Too early to start a new Gear List Thread?

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
I would keep the rain gear, at least the jacket. Thats one of those items that can be very important. If anything leave the guide jacket and bring the rain jacket.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
edg1967 you might get that all in a DT3, but where you gonna put all your food?

I don't know about the guide jacket, but being a softshell its known for its insulating properties, nor are they known for their protection in nasty conditions. Like others have said, drop the guide and take the rain jacket. I personally think soft shells like the Kuiu Guide, C4E Element, Sitka 90%...etc are ALMOST worthless on backpack hunts. Not very much warmth and if the weather turns nasty not enough protection. I wore my spindrift for my outer layer in all kinds of weather this year and if the weather turned nasty I'd put on my rain jacket. I'm getting rid of my C4E element jacket. Just doesn't serve much of a purpose for me...

Mike

Mike7

WKR
Here the big problem with softshells I've worn similar to the the guide jacket is that they soak through not from rain alone, but rather from contact with wet foliage, wet pack straps, etc. Rain jackets on the other hand are much more dependable and can be vented as needed for hiking or put back on when you reach your destination.

Bear spray is probably a great option (UDAP makes a great lightweight comfortable chest harness if you are not going to attach it to your binocular case somehow), but I fully believe that some of the statistics that I have seen previously on griz encounters are skewed. Everyone who has to spray a griz reports the great exciting story it seems. But the only people who know about many firearm grizzly encounters are only close friends (i.e. never reported unless injury occurred), because of the legal issues surrounding reporting grizzly shooting, particularly in the lower 48 and Canada.

lorneparker1

Lil-Rokslider
Here the big problem with softshells I've worn similar to the the guide jacket is that they soak through not from rain alone, but rather from contact with wet foliage, wet pack straps, etc. Rain jackets on the other hand are much more dependable and can be vented as needed for hiking or put back on when you reach your destination.

Bear spray is probably a great option (UDAP makes a great lightweight comfortable chest harness if you are not going to attach it to your binocular case somehow), but I fully believe that some of the statistics that I have seen previously on griz encounters are skewed. Everyone who has to spray a griz reports the great exciting story it seems. But the only people who know about many firearm grizzly encounters are only close friends (i.e. never reported unless injury occurred), because of the legal issues surrounding reporting grizzly shooting, particularly in the lower 48 and Canada.

isnt that the truth....

Lorne

Repost your list again Edg.

I would say drop your soft shell, and if your weight is without food/water you are getting there. I used to have a guide jacket, it did shed rain well and could be used for a rain coat if you are in the timber milling about... I now just use my goretex paclite jacket, coupled with my spindrift for insulation and complete wind/water protection. If I don't have the spindrift on im rolling in my merino top.

OP
E

edg1967

WKR
I'll have to get it off my computer tonight, but I think after I dropped the Guide & rain pants I'm at 34 lbs. 10 oz. right now. I'll have to add a couple more items but I can maybe drop a few more too. I feel pretty good where I'm at now. The hard thing now is waiting for that Bikini to throw everything in & see how it feels.

I'll have to get it off my computer tonight, but I think after I dropped the Guide & rain pants I'm at 34 lbs. 10 oz. right now. I'll have to add a couple more items but I can maybe drop a few more too. I feel pretty good where I'm at now. The hard thing now is waiting for that Bikini to throw everything in & see how it feels.

does that 34 include weapon? most people, myself included are good 1.5lb food per day so add that in, and say 7lb water maybe? if that weapon included id say youre good, if not you could lose a couple more lbs

OP
E

edg1967

WKR
That is with my current bow. I may look for something different this year but don't know if it will be lighter or a little heavier.

OP
E

edg1967

WKR
My most recently updated list....feeling pretty good about it at this point.

Item lbs. oz.
Pack
Kifaru BT1 w/2 small belt pouches 6 5
Modified with no snow collar or sleeping bag divider
Longhunter Lid without straps & Grab-it

Sleep System
Kifaru 20* Slick Bag w/5-string stuff sack 2 13
TI Goat Raven Bivy 9
Exped Synmat UL 7 (Medium) 1 1
Seek Outside Breakaway Tarp with Annex 1 7
Tent Stakes (12) & Trip-eze line 7

Bow 6 10
Mathews Z7
Tight Spot Quiver
Victory VAPs with Rocky Mountain TI-100s (3)
Spott Hogg 5-Pin
Doinker 10”
Schaffer Rest

