Too much power?

z987k

WKR
Finally watched the whole thing through. I can't decide if it was actually over-reach, or officers acting in good faith on information. Something in the delivery tone I find really annoying tho.
If we give them the benefit of the doubt and say it's good faith, then they're so incompetent at their job, they need to be relieved of it.
If it wasn't good faith, then prison time seems appropriate for what can only be described as a conspiracy to break a lot of laws.

HvyBeams

Lil-Rokslider
I remember reading that the 4th Amendment doesn't apply to game wardens. I think it was written and signed September 18, 1787. Look it up. You can find it by looking at the 4th Amendment of the US Constitution, subsection (L)(M)(A)(O).

If we give them the benefit of the doubt and say it's good faith, then they're so incompetent at their job, they need to be relieved of it.
If it wasn't good faith, then prison time seems appropriate for what can only be described as a conspiracy to break a lot of laws.

Ok, but without collecting evidence, how could they ever investigate?
I'm going to assume they needed to confiscate the racks to do DNA testing.

I'm not saying it doesn't suck, yes, probably really need to throttle back on the pictures and claims when they first start an investigation. But I don't think GW would ever get anything done if not for first acting on tips, then going to try to gather evidence.

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
Finally watched the whole thing through. I can't decide if it was actually over-reach, or officers acting in good faith on information. Something in the delivery tone I find really annoying tho.

I think what would be more telling is a back ground on how in X number of seasures they had Y convicted on poaching. Poaching cases are already a very difficult case to prove many times, generally they aren't going to put resources at something unless they feel pretty certain they will have a favorable outcome.

Don't have a problem with a GW reference to something as his county. Heck I talk about my county.

Seems like a bunch of people with an ax to grind, likely on both sides.
It is absolutely an over reach. A game warden is a law enforcement officer with the same authority as any other LEO. They are also bound by the same rules. They cannot enter onto private property for the purposes of investigating an alleged crime without a warrant. They cannot seize property without a warrant. Maybe they did believe there was a crime committed, great. If there was a preponderance of evidence then they would have been able to secure a warrant easily. They went fishing and illegally seized property. The mistake the hunter made was speaking to them in the first place. He should’ve asked them for a warrant and when that wasn’t produced told them to leave his property. If they refused he should’ve called the county sheriff and had them trespassed from his property. He should also sue the hell out of those two officers and the state of West Virginia.

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, but without collecting evidence, how could they ever investigate?
I'm going to assume they needed to confiscate the racks to do DNA testing.

I'm not saying it doesn't suck, yes, probably really need to throttle back on the pictures and claims when they first start an investigation. But I don't think GW would ever get anything done if not for first acting on tips, then going to try to gather evidence.
Sure, they have to question suspects in order to gather evidence. The issue is that interrogate him without arresting him. They couldn’t arrest him and they knew it, because there wasn’t enough evidence to get a warrant. They then seized property without a warrant, also illegal. The antlers and capes are the property of the hunter at that point. If they had enough evidence, they should’ve had no issue getting a warrant which would’ve allowed them to seize the trophies.

The issue is not that they were investigating. The issue is that they did the investigation process in the wrong order and in doing so used the hunter’s civil rights like a sidewalk.

GW can seize property without a warrant.
GW can search without warrant.

They can also have a warrant issued on hearsay. So if one person made a claim against the individual, that can be enough for a warrant.

Information is coming from one side here, I suspect there's a lot more to it.

More information if you care to read about it.

It is absolutely an over reach. A game warden is a law enforcement officer with the same authority as any other LEO. They are also bound by the same rules. They cannot enter onto private property for the purposes of investigating an alleged crime without a warrant. They cannot seize property without a warrant. Maybe they did believe there was a crime committed, great. If there was a preponderance of evidence then they would have been able to secure a warrant easily. They went fishing and illegally seized property. The mistake the hunter made was speaking to them in the first place. He should’ve asked them for a warrant and when that wasn’t produced told them to leave his property. If they refused he should’ve called the county sheriff and had them trespassed from his property. He should also sue the hell out of those two officers and the state of West Virginia.

