Too Many Bows... How do you guys set up your bows?

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
I am about 3 years into my archery hunting escapades (yep that is what I would call them to this point) - so I am still quite a noob. I started with a Diamond Deploy SB RAK (but customized it with my own set up) - mainly because I was wanting the lightest bow I could find to backpack hunt (and its damn light). During my 1st year elk hunting, after a great day where I was very close to dropping an arrow on an elk, it had gotten really dirty and I was back at camp cleaning it when (like a true noob) I dry fired it trying to clean some grit out of the cams. I literally ran to the bow shop and had them build me a new bow (yes I am fortunate to be at that place in life) because we had bulls bugling all over us that day.

My replacement bow was a Mission Ballistica 2.0 which I equally customized. Fortunately the Diamond was not destroyed, a bowtech dealer was able to rebuild it and have had no issues. I think that was mainly because it was not a full dry fire. I mostly hunted the next 2 seasons with my Ballistica. It is a bit smaller length bow and getting in tight spaces was easier. Plus the anchor position is a bit firmer and seemed to help me with my accuracy.

This past season I was shooting a lot more and shot a Matthews Vertex and fell in love with it. I ended up buying one. So now I have 3 what I feel are solid bows.

Question(s) to the Rokslide crowd...

1. is it better to just stick with one bow, period.
2. do many of you have multiple bows that you set up for different scenarios, if so what are they?
3. should I prune back my bows?

I hunt (and fish) 7/24/360... in other words I try hunting about everything there is, both east and west (live on the east). I want to grow my archery hunting to where it is the bulk of my "harvest" across everything I hunt and gun season is either just a gimme, or for those bad archery years.

Zac

WKR
Your gonna want to use the Vertix for everything, just keep one of the others for a back up.

WCB

WKR
Kind of in the same place as you...I was shooting a Bowtech Carbon Icon until last year...long story short I traded an older bow I had sitting around straight up for a 2017 Bowtech Prodigy completely set up...then cam into another Prodigy a few months ago.

I am going to set up the two BT Prodigys identical except for draw weight and arrow weight/setup. 1 will be my outwest Antelope, Mule Deer, Whitetail, and a 3d type bow. Faster flatter for better forgiveness on range estimation.

The second Prodigy will be set lighter with a heavier arrow for tree stand/late season hunting and elk hunting where I'm not as concerned with longer ranges (65+yards) and I want a little smoother quieter draw.

Nice thing about these two set ups...they will be identicle (strings, sights, rest, peep, etc.) so there will be no change in my form if i need to use one as a back up.

The Icon I am not sure yet...just leave it as is right now. Maybe sell it. I will say don't go down to one bow always have an extra even if it is different for the scenario you experienced on your elk hunt.

nphunter

WKR
I use to keep a backup bow but have never needed it. It's cheaper to have an extra set of strings and know how to work on a bow. I had a buddy on a trip to ID a couple years ago dry fire his bow shooting at a deer, nock slipped off the string or broke? I was able to put his bow back together that night, we had to do some engineering to make a press from a rachet strap and had his bow shooting great out to 50 yards later that evening.

I sell my used bows now and would rather spend my money elsewhere, I also like to have my bow perfectly tuned and dialed in. I like to use it that way year-round, 3D season I shoot my heavy hunting arrows and with my bow fully maxed out just like I'm hunting. There was a time I use to have a bow for 3D, 3D arrows for my bow, and different site marks for 3D. Since switching to only my hunting setup year round I have become a much better shot and spend more time focusing on small things like shot execution and refining small things in my form or setup to make me more accurate.

Sell those other two bows and buy a EZ Green press, draw board and scale and learn to work on your own stuff to make it as accurate as possilbe.

Brendan

WKR
I had a Hoyt explode and take itself out of commission for 2-3 weeks a couple years ago requiring a trip back to Hoyt. Then had to set it up again from scratch. With the season coming, I walked into my dealer and had to buy a new bow so I'd be sure I was ready. One of the few times in recent years I didn't have a backup ready to go. If that had happened closer to my hunt, I'd have been screwed.

For as much prep as I do, and as much as I invest in my hunts, I'll always have a bow set up and ready to go. I personally don't need it to be the same bow, I do want it shooting the same arrows though. This is all on top of having extra sets of strings, backup sights / rests if needed, and press and draw board to do my own work.

Really, the worst thing possible for me would be an equipment failure ruining a hunt.

But, different scenarios: Currently I run a 35" Axle to Axle Hoyt as my primary bow, and have a 28" Triax as my backup for shorter range stuff, ground blinds, etc. Keeps me on my toes shooting both.

Catahoula

WKR
I have a Mathews Halon 32 set up as primary and a Mathew Chill R set up for back up. Basically set up with the same accessories. Draw weight and length pretty much identical..... the difference, the Chill R is way lighter. My bottom line.... I think it’s a good thing to have a secondary bow for incidentals...

Beendare

WKR
It doesn't hurt to have a backup.....

I find when I flip flop back and forth between bows I don't shoot as well. Its not as big of a deal with compounds...its a big deal with Stickbows.

_____

fatlander

WKR
I always set my back ups to shoot the same arrows as my primary. I also make sure to use the same sight and same rest and quiver. I never shoot as well switching from bow to bow, so the back up is absolutely that. A back up.

When I fly to hunt in the lower 48, I only bring my primary bow and an extra set of strings. I’m never far enough from a press somewhere to change strings. If it’s broken beyond that, I’d buy a bow off the shelf and set it up to finish the hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
I use to keep a backup bow but have never needed it. It's cheaper to have an extra set of strings and know how to work on a bow. I had a buddy on a trip to ID a couple years ago dry fire his bow shooting at a deer, nock slipped off the string or broke? I was able to put his bow back together that night, we had to do some engineering to make a press from a rachet strap and had his bow shooting great out to 50 yards later that evening.

I sell my used bows now and would rather spend my money elsewhere, I also like to have my bow perfectly tuned and dialed in. I like to use it that way year-round, 3D season I shoot my heavy hunting arrows and with my bow fully maxed out just like I'm hunting. There was a time I use to have a bow for 3D, 3D arrows for my bow, and different site marks for 3D. Since switching to only my hunting setup year round I have become a much better shot and spend more time focusing on small things like shot execution and refining small things in my form or setup to make me more accurate.

Sell those other two bows and buy a EZ Green press, draw board and scale and learn to work on your own stuff to make it as accurate as possilbe.

What happens if you blow up a limb....I've had more guys I know have this happen...either by accident or faulty limbs. No bow press going to get you outta that one. Grab the extra bow and go. I agree probably don't need 2 backups but just like guns always have an extra.

nphunter

WKR
What happens if you blow up a limb....I've had more guys I know have this happen...either by accident or faulty limbs. No bow press going to get you outta that one. Grab the extra bow and go. I agree probably don't need 2 backups but just like guns always have an extra.

I shoot a Hoyt so I don’t have to worry about that;)

If by chance something crazy ever happens I will just buy a bow off of FB classifieds, Craigslist or a local shop to get me through the hunt. I can have a bow tuned well enough to hunt within about an hour.

I just really don’t see the need, I don’t feel comfortable leaving a bow in my hot rig while I’m backpacked in somewhere, it is more likely to have issues sitting in a hot rig than anywhere else and honestly bows are just not that hard to come by these days.

I did have one for years and never have needed a backup bow or gun in close to 30 years of hunting. I will play the odds, if I were flying into the Alaskan Wilderness that’s a different story but anywhere in the lower 48 one weapon is all I’m taking.

Last edited:

Brendan

WKR
I shoot a Hoyt so I don’t have to worry about that;)

Happened to me with a Hoyt Carbon Defiant Turbo. Was picking up pieces of that bow at the 30 yard target butt. Was 2-3 weeks to get it to Hoyt and back so I could start setting it up from scratch.

I had to walk into the dealer and buy a bow off the rack that next day...

rj2

WKR
I don't think I would do an important hunting season without a backup, especially if travelling across country. I will still bring press/parts to fix an issue, but if you fall and bust a limb or cam, your options will get real limited real fast.

Brendan

WKR
Here's another one. Montana 2017 - descending down hill with a bow strapped to the pack. Feet go out from under me, landing on my butt / back, smacking the cam on a rock. That one could have been REAL bad, but we were able to file a "ding" out of the cam without taking the bow apart. (Wasn't my bow, was carrying mine in hand, and had someone else's strapped to the pack so he could focus on getting down safely)

If I’m flying or driving across country I’m bringing two for sure. I cartwheeled down some steep shit last year the rocks smashed the riser and cams real good, I got backnto the truck and verified 70, nothing moved I got lucky but if it had and I didn’t have a backup I would have been buying a new bow and setting up from scratch. I’ll always have 2 ready to go.