Too much money to argue

I may be out of line, but to me this needs more visibility. This post won't solve a damn thing, but it infuriates me.

Me and a couple buddies had some cow tags for this area and figured we'd make it a good week just chasing cows and having a good time. We did not realize the amount of elk on private ranches; whatever, we still had fun and plenty of God's Water (Busch Lattes).

The problem came when we tried to access a chunk of BLM that clearly had a couple public access points; one from the west, and one from the east. When we tried to access the land from the east, we were met with a large private drive sign. I had done a lot of scouting so we had other areas to go check out. But after no luck, I decided to call the county. I called the main office, and got the run around, got sent to multiple departments, then got the gal's voicemail that I needed to speak with, several phone calls and voicemails later, we got nothing. The land owners are well known in this area (maybe rhymes with MILKS), but when I looked at the imagery, I could not be more pissed. When you have enough money, and more staff and equipment than the county, you can relocate county roads so they don't cross public anymore.

1643083120340.png

I'd be curious if you follow the county road as it's marked in the state record if it wouldn't be totally legal. Granted you'd have to have a warden that gave enough of a shit to back you but if I was a game Warden that's the kind of shenanigans I'd be looking for.

huck

Lil-Rokslider
I dont no where your at but here in the Republic of Wash. if the county quits a road that just means it doesnt have maintanence not access .

OP
ILoveBusch
You can get to that big piece of land from the west.
Yeah you can, and I stated that, west wind and acces from the west isn't ideal. Not saying that's the issue at all, its that these roads are clearly going around public access points

ODB

WKR
Yeah you can, and I stated that, west wind and acces from the west isn't ideal. Not saying that's the issue at all, its that these roads are clearly going around public access points

How far in was the sign?

There was something about roads made on public lands before 1976 remain public - or somerthing to that effect. It looks like someone used that rule for a section of road that intersects middle bench rd.

these guys are clearly locking up things as best they can.

is/was there an old road bed there? sometimes here the forest service roads look like that and can be way off. i asked and was told it had to do with the software and the topography not working well together that throws the road off.

This may not be the case here but explains it in some places.

Rich M

WKR
We had something like that in WY - road was visible in aerials but when we got there, it ended at a barbed wire fence and the new road was visible about 50-75 yards away, off public. We parked at fence - went over fence and in.

Amazing how they'll go thru all that expense and effort to keep a couple DIY guys off the property.

OP: If this is DFD I would move on. They are not friendly and do WTF they want. They are not friendly toward hunters or anyone trying to enjoy public access. They have no issue blocking off access points. Most likely they don't even live in the state you are hunting. They are billionaires w/o a high school education (per one source), grew up poor, now rich AF, and are grabbing land at alarming rates in at least 6 different states. According to one source that is outdated they grabbed 200,000 + acres in ID. 350,000 + acres in Montana. I didn't check their holdings in other states. Here in ID when they buy land gates immediately go up with lots of new shiny orange signs around the boundaries. Previous owners allowed public access thru some of the properties for generations. DFD buys the property that changes immediately. I wouldn't risk access if it's questionable. Again they will not be friendly towards you.

Last edited:
OP: If this is DFD I would move on. They are not friendly and do WTF they want. They are not friendly toward hunters or anyone trying to enjoy public access. They have no issue blocking off access points. Most likely they don't even live in the state you are hunting. They are billionaires w/o a high school education, grew up poor, now rich AF, and are grabbing land at alarming rates in at least 6 different states. According to one source that is outdated they grabbed 200,000 + acres in ID. 350,000 + acres in Montana. I didn't check their holdings in other states. Here in ID when they buy land gates immediately go up with lots of new shiny orange signs around the boundaries. Previous owners allowed public access thru some of the properties for generations. DFD buys the property that changes immediately. I wouldn't risk access if it's questionable. Again they will not be friendly towards you.
Not to mention armed guards.

I always hear that name and similar stories and wonder how they don't get burned out every August.
I've wondered the same thing. The unit that I hunt has gained a lot of resident hunters that have been displaced by Wilks blocking access. Remember the new trespassing law a few years ago from rep Judy Boyle? She's conveniently related to the Wilks bros.

OP
ILoveBusch
OP: If this is DFD I would move on. They are not friendly and do WTF they want. They are not friendly toward hunters or anyone trying to enjoy public access. They have no issue blocking off access points. Most likely they don't even live in the state you are hunting. They are billionaires w/o a high school education (per one source), grew up poor, now rich AF, and are grabbing land at alarming rates in at least 6 different states. According to one source that is outdated they grabbed 200,000 + acres in ID. 350,000 + acres in Montana. I didn't check their holdings in other states. Here in ID when they buy land gates immediately go up with lots of new shiny orange signs around the boundaries. Previous owners allowed public access thru some of the properties for generations. DFD buys the property that changes immediately. I wouldn't risk access if it's questionable. Again they will not be friendly towards you.
DFD?

Don't worry, I won't even bother, I have too little time, and way too little resources. It's frustrating to see this type of stuff.

We saw the security guard every day, we always slowed down to look, since he was always parked in a draw loaded with elk.

I remember the Boise Cascade guards etc. I was hunting cow elk new area to me. Poor guys in our camp lived near Smiths Ferry and his brother came from out of state to hunt. NW of Cascade lake area. This group had hunted that land for decades. His camp didn't know about the land grab and they didn't find out until their first day when when saw the shiny orange signs all over the place. Poor guy looked lost and didn't know what to do.

I don't understand, never have, never will, buying massive amounts of land that you don't even use, don't even live in the same state, then block it off. The kicker is now the are parcelling pieces of their land grabs and selling them off as residential properties. That mountain ground will never be what it's suppose to be. Sad to me. Some don't care but I do.

DFD?

Don't worry, I won't even bother, I have too little time, and way too little resources. It's frustrating to see this type of stuff.

We saw the security guard every day, we always slowed down to look, since he was always parked in a draw loaded with elk.
Texas Billionaires. If you see orange signs with DFD that's who it is. They will have security at highly used access points. Sad to live out of state, don't even use the property in question, but feel the need to put security at access points. Real friendly guys!

I remember the Boise Cascade guards etc. I was hunting cow elk new area to me. Poor guys in our camp lived near Smiths Ferry and his brother came from out of state to hunt. NW of Cascade lake area. This group had hunted that land for decades. His camp didn't know about the land grab and they didn't find out until their first day when when saw the shiny orange signs all over the place. Poor guy looked lost and didn't know what to do.

I don't understand, never have, never will, buying massive amounts of land that you don't even use, don't even live in the same state, then block it off. The kicker is now the are parcelling pieces of their land grabs and selling them off as residential properties. That mountain ground will never be what it's suppose to be. Sad to me. Some don't care but I do.
I used to do a lot of road work for Boise Cascade . They had an impressive portfolio of property. The property has been intensively managed as timber production ground, especially after the FS really started to cut back on federal timber sales. Most of their properties in SW Idaho don't hold much value in terms of wildlife. The real value in their ground is the access that they hold. Almost every Forest Service road in Adams, Boise and Valley counties, at some point pass through DFD property.

I used to do a lot of road work for Boise Cascade . They had an impressive portfolio of property. The property has been intensively managed as timber production ground, especially after the FS really started to cut back on federal timber sales. Most of their properties in SW Idaho don't hold much value in terms of wildlife. The real value in their ground is the access that they hold. Almost every Forest Service road in Adams, Boise and Valley counties, at some point pass through DFD property.
Those that enjoy winter recreation (snowmobiling) were hit pretty hard if I remember correctly.