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider

They can also have a warrant issued on hearsay. So if one person made a claim against the individual, that can be enough for a warrant.

A warrant less search may only be conducted under very specific circumstances, a warrant less search or seizure in order to gather enough evidence to charge someone with a crime, is not one of those very specific circumstances.

Here's the original news source that was used in the video.

I wonder if it first named the individual and was redacted.

In another article that was almost a copy and paste, individual was unnamed as well.

there are a few things in that video that are questionable. first, if there was no evidence, how did WVA get into NC and convince NC officials to go along with it? normally any evidence stays in the state you live in/ caught in until an arrest is made and you are extradited. second, those antlers were already cut in the police pics yet he states he was unable to have them mounted after everything? there is no mention of the full head being taken.
does the game comm. have too much authority? absolutely. here, the DEC trumps all law enforcement. they are the only ones who can go anywhere and do what they want. yes they go to peoples doors and check freezers, no they do not really need a warrant to search property or question you on your own property. and if they think or hear that you may have committed an offense then you get detained and your life gets searched, not just your house. that being said, our DEC is pretty laid back. except for a few of course.
one time I was getting gas and an officer walked up to my truck and started to visually search it, I let him finish then laughed. he then walked to a small car and searched it with the guy still in it, that guy had a loaded rifle in the front seat and 2 shotguns in the back (stupid). luckily for that guy it was a good officer he dealt with, no fines and just moved everything to the trunk. for the most part, if you do the right thing you will never have a problem.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
If LEO shows up at your front door and says they just want to talk to you about what ever the subject is, the first thing, and only thing out of your mouth is, only with my lawyer present. they are not there just for general conversation.

Once again a warden came to my moms land-home walking around cuz they suspected my brother was doing burglaries Which has nothing to do with game violations.
The excuse the warden made was the color of my brother truck matched the suspect but offered no proof of any damn thing. Nothing came of it. Mom would not file a complaint cuz all law enforec is always right. 🤦‍♂️

Hardly a justifiable reason and clear volitation of authority that one LE agency piggy-backed on another because of a very loose and gray interpretation that many judges flat out get wrong on what is and is not and how some doctrine applies to it.

Your mom should've filed a complaint and no, LE is not always right. In fact, many times they aren't. Especially with game law violations...

Last edited:
there are a few things in that video that are questionable. first, if there was no evidence, how did WVA get into NC and convince NC officials to go along with it? normally any evidence stays in the state you live in/ caught in until an arrest is made and you are extradited. second, those antlers were already cut in the police pics yet he states he was unable to have them mounted after everything? there is no mention of the full head being taken.
does the game comm. have too much authority? absolutely. here, the DEC trumps all law enforcement. they are the only ones who can go anywhere and do what they want. yes they go to peoples doors and check freezers, no they do not really need a warrant to search property or question you on your own property. and if they think or hear that you may have committed an offense then you get detained and your life gets searched, not just your house. that being said, our DEC is pretty laid back. except for a few of course.
one time I was getting gas and an officer walked up to my truck and started to visually search it, I let him finish then laughed. he then walked to a small car and searched it with the guy still in it, that guy had a loaded rifle in the front seat and 2 shotguns in the back (stupid). luckily for that guy it was a good officer he dealt with, no fines and just moved everything to the trunk. for the most part, if you do the right thing you will never have a problem.

He stated that the hair slipped on the capes, that's why they couldn't be mounted.

I probably skipped that lol. still curious how WVA managed to cross state lines and convince NC to let them leave with the antlers or heads while having no proof of a crime. especially when supposedly, one was killed in NC. that would be NC property and NC investigation. usually crossing state lines becomes federal, so if the guy did nothing wrong and there was no evidence then he didn't need to comply with an out of state agency.

rodney747

WKR

Here's the original news source that was used in the video.

I wonder if it first named the individual and was redacted.

In another article that was almost a copy and paste, individual was unnamed as well.
Saying the two bucks WERE killed illegally makes LEO incorrect right there🤷‍♂️

HvyBeams

Lil-Rokslider
Some of you guys need to stop saying that any G&F law enforcement has the authority to search private property without a warrant. The US Supreme Court makes the ultimate case law. There is no exception for game wardens. They still need probable cause to search a vehicle (Carroll vs U.S.). They need reasonable suspicion for a traffic stop. They just can't pull you over.

