Too much bullet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
wildernessmaster

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
You have not dissected the gun and if it was safe enough to shoot at 3 deer it is safe enough to hang a target and quickly check 0.
Really??

Boy the moral, self righteous lectures continue... Ok buddy... Let's dissect your statement vs the facts...

1. "You have not dissected the gun" - WRONG - I have dissected the gun, but not the zero. I have checked all screws, the bore alignment with scope (at close range indoor), and even pulled the bolt and and gun internals and made sure nothing was off.
2. "if it was safe enough" - WRONG - safety was not a factor in any of this so please stop gas lighting.
3. " to shoot at 3 deer" - I shot at 4 deer. The first was a dead as dead can get. The other 3 were across 2 different hunting sessions where the first I just thought I (purposely) may have aimed a bit too low because I was not sure if cows had moved behind it and stay ultra careful with this guys cows. #2 and #3 were same day and when I began to wonder what's up. Please stop insinuating I randomly shot at 3 deer and was not evaluating anything.
4. "to shoot at 3 deer" - After deer 4 I did not shoot any others. I actually spent most of my last few huntable days looking to make sure there were NO dead deer, and evaluating my gun.
5. "to hang a target and quickly check" - MISLEADING - at what distance? 10 yards? 50 yards? 100 yards (which I what this was sighted in at)??? I did try to "hang a target" quickly check 0. But without a stable rest, a lead sled, etc it was somewhat futile (note I said previously I did not have access to a range). The only place I can "hang a target and pop off a few WTF rounds" is this guys property at the moment - which btw, kind of screws up hunting there. More so I need to be on a bench rest or similar - can't just do prone because of grass, ground swells and needing to make sure his animals don't move in where I am shooting. At 20 yards it shot 1.5". Beyond that, bullets were on paper but without a stable rest could not tell you much. Too many variables.
6. When I can access a range with the right facilities I AM going to dissect the zero.

Anyone else want to troll?

Phil j

Lil-Rokslider
Really??

Boy the moral, self righteous lectures continue... Ok buddy... Let's dissect your statement vs the facts...

1. "You have not dissected the gun" - WRONG - I have dissected the gun, but not the zero. I have checked all screws, the bore alignment with scope (at close range indoor), and even pulled the bolt and and gun internals and made sure nothing was off.
2. "if it was safe enough" - WRONG - safety was not a factor in any of this so please stop gas lighting.
3. " to shoot at 3 deer" - I shot at 4 deer. The first was a dead as dead can get. The other 3 were across 2 different hunting sessions where the first I just thought I (purposely) may have aimed a bit too low because I was not sure if cows had moved behind it and stay ultra careful with this guys cows. #2 and #3 were same day and when I began to wonder what's up. Please stop insinuating I randomly shot at 3 deer and was not evaluating anything.
4. "to shoot at 3 deer" - After deer 4 I did not shoot any others. I actually spent most of my last few huntable days looking to make sure there were NO dead deer, and evaluating my gun.
5. "to hang a target and quickly check" - MISLEADING - at what distance? 10 yards? 50 yards? 100 yards (which I what this was sighted in at)??? I did try to "hang a target" quickly check 0. But without a stable rest, a lead sled, etc it was somewhat futile (note I said previously I did not have access to a range). The only place I can "hang a target and pop off a few WTF rounds" is this guys property at the moment - which btw, kind of screws up hunting there. More so I need to be on a bench rest or similar - can't just do prone because of grass, ground swells and needing to make sure his animals don't move in where I am shooting. At 20 yards it shot 1.5". Beyond that, bullets were on paper but without a stable rest could not tell you much. Too many variables.
6. When I can access a range with the right facilities I AM going to dissect the zero.

When you said lead sled you told me every thing I need to know also you said you were so amazing of a shot you killed your 200yd deer offhand so why not try a simple field position like pressed on the side of a tree the more you talk the more you sound like a tool.

PS. 0 is the most important part of a shooting system!

cusecat04

FNG
slow down and breathe....
Guys have tried to help out here, you haven't liked the suggestions and then start dissecting... if its written on the internet you can be guaranteed dissection isn't worth the time.

We have had a similar situation after a buddy missed 2 deer this year. After flogging the brush looking for wounded deer/sign we grabbed a field rest/shooting position (nature has made a whole lot of them long before lead sleds existed) and shooting at a safe target (many also exist in nature allowing zero checking while in the field. Turned out the gun was off, swapped to back up, next encounter dead deer.

Aiming low because you are unsure about what is behind your target is not being ultra safe. Saying this because it needs to be said... grew up on a farm with cattle around hunting spots and knowing where they may be was common place. If someone hunting with us said this they would never step foot on the property again.

Not trying to be self righteous here. Type out your replies and then let them sit for a minute... breathe...
People are trying to help but you need to be receptive to suggestions.

sndmn11

WKR
What is the process of evaluating/dissecting a rifle suspected to be faulty without shooting it?

Where does to confidence to shoot at multiple animals come from if there is no confidence to shoot at a stationary paper target to confirm zero in the same physical location?

I am not understanding how your aim point being intentionally low or a high shoulder shot has anything to do with not finding sign of a shot deer?

Have you looked at terminal ballistic testing of your bullet?

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Really??

i guess ill troll as you say.
Alot of us have been here.
There are only 2 outcomes here. The gun is broken. The shooter is broken. The bullet isnt broken. If the gun is shooting and has grouped before. The only think that is LIKELY broken is the scope.
Get off the lead sled. If you cant put a bipod on your gun or sandbags or backpack or your jacket and get it to shoot 100 yards off your hood there is a problem. And its likely you. Though you said you had the gift of sharp shooting and you claim you need a lead sled to check zero. Just the facts of life man.

Status
Not open for further replies.