a greater willingness/ability to spend that money. I don't know....don't care. I don't make judgments about anyone who flies with him, and hear he does a pretty good job on par with other companies that charge far less.

After my morning coffee, I've decided I'd rather be known as a 'good ole boy' than a 'wealthy patron'.
😉

I have zero doubts that Tok Air provides a great service, but his price is very high. I called and asked about booking for 2021 or 2022 and was quoted $8500 for moose. That's just his flight service, nothing else. Not knocking the man or his business in any way. If people will pay that and then more power to him for charging that. I can't pay that.

The likelihood of getting in with 40 mile air is slim, due to many repeat customers. Again, good on them for having so many repeat clients. Do I wish I could somehow become one of those repeat clients? Absolutely. But, as of right now, I am just another name on their mile long wait list. There are a fair amount of other, reputable transport services in other parts of the state, that fall in my budget. I am continuing to do my research, but should have a spot locked down for 2021 in the next little bit.