Tooth Paste Tube Replacement

Sock

FNG
Recently discovered that an empty chapstick Vial works pretty well for 4/5 days worth of toothpaste for the back county.

I used a clear tube so I can monitor how much toothpaste is left and it worked quite well.

A little unconventional and a small travel sized container of toothpaste works just as well but I thought I would throw this one out there.

OP
S

Sock

FNG
Honestly I had left over chapstick tubes from making chapstick with bees wax from my bees and I had no small containers of tooth paste before I went backpacking this weekend. So I saw the empty box on my counter and thought that will work.

It worked, so I thought I would share my weirdly found oddity.

I carry chewable toothpaste (w/ floride). I only need about 1/2 a tablet per brushing. So 1 tablet lasts 1 day. chewable toothpaste is a weight savings. Not by much, but when you're a gram weenie, every bit counts.

I definitely cannot stand not brushing my teeth, even in the backcountry. Part of that is just habit. But part of that might be that I'm a prolific cigar smoