Tooth of arrow experience

Mikido

WKR
I shot a 2.5yo white tail buck, quartering away, at 30 yards.

the arrow hit perfect center of a rib on entry, breaking it, double lung, and stopped inside the cavity. Didn’t even scratch the opposite wall of the cavity. Didn’t touch the near side shoulder at all, and didn’t hit any other organs. The arrow was loosy goosy when I pulled it out (unlike the stuck in bone somewhere experience ive
Had before)

the buck did not do a mule kick, ran 50 yard and died in a few short seconds.

the broadhead was razor sharp before the shot, and pretty close to it after.

im a little surprised the arrow didn’t provide full pass through. I pull 60lbs. Typical east coast set up (100grain bh, ~28 inche arrow, low foc).

similar shots with montecs almost always full pass through.

this is my first shot with tooth. So far I’ve been very happy with their accuracy.

thoughts?

Shoot some more deer, then draw a conclusion.

You recovered the deer, it wasn't ideal to not have a pass thru, but every shot varies.

I'd get more than one data point before you come to a full conclusion.

Did you sharpen it or shoot it straight from the package?

TSAMP

WKR
I've shot 3 critters with them this year. 29.5" draw. 525 gr arrow. All 3 animals had pass through. One arrow got hung up in the offside shoulder but did go through it. It was also the smallest animal but only one that hit a shoulder blade.

I'd Check your arrow flight.

A friend made a poor shot on a buck with them this weekend. I'm told one of the 4 blades broke off and assume it wasn't a pass through since arrow was found far from impact site. Have not seen this but thought I'd also share his experience as it's relevant for these heads.

Truthfully, you can name any broadhead ever made and there will be accounts of failures or unexpected results. The second truth: It's just the nature of the beast. An arrow in flight....a broadhead....a live animal....and a LOT of inherent variables all combine to produce an outcome. If it's not the outcome we want or expect, it's typical to attribute it to something in our gear. You could maybe shoot the same shot at the same deer 10 times and get 7 different results....all depending on the variables. It literally takes dozens if not hundreds of events (shots on game) before enough data comes through to establish patterns.

Good luck in your hunting quests. KD

jmez

WKR
Ran 50 yards, died in a few seconds. Why do you care if the arrow was stuck in the ground or not?

You hit bone and broke it. Your only shooting 60 lbs (assuming you put it on scale) and 28 draw. What is the overall weight of your arrow? You are 100% confident that arrow hit straight (not fishtailing)

I shoot 58# draw and a 450 gr ish arriw for most part. I shoot tooth of the arrow and like them.

Grip can funk up an arrows flight really easy. And i dont care what you shoot, any arrow hitting an animal that had some fish tailing is not gonna penetrate as well if it hits bone.

ie dont overthink it right now. What i like about ToTA is the dont break after hitting bone.

OP
Mikido

Mikido

WKR
I bare shaft tuned my bow, so I’m confident there’s no fish tailing (at least during practice). You’re right, live shooting I could have torqued the shot.

thanks for the responses

WCB

WKR
I've had almost identical shots at almost the exact same distance and one arrow burn through and the next barely fall out the other side...IMO it is what it is. Go look at guys complaining abut bullets not passing through exact same thing. Every shot is different and sometimes what we see (or think we see) is not what actually happened.

Shoot more deer with them.