First Aid Kit - In small OR waterproof stuff sack 5
Gauze Pad
Mole Skin
Steri Strips
Quick Clot
Super Glue
Assorted Meds (Tylenol, Allergy meds, cold meds, etc.)
Antacid

Hygiene & Misc Items - In Kifaru KU small pullout 1 1
Body Glide
Cortizone
Q-Tips
Tooth Brush
Tooth Paste
Chapstick
Toilet Paper (1/4 roll)
Baby wipes
MSR Towel
Duct Tape
Lens Cleaner
Compass
Heat Packs (hand warmers - 2)
Allen Wrenches (bow specific)
Bic Lighters (2)

Kill Kit - In Kifaru medium KU pull-out 1 5
Havalon Piranta w/6 extra blades
Benchmade Folding knife
Rubber Gloves
Game Bags - 2 TAG 24x44
Kifaru Meat Baggie
Contractor Garbage Bags - 2

Calls 6

Trekking Poles (used for tarp poles also) 1 2

Jetboil Stove w/one gas canister & TI spork 1 8

Zebra Headlamp 3

Leatherman Skeletool 6

MarkingTape(3ft.) 1
Cannon Camera 9

Camelbak 1 qt. water bottles (2-empty) 6

Swarovski SLC 10x42 Binoculars - In FNF bino harness 2 12

Garmin 62S 8

Bow Releases (2) 8

Extra Clothing - In HPG S25M bag 2
First Lite Red Desert Boxer Briefs
Kuiu 185 Top
Kuiu Guide Beanie
Kuiu Guide Gloves
Bridgedale Merino Wool Socks
Pair Smartwool Merino Wool Sock liners
Kuiu Neck Gaitor

Eddie Bauer First Ascent Downlight Jacket w/hood 1 2
packed in waterproof Sea to Summit compression sack

Clothing to wear *
First Lite Allegheny Bottoms
First Lite Red Desert Boxer Briefs
Kuiu 185 Top
Kuiu Guide Vest
Bridgedale Merino Wool Socks
Smartwool Merino Wool liner socks
Kuiu Attack Pants
OR Gaitors

Rainwear 1 4
Kuiu Chugach Jacket

Footwear
Lowa Tibet Boots *

Total 34 10

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would skip the marking tape and bring a whole roll of TP...if you need the TP you will be glad to have it, and it can serve as a biodegradable trail marker too :)

You're at 34lbs 10 oz now... What did you originally start with? Looks great now. If for a 5 days trip, 1.5 x 5 = 7.5 lbs for food, and 6 lbs for water
48 lbs and change. Looks good now!

OP
E

edg1967

WKR
You're at 34lbs 10 oz now... What did you originally start with? Looks great now. If for a 5 days trip, 1.5 x 5 = 7.5 lbs for food, and 6 lbs for water
48 lbs and change. Looks good now!

I'm pretty happy with the weight now & appreciate all the input & help from those of you with a lot more experience. I'll do some fine tuning over the next 7 or 8 months, but feel I should be pretty close to where I'm at now. Part of what will determine the final weight is who I can get to go with & what shelter we'll use. I have a 4-man Kifaru Tipi that we can share instead of the tarp.

slim9300

WKR
It's been a long time since I updated my list. Maybe this will be helpful for you or some others.

I have some fine tuning to go in terms of food and snacks before hunting season but this is everything that is on my body minus my boots, the clothes on my back and my bow for a 10 day hunt. I normally carry in about 60 ounces of water when I know where I am going and 100 ounces when I don't. Also, I give my partner my bivy and air pillow to carry since we share the MegaTarp. That's another 11 ounce savings that I don't account for.

Obviously, I like my "luxury" items. :)

Backpacking Items in Ounces

Kifaru Timberline w/ aluminum stays, belt pocket & standard lid - 97.0
Camelbak 100 Oz. hydration reservoir - 9.3
MSR Dromedary Bag (10 liter) - 4.7
Kifaru MegaTarp w/ MSR reflective guy lines & MSR stakes (14) - 33.3
TiGoat Raven Omni Bivy w/ bug mesh - 8.6
Marmot Helium sleeping bag w/ 10L Uberlight DrySack (15* / long) - 37
Sea to Summit silk / cotton bag liner - 6.0
Exped UL Air Pillow (Large) - 2.18
Exped SynMat UL 7 w/ patch kit (Medium w/ seam sealer lines) - 17.9
JetBoil SOL w/ 110g fuel canister & base support - 20.3
Long Titanium Spoon- 1.78
iPhone 5 w/ case - 4.48
Caribou Gear “The Carnivore Meat Bags” - 11.7
SPOT Tracking Device w/ lithium batteries- 7.38
Garmin Rino 530hcx w/ lithium pack & extra lithium battery pack - 14.54
Silva Compass - 2.74
Pentax WG-1 digital camera & mini flex tripod - 7.42
Nikon Monarch 10x42 Binos w/ Sitka Bino Bivy - 31.8
Nikon 880 Rangefinder - 8.7
Eye glasses & hard case - 4.88

