Too early to start a new Gear List Thread?

Lawnboi

WKR
Looks like your on your way.

Id keep a bladder, id just get a more robust one than the camelbak. Also have 2 things to hold water in case one fails. That's why I carry a bladder and a Nalgene. A Nalgene bottle has too many uses not to take with.

As for a foam mat, try it at home or on a closer trip before you commit to it. they are not the most comfortable but they also have a lot of good uses over their inflatable versions.

I agree you can drop a lot of weight for basically nothing, you already have a bunch of very good stuff.

OP
E

edg1967

WKR
I dropped the Wyoming Saw, Lantern, Sig, Goal Zero, some clothes and miscellaneous items and also did a quick thinning of some of my other items and dropped 8 lbs. 8 oz. already! I can pick and choose a few more things and probably drop at least another 3 or 4 pounds without a problem. I think I can get close to 50 lbs with food and water. Amazing how fast the ounces add up!

I think you could cut your weight to 50lbs EASY, and probably down to 40-45 if you get serious about dropping weight if not even lower. Without even looking too deep at your list I see an easy 13lbs you can drop.

For a 5 day trip you could be sub 40. You have really good lightweight gear, you just carry too much of it! haha

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
Out of what you posted this is what I would leave home:
Pistol,spotting scope, tripod, running shoes, guide jacket, 1 boxers, one of the two tops(185 or 250), 1 pair of socks and liners, lantern, solar charger, wind checker, 1 bow release, leather man, flashlight, paper towels, saw, belt buckle, para cord (use mason line instead), bow wax, tyvek tarp, some extra blades in kill kit, nail file and clippers, deodorant, burn ointment, tampons, saline(unless for contacts), cortisone, superglue, band aids, steristrips, some tent stakes, 2 arrows( you don't need 5, 2 or 3 max).

That should get you started, weigh that pile and tell me what it is!
You truly don't need all of that, if something breaks then improvise. You are archery hunting you don't need anything more than binocs, that spotting scope is crazy heavy. I would even leave the camera if you have a smartphone with a good one.
Hope that helps!

I appreciate the input and see now where I can cut some weight. I know for sure I'll drop the Sig, Wyoming saw, some base layers & a few things in my hygiene and first aid kits. Probably not take the small piece of Tyvek in the Kill kit, but kind of want to keep the one for the tarp just to protect the Synmat...then again, I might sacrifice something else and get a lightweight foam pad to put under the bivy. As thin as the Synmat is, it kind of scares me. I'll also take out the BD light and may take the Goal Zero kit out too, but have to think about it. Mine has worked really well to charge my cell phone. I'm also questioning my Camelbak water bladder...I may go with a bottles instead. I'll take out some of the stuff and weigh it to see how much I can save. I'm guessing about enough to cover my food and water. I'd like to be under 55 lbs with food & water.

Instead of the Goal Zero, try this charger using lithium AA batteries.
http://t.brookstone.com/aa-battery-...iid=SearchResults|CategoryProductList|750977p

I dropped the Wyoming Saw, Lantern, Sig, Goal Zero, some clothes and miscellaneous items and also did a quick thinning of some of my other items and dropped 8 lbs. 8 oz. already! I can pick and choose a few more things and probably drop at least another 3 or 4 pounds without a problem. I think I can get close to 50 lbs with food and water. Amazing how fast the ounces add up!

Isn't it amazing? People just think oh its just a few ounces... Well they add up!

Daniel_M

WKR
Never too early to start the list. I concentrate much of my efforts for all packing by following sheep gear lists. Just don't follow my float hunt. Lol

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
w
2 arrows( you don't need 5, 2 or 3 max).

That's a bold move, only 2 arrows? I'm usually down 2 arrows from shooting grouse just on the hike in! Throw in a few lunchtime long range shooting contest with buddies and I need at least 7 lol!

I use a recurve so it's a tad different, but I bring 3. Two with broad heads and 1 blunt. I use the blunt for messing around or for small game. I know with a compounds force you can easily damage an arrow, I think if you want 1-3 extra that's ok but after that you are carrying needless weight. 1 for the main goal, and 2 for play/spares

OP
E

edg1967

WKR
I did a more thinning this morning since I didn't have to go to work. Dropped a couple arrows, some tent stakes, Tyvek and some misc. stuff from the first aid kit, etc. I forgot to add in calls at 6 oz, but still had a net loss of another 1 1/2 lbs! Now I'm down more than 10 lbs and debating weather or not to take the scope and tripod. Where I'm going to be hunting I don't know if there is much need for it or not. I'll also maybe just go with coffee filters and water treatment tablets and forget about the filter. All that would get me to less than 40 lbs without food & water. Pretty soon I'll be able to get everything in the Spike Camp!