Showing me policy and procedure for the US Fish and Game is not case law. Show me the case law where wardens have more authority than any other law enforcement in this nation. If you can't, then STOP saying this garbage. That's how young kids get worked by wardens, because of urban legend. Apparently, some of you older guys are still getting worked.

Last edited:

HvyBeams

Lil-Rokslider

From your link:

1.15 What circumstances may call for a warrantless search? Under certain circumstances, there are exceptions to warrant requirements. These may include, but are not limited to:

A. Searches incident to arrest (section 1.16).

B. Exigent circumstances (section 1.17).

C. Consent searches (section 1.18).

D. Vehicle searches (section 1.19).

E. Inventory searches (section 1.20).

F. Border Searches (section 1.21).

I don't see anything about searching private property without a warrant. Do you?

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
Some of you guys need to stop saying that any G&F law enforcement has the authority to search private property without a warrant. The US Supreme Court makes the ultimate case law. There is no exemption for game wardens. They still need probable cause to search a vehicle (Carroll vs U.S.). They need reasonable suspicion for a traffic stop. They just can't pull you over.

Showing me policy and procedure for the US Fish and Game is not case law. Show me the case law where wardens have more authority than any other law enforcement in this nation. If you can't, then STOP saying this garbage. That's how young kids get worked by wardens, because of urban legend. Apparently, some of you older guys are still getting worked.
Exactly. I don’t know where the idea came from that a game warden can somehow operate outside the confines of the Constitution. If they search private property without a warrant then the property owner consented to the search, even if they didn’t think they did. In jurisprudence “consent” does not necessarily mean what it does to lay people. That’s why it’s best to not speak to law enforcement without a lawyer. Any law enforcement, even if you know you did absolutely nothing wrong and have nothing to hide. They didn’t come knocking at your door cause they’re just being nice guys and trying to “clear a few things up” to help you out.

I know there’s GWs on this forum and I don’t have anything against y’all but I wouldn’t speak to you, while you were acting in your official capacity. I’m an ethical hunter but I’m sure that I have somehow, in some way, violated a game law in the past. I think most hunters have, through no malfeasance on their part. That doesn’t mean that the GW won’t hem you up for it. I don’t have anything against that, it’s nothing personal, just business (at least I hope most see it that way).

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
From your link:

1.15 What circumstances may call for a warrantless search? Under certain circumstances, there are exceptions to warrant requirements. These may include, but are not limited to:

A. Searches incident to arrest (section 1.16).

B. Exigent circumstances (section 1.17).

C. Consent searches (section 1.18).

D. Vehicle searches (section 1.19).

E. Inventory searches (section 1.20).

F. Border Searches (section 1.21).

I don't see anything about searching private property without a warrant. Do you?
The only way they could search private property without a warrant or consent, to gather evidence, would be if there was evidence of a crime in plain view that could be seen without committing trespass. A GW can be trespassed. In fact, regarding the case we are discussing, if it were me speaking to these WV boys I would’ve kindly asked them to leave my property. If they refused I would’ve called the county sheriff deputies and had them trespassed from my property. I’ve seen that play out while stationed in VA. Very similar circumstances to the ones in this thread. My buddy was hunting out of state and shot a buck, also shot two in VA. VADNR guys came by asking questions and I was helping around the yard (my buddy is a disabled vet and a tree fell on one of his fences so I was helping clean up) and they started interrogating me. I walked about 20 feet away and sat on the tailgate of my truck, cracked a Miller Light, smiled and refused to speak with them until there was a lawyer present. My buddy’s wife was the attorney we were waiting on. Once she arrived we conferred with her in private and then addressed the GWs. I made a statement that the two he said were shot in VA were in fact shot in VA because I helped him drag them off his lease and caped both of them myself, we had pictures of both of us with them after he checked them online. That was the last we heard of it. Before that my buddy had called the sheriff and a deputy was on his way to trespass the GWs, who refused to leave. He showed up as were giving our statements and stayed until they left.