Too Many Hunting Rifles

When I was young and single with no kids, I had hunting rifles like someone has golf clubs. I had rifles for short range stand hunting, mid-range, long range, you name it. At one point, I had enough rifles in .284 bore to be able to shoot 140gr bullets in 100fps increments from 2800 to 3300fps.

Now that I’m married with kids, I find myself somewhat limited on time and money to reload, shoot, and even hunt. At first, honestly, I was a little resentful.

Now, being a husband/dad is as important to me as anything. Turns out my family is pretty entertaining. So, I’m thinking I should focus on a couple of rifles and maybe ditch a bunch of the other stuff.

Have any of you gone through a big sell-off or downsize? Regrets?

OP
MeatMissile
Don't do it. You will kick yourself later. Notice prices, rifles aren't getting cheaper. Resale value is tough get even in this market. Mark my words... Stay strong.

In all reality, anything I’d shoot with a centerfire rifle could be done with a 30-06. I have two M70s in 30-06, one pre-64 and a newer stainless model. The pre-64 gets a diet of 180gr Partitions while the stainless gets 168gr TTSXs.

Then again, I have two Christensen Mesas (308 and 300 Win Mag) that give me a little variety without sacrificing versatility.

I still have the 7mm-08, 7x57, 280, 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm STW.....

And then there are 243s, 6.5 Creedtards, 270s.....and that’s just the bolt guns!

Maybe I’ll do as you say and just clean and oil them and lock them away.

bpctcb

WKR
About 10 years ago I started selling firearms that just sat in my safe. I only kept the unused ones that had real sentimental value to me. I used the proceeds to buy gear, ammo, elk tags, etc that I would actually use. I don’t regret it one bit.

BP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slvrslngr

WKR
Truth is, either of your -06’s will kill anything you want to hunt in NA or the rest of the world, excluding the really big stuff (elephant, rhino, cape buff, etc). You would likely be better off selling the rest and investing the proceeds in your kids education fund. Keeping the 7-08 or 6.5CM for the kids is probably a good idea though.

I was just like you. Lots of stuff before kids. Sold all my custom recurve bows and a bunch of Ruger Blackhawk pistols, I regret that! But kept all my rifles. I have 2 30 06's, a 243, 308, 300 Win Mag, 28 Nosler, 5.56 AR and twin 7 mm Mags (actually got these for my sons). I also have 4 shotguns, 2 22's and a muzzle loader. Was going to do a big sell off this year, but had my sons, who are now 27 and 28 look at them all to see what they like. The only thing they weren't really interested in was the 30 06 Rem 700 mountain rifle. They are 6'2" and 6'4" and the gun is a bit small. So keep them for the family, who knows what will happen with gun laws!!!!!! My wife is now happy I have a plan for all that stuff...lol.

woods89

WKR
About 10 years ago I started selling firearms that just sat in my safe. I only kept the unused ones that had real sentimental value to me. I used the proceeds to buy gear, ammo, elk tags, etc that I would actually use. I don’t regret it one bit.

BP

I like this line of thought. I haven't ever really accumulated so many, currently have 2 centerfire rifles, 2 shotguns, 1 22, and one muzzleloader. What keeps me from buying more though is that I can spend that on tags........

prm

WKR
I'm okay with selling guns for $$, but that $$ is then reinvested in fun. Perhaps more hunts, new/better/different rifles or scopes, etc. I don't see the purpose of keeping a safe queen when it could fund something more meaningful.
A 30-06 with 180 Partitions is my idea of a big game do-it-all combination.

Keep a couple rifles for you and at least two for each of your children. Everyone needs .22's, and a shotgun so have to factor those in as well as big-game rifles. Once you sell they are gone.

Had to go back and add this too! Forgot all about pistols. Must have one in .22 for plinking and for fun shooting. Then something such as a 40 S&W, 357, something along those lines for packing in the woods, EDC, or just having fun out shooting.

Last edited:

deadwolf

WKR
At one point around five years ago I was staring at a safe with over 20 rifles in it. I’m down to two very nice hunting rifles and the heirloom rifles left. I don’t regret it for a second. As stated in other posts above, the benefits are many and you will become more proficient with the rifles you keep and cut down on reloading time or components you need to source to reload. I also invested some of the money from the rifle sales...and that’s working out very nice : )

OP
MeatMissile
Yeah, let’s not get into the other crap I have. ARs, M-1s, a half dozen 22s, several shotguns, muzzleloaders, lever actions, and a single-shot 45-70! I used to shoot all of it all the time, along with the pistols I own. Seems like that all slowed way down after kid #1. Kid #2 just got here and the only thing I shoot is my bow, because I can do it in the yard.

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
In all reality, anything I’d shoot with a centerfire rifle could be done with a 30-06. I have two M70s in 30-06, one pre-64 and a newer stainless model. The pre-64 gets a diet of 180gr Partitions while the stainless gets 168gr TTSXs.

Then again, I have two Christensen Mesas (308 and 300 Win Mag) that give me a little variety without sacrificing versatility.

I still have the 7mm-08, 7x57, 280, 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm STW.....

And then there are 243s, 6.5 Creedtards, 270s.....and that’s just the bolt guns!

Maybe I’ll do as you say and just clean and oil them and lock them away.
Current market trends make parting with them potentially profitable, I'd hang on to a couple of rifles for your kids and put the money towards making some memories.

OP
MeatMissile
Current market trends make parting with them potentially profitable, I'd hang on to a couple of rifles for your kids and put the money towards making some memories.

I’m already highlighting the expendable stuff on my inventory sheet. Who really needs four 1911s?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Congratulations on the second child.

In the end, only you can know how you will feel about selling some of them. Just because one person felt a certain way does not mean you will. For me, I have tried to get away from possessing things simple to have them. So, if they don't get used, or add a distinct capability (rather than a just a variation) that I might need, they go down the road. So, my vote is sell most of them. You know enough that I don't need to give any advice on which ones to keep.

Sometimes I think about guns I've sold and wish I had them. Then I think about the fact that they would be sitting unused like they where before I sold them and I get over it.

WCB

WKR
If you are not using them not sure how you would regret it. I would just make sure you at least have a back up for any type of hunting you are doing. Guns that I have bought I have 2 big game rifles that can kill anything I am going to hunt. 2 waterfowl shotguns, 2 upland/trap guns, 2 22lr rifles, 2 carry pistols.

ON top of those are the guns I have had gifted/handed down. A few shotguns, a couple rifles, a couple pistols, etc that still overlap a lot from above but I will never sell them but do still use them time to time.

If you have guns that were just purchases with no emotional connection to them I don't see how you could regret it. Even more so if you reinvest it into something you will use like maybe upgraded optics on a keeper gun or tags, new pack etc.

But IMO make sure you have a suitable back up...I have never understood the guys who cry when their rifle, shotgun, etc goes down and now their season is ruined.

Spoonbill

WKR
You could always sell off a couple to fund a few suppressors (assuming you don’t have any). Maybe set a few aside that don’t get used for your kids then figure out which ones are just safe queens.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I sold some off a few years ago and currently I have a very short list of guns I’d pull out my wallet for. A few years back I realized that with all the rifles I had I could actually do some of the hunts I’d been wanting to do.

Now I I have
-375HH x2
-30-06x2
-300wm
-6.5 creedmoore
-22lr

260madman

WKR
OP has brain damage from the ‘Rona mask. Too much quarantine thinking. Seek help from your Dr. If he’s like mine he’ll probably tell you you’re nuts.