Too early to scout?

whiskey 1

FNG
Hey guys, i usually don't start scouting high country hunts in co. till mid july but might have some time off at the end june. Just wondering if thats to early for bucks to be in their summer patterns. Its a 13 hr drive to my unit and don't really have time and money to blow. So any input would be a big help. It'll be southern co. thanks

noah

Beastmode

WKR
It all depends how much snow the area gets. I have been in some areas that have snow until mid july. If feed is sprouting up and most of the snow is gone the deer should be there.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Might be a gamble that early in the high country. I've found bucks that early only to not see them again. Don't want to be a downer on the idea..., scouting is always valuable and fun.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
you can really start to get a feel for it when you compare your actual area to a nearby snotel. i dont know what i did before someone turned me on to that site!

I think I might have showed you that! I used Snotel for checking to see snow levels so I could go snowmobiling. Then I thought "hey this could work both ways"!

OP
whiskey 1

whiskey 1

FNG
Thanks guys. I love to scout but with gas prices and the awesome economy right now i'd hate to waste a trip. I'll check that snow melt site too. Thanks again ya'll.

noah