Tomorrow is here

SlickStickSlinger

Lil-Rokslider
I leave tomorrow to start the 2020 elk hunt. This is my second year hunting after filling a mule deer buck tag last year I've put in majority of my effort for elk. Been up scouting several times and they have been where I've gone.
Getting sleepless and ancy now, even as I right this. I have a good feeling about it.

Anyways, its here and considering the state of the nation and globe for that matter, this year hunting could mean more than last or any to come.

Best of luck all of you going out this year. Let's get it done. I know my mind is geared toward getting it done for my wife and kids.

God bless all of you.

OP
SlickStickSlinger

SlickStickSlinger

Lil-Rokslider
I left after work Wednesday and the hunt started Saturday. All I saw up until Saturday were cows. I heard a mix of chat between cows n a bull or two making noise. My camp was tucked away where I could see who walked by on the trail, if anyone and 4 hunters with 4 goats made it by and the rest, all 7 were backpackers. Anyway, Friday night the same day I saw the hunters go by i hear a BUNCH of bugling. I thought it had to be the hunters up the way. The next morning, opening morning I didnt hear anything. I hiked up into a bowl about 11.3k up and saw two cows along the way. I had glassed a spot the day before where it was a boulder slide besides one point, and that one point had a very large cow in it feeding across. I remembered seeing that and moved to that position to take a break. Sure enough four cows walked by. I had no shot and couldnt believe it. Now, I have been up here 3 days and told myself I would take whatever God offered, after not seeing any bulls. I looked where the cows walked by and found a position along the trail I could get 3 good openings. So I sat in the new spot and less than 10 minutes later that big ol cow came walking through. I drew back and stopped her in the opening at 33 yards and wapp. My 550g cut throat driven arrow slammed through lung, heart and lodged into a tree on the other side. She took a couple steps like she was going to run but stopped and stared at as I drove a hypodermic to the vitals and she expired not 25 yards from the original shot. I got the dirty work done and took a load down. I hung the rest to get in the morning with my wife and nine year old son. This is my second year remember. I hiked my camp the 8 miles to the car, met them and began the trek back in. We ended up cutting off into the woods about 2 miles to soon and took one helluva hike to a balloon on OnX that we struggled to get to. It took us several hours to finally find the meat. My wife took a hind quarter in a baby carrier while I took a hind and 2 fronts down to the river. Yeah that really sucked. We dropped the meat in the shade and made the hike to camp where the other than leg cuts were. My wife is Mexican and spoke Spanish to a couple shepherds to offer a front quarter for a ride on their horses the nearly 8 miles out. They agreed. Those ranchers lived there and were brought food weekly and tended 2000 head of sheep. I have a lot of faith this was a God driven hunt. Missed the first opportunity, bigger second opportunity, took it with gratitude what had been provided, gave a fair portion to these very lean living ranchers and make it out on horseback. Anyways. This is my first elk hunt experience.

Good luck to everyone else.

Attachments

• 20200815_151301.jpg
    20200815_151301.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 172
  • 20200815_151608.jpg
    20200815_151608.jpg
    646.8 KB · Views: 175
  • 20200815_151144.jpg
    20200815_151144.jpg
    418.3 KB · Views: 178
  • 20200816_152430.jpg
    20200816_152430.jpg
    582.8 KB · Views: 174
  • 20200816_152343.jpg
    20200816_152343.jpg
    710.6 KB · Views: 170
  • 20200816_174719.jpg
    20200816_174719.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
OP
SlickStickSlinger

SlickStickSlinger

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t know how far she had to carry that quarter in a baby carrier, but regardless of the distance, that is an awesome wife you’ve got to help you like she did!!

Great story, thanks for sharing and congratulations!

We carried that down a thousand foot incline across about a mile over and around dead fall and over runoff cricks. After she talked to the ranchers I knew she was a keeper. But not until then! Haha, she is amazing.

Nicely done! What a great experience and with your family too. Great memories and some good meat. That is a heck of a second year. (y)

Ya know, I was thinking me solo hunting was going to end up keeping the memories for myself. But after everything that happened, I'm really happy to have made some to share with my family.

Thanks all
Plenty worth it!