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
Glad to hear your making progress edg1967. In regards to water treatment I just use a bandanna and find it works plenty well enough about 95% of the time. Coffee filters kinda suck IMO, unless you are using a cutdown piece of one of the metal mesh ones. In any case I used to use a MSR Miniworks which weighed about the same as your filter, I have since changed to a Sawyer squeeze filter. The sawyer weighs 2.6oz, and i like it much better, not only for the weight savings, but the longevity of it and no having to scrub a filter element etc. I use it as a squeeze filter and also it comes with a hose barb so i can use it inline with my cabelbak. I LOVE the sawyer squeeze, and it costs $39 without coupons from most places. Unless you already have a bunch of treatment tabs purchased, look at the cost side. You buy tabs a few times and you are already close to the price of the sawyer, and the sawyer is good for 1 million!!! gallons. You cant wear out the sawyer if you try. I will say that the bags that come with the sawyer kind of suck, but i found they work fine if you are somewhat gentle with them and dont really squeeze the heck out of them. Platypus collapsible bottles and most all soda bottles also thread onto it for either the clean or dirty side.

lorneparker1

Lil-Rokslider
I did a more thinning this morning since I didn't have to go to work. Dropped a couple arrows, some tent stakes, Tyvek and some misc. stuff from the first aid kit, etc. I forgot to add in calls at 6 oz, but still had a net loss of another 1 1/2 lbs! Now I'm down more than 10 lbs and debating weather or not to take the scope and tripod. Where I'm going to be hunting I don't know if there is much need for it or not. I'll also maybe just go with coffee filters and water treatment tablets and forget about the filter. All that would get me to less than 40 lbs without food & water. Pretty soon I'll be able to get everything in the Spike Camp!

Thats wicked man!. BTW its normal to be way OVER on your first cpl of trips. once you get out there you will see all the crap you have that you never used. lol. I didnt see you removing the extra batteries out of your pack. I would strongly suggest that (unless im missing another reason to carry them). Just make sure everything has new batteries before you leave. IF you are running lithiums you will enver have to replace batteries out on a hunt. I run a new set of lithiums in all my gear at the beginning of the season and only my gps (oregron450) comes close to using all the power (in a FULL seaso not just one 5 dayer)

Unless im sheep hunting, or goat(where you have be over the nose for a legal sheep, or dont treally want to "go and see if its legal 2 miles up" )the spotting scope will always stay at home. You have a great set of binos.

Lorne

Lorne

I wouldn't take the tripod and spotter if you think you might not use them in a densely forested area, if thats what you're hunting. Repost your gear list after you've made all your corrections and let us have another look see.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I always suggest you take a list of all the gear you pack with you on your trips the first couple of times.

Every time you use something check it off your list. At the end of a couple trips you have items you didn't use, you probably don't need them. This does not count first aid and emergency stuff, generally you take that stuff and hope not to use it.

lorneparker1

Lil-Rokslider
another thing to keep in mind seems simple but often forgotten, try to avoid items that only have 1 function.

Thats a great point. I also have everything that takes batteries (camera, gps, headlamp) that all take the same kind of batteries

Lorne

On bringing the spotting scope or not. Only you can determine your need for it. If you are in country where it could easily take a few hours to get on an animal, then I would definitely bring it. You may be able to spot an elk or deer WAY out there with your binos, and even be able to tell if it has horns or not. But many times I'll then use the spotter to find other animals hidden next to that first one and oftentimes they will be what I'm willing to kill.

If you are willing to kill anything with a good frame or just "legal" than I'd be inclined to leave the spotter more depending on how far in you are going. If you're a bit more picky than you may opt to take it.

Mike

OP
E

edg1967

WKR
I'll re-post now with my modifications. Since I'm not carrying the Sig, I'm switching from one medium belt pouch to two small pouches. I can combine my small miscellaneous items and hygiene stuff into one small KU pull-out. Dropped the flashlight even though I hate to because it is like spotlight. Taking the shoes out, but will want to find something else and don't know if I can find anything else like that under a pound. I took out the fire paste and will add cotton balls in vaseline if I can find some film canisters (who still uses film?). Since I'm dropping the spotter I can use a side pocket on the Timberline to carry the tarp and save 4 oz in the stuff sack. I'm going to go with two water bottles instead of the camelback. I took out the filter, but will have to add some weight for some sort of filter system and water drops. I don't want to take out the camera because the Iphone takes crappy pictures in low light. Altogether I'm down almost 20 lbs at 37 lbs, 8 oz. That's huge! I know I'll have to add in a couple things yet and can maybe take out a couple too, but I think I can be less than 40 pounds without food. I may drop the rain pants if I'm wearing gaiters anyway.

Item lbs. oz.
Pack
Kifaru BT1 w/2 small belt pouches 6 5
Modified with no snow collar or sleeping bag divider
Longhunter Lid without straps & Grab-it

Sleep System
Kifaru 20* Slick Bag w/5-string stuff sack 2 13
TI Goat Raven Bivy 9
Exped Synmat UL 7 (Medium) 1 1
Seek Outside Breakaway Tarp with Annex 1 7
Tent Stakes (12) & Trip-eze line 7

Bow 6 10
Mathews Z7
Tight Spot Quiver
Victory VAPs with Rocky Mountain TI-100s (3)
Spott Hogg 5-Pin
Doinker 10”
Schaffer Rest

First Aid Kit - In small OR waterproof stuff sack 5
Gauze Pad
Mole Skin
Steri Strips
Quick Clot
Super Glue
Assorted Meds (Tylenol, Allergy meds, cold meds, etc.)
Antacid

Hygiene & Misc Items - In Kifaru KU small pullout 1 4
Body Glide
Cortizone
Q-Tips
Tooth Brush
Tooth Paste
Nail Clipper
Chapstick
Toilet Paper (1/4 roll)
Baby wipes
MSR Towel