Kuiu light-weight Merino wool crew, bottoms & gator (Large) - 14.1
Kuiu mid-weight Merino wool 1/4 zip shirts (X-Large) - 12.2
Kuiu SuperDown w/ hood (XL) - 11
Kuiu Chugach Rain Jacket and Pants (Large) - 31.8
SmartWool Hiker socks (2 pairs), UA beany & thin gloves - 10.0
Granite Gear 18L Uberlight DrySacks (4) - 2.96

Sawvivor 15" saw w/ bone and wood blades - 9.51
Gerber Gator knife & Havalon Piranta knife w/ 4 extra blade - 8.23
Allen wrenches (bow specific) - 1.22
Zebralight H600w XM-L w/ 16850 battery - 3.76
Large zipties (8) - 0.45
Mountain House dehydrated meals (10 @ 5.14 oz. average) - 51.4
Ritz SC&O Toasted Chips - 8.6
Instant Oatmeal packets (18 @ 1.72 oz.) - 30.96
PB/B/N Bagel Sandwiches (8) - 36.16
Snacks - Fruit Leather (16), PB crackers (8), trail mix (2 oz.), candy - 33.12
Slick Trick 100 grain Standard Broadheads (3) - 1.27
Crystal Light Packets (8) - 1.5
Dyneema IronWire cord (50' of orange) - 1.27
1-mil garbage bag (1) - 1.76
Cow calls, reeds & tube - 7.75
Camo face paint - 1.9
Flagging (20') - 0.3
Large Scent-A-Way field wipes (12) - 9.81
Optics lens cloth - 0.27
Small roll duct tape - 0.75
Toilet paper (ie. paper towels) - 2.5
First aid Kit (blister medic, superglue, pills, lighter, wet tinder, etc.) - 8.0
Scent-free deotorant- 3.0
Toothbrush & toothpaste - 1.5
Pristine Water Treatment Drops- 1.8
1/2 roll of folded paper towel (for drying boots) - 3.5
Wind checker - 1.01
Extra Lithium batteries (AA - 4 & 16850 battery w/ case) - 4.4
New Balance Minimus Trail Shoes - 10.0
Black Diamond Carbon Z-Lite Trekking Poles - 10.5

Total: 41.81 lbs.

Lawnboi

WKR
Looks great now. Only thing I would consider is carrying those rain pants, not only for rain, but for a wind blocker if your spending a considerable amount of time sitting and glassing. Once your wet it wont be fun. But if you have the tipi and stove atleast you will be able to dry out if you do get some weather.

The only problem with taking a tipi and stove is your probably not going to want to move it every day if your moving around, which may or may not be a big deal

Why are so many guys using bivy bags inside Kifaru or Seek Outside shelters ? I get a little moisture on my bag without a bivy but it dries during the day.If I use a bivy I still get the moisture on the bag but it wont dry unless I pull it out of the bivy.If its to cold for it to dry than I have a woodstove when I fire that up everything dries
Tim

slim9300

WKR
Why are so many guys using bivy bags inside Kifaru or Seek Outside shelters ? I get a little moisture on my bag without a bivy but it dries during the day.If I use a bivy I still get the moisture on the bag but it wont dry unless I pull it out of the bivy.If its to cold for it to dry than I have a woodstove when I fire that up everything dries
Tim

If I used a foam pad or a Slick Bag, I wouldn't use the UL bivy. But a bivy certainly isn't a necessary item either way. The same could be said for my bag liner, UL shoes and my iPhone.

Last edited:

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Looks good to me now. You will always be upgrading and tweaking. I'm pretty sure most here would cring at what I leave the trailhead with weight wise, but I feel I have and use everything in my pack so its not the end of the world for me and somehow I still find animals even leaving with 60+ pounds for a 5 day hunt, or sometimes 80+ if packrafting is involved. Just take everything you need and nothing you don't and rock on and find the animals. :D