Tommy Hogg 2nd Axis Question...

Gumbo

WKR
I have a question for those with experience setting up and using a Tommy Hogg. The 2nd axis adjustment is in front of the rail/slider (actually it is attached to the front of it). If you have to adjust the 2nd axis to get the pins/bubble to read vertical when the bow is vertical, or if you adjust for a natural cant, doesn't that mean that the rail will not be vertical? And if it is not vertical, doesn't that mean that even though the pins will still be vertical when they are moved down, they will move slightly left or right at the angle of the rail?

Is this enough to cause significant left/right misses at say 80 yards using your 50-60 pin as a slider? 100 yards?

rhendrix

WKR
Make sure your string is plumb so your second axis isn't affected by the third. Check to make sure the riser is level and adjust your second axis accordingly. Your second axis should be set to be level and plumb to the riser assuming your shooting with zero nock travel

Dameon

WKR
I have a Tommy and this is how I do it since I don't have a bow vise. I use a 4ft carpenters spirit level and set the bow on its bottom cam on the floor or bench with the spirit level vertical and tight against the limb pockets. Adjust the two so that the carpenter level reads plumb. Check and adjust the second axis and sight level and repeat as necessary. Now you need to set the third axis.

Grab an arrow and head to the garage where I assume you have a garage opener with a cord hanging down to release the latch. Standing 6 to 10 ft from that cord, nock an arrow, and draw the bow and aim right up at that cord. Adjust your aim so that the single pin or wire is in perfect alignment with the cord. Check your sight bubble. If it is not centered, let down and adjust the third axis. Repeat as necessary.

Now that you have the second and third axis set plumb and level. You can now adjust the second axis to your natural cant if you wish. The best way of doing this is closing your eyes, draw your bow, and then check the sight level. Repeat three or four times to be sure about what adjustments to make. Repeat setting third axis.

All this being said, I've done this multiple times myself for various setups and the best by far was simply using a proper grip and stabilizers to balance your bow at full draw. I found keeping your natural cant in high winds is a lot harder than keeping level to begin with. Your mileage may vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Gumbo

Gumbo

WKR
Thanks for the advice, I do appreciate it. But I don't think the original question wasn't really addressed. My question wasn't how to set 2nd/3rd axes, it has to do with the location of the 2nd axis adjustment in relation to the slider mechanism and the ramifications at long range if the 2nd axis must be adjusted..

Gumbo, you are correct from a geometric perspective. How much it will affect your R/L POI say using your 60 yd pin as the floater is only going to be determined by shooting your bow. My Black Gold Ascent has the same design. So far in a year of shooting I haven't had issues but recognized you could when setting it up. Good luck with it!