Tool for firewood prep for stove/shelter setup?

Jpugs

Lil-Rokslider
Anxiously waiting on my first shelter with a stove from seek outside... for those that use stoves already, do you have a certain tool that you backpack in with you to help prep the wood or do you only burn what you can break to size?

BuckSnort

WKR
I use my foot.. Broom handle width wood works best for big pieces..

I just step on the wood and pull up and snap it the length I want.. You could also lean it against a rock and stomp it if need be..

I take a small folding arborist saw.
Lightweight and allows for rounds of the size I can't break. Allows for a slightly longer burn.

Skull10

WKR
I was using a Gerber fold up wood saw for a while. It takes a while for larger campfire wood. I just picked up a Wyoming bow saw, after reading reviews on this forum. I think it's going to work much better.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Foot or silky and in real cold a silky and a knife for battening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whitetoptom

Lil-Rokslider
Silky F100. Seems to be the lightest option I've found. Like all Silky saws the thing is scary sharp.
7022ed5c5df0b9f51c445cf67fae84f1.jpg
2794894e0d3e774ba7a7cc19c6e6cff8.jpg

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Whitetoptom

Lil-Rokslider
You silky users.... fine teeth on those? 12 tpi vs 6.5 for coarse.
Looks like 6.5 tooth on mine. I've cruised the Silky website and the offer quite the line of saws. The f100 is by far the lightest folder I've found. The biggest part of the handle is molded plastic, with some metal hardware associated with the blade. Seems sufficiently well made and durable so far.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

isu22andy

WKR
I had a stihl brand hand saw I bought from the farm store I used bowhunting for 2-3 years for 20 or 30 bucks that was scarey sharp I used when hanging tree stands . Not overly hard wood though.

mcseal2

WKR
Our Seek XL stove didnt do great with bigger rounds unsplit our first trip. We cut 3” to 4” ones a foot long from standing beetle killed pine with a chainsaw. It needs smaller stuff to burn great even after getting a good fire rolling. Splitting them worked better. We got more smoldering and creosote build up on the screen with bigger rounds.

I wouldnt get carried away, Id just burn smaller pieces. What tools you may or may not need will depend on what you have to do to get dry wood.

*zap*

WKR
Smaller Silky with Medium teeth, orange handle denotes medium teeth I think. Anyway it is e-z to find.....:D

Silky big boy is awesome but not small....

Lawnboi

WKR
It really depends on when and how much I plan on burning. And how far I’m walking, or canoeing.

Snapping sticks works okay, especially if it’s dry and your not going to burn a lot.
A saw works good. I have a wicked tough tree gear or something hand saw and a 21” sven.
A big knife helps, especially starting when wood is wet
A hatchet helps if I’m processing a lot of wood.

Keep in mind the size of your stove. Those tiny stoves are a pain in the ass to make wood for.

Smart selection + feet + izula.

I guess if your not packing in far, tools are nice. But why add the 5+ ounces if you don’t need to? A little practice goes a long way when learning how and what to burn.

Neverenoughhntn

Lil-Rokslider
If I want bigger pieces than what I can break with my hands/foot, I prop the wood against a rock and grab another heavy rock and drop/throw it.... expend a lot less energy this way than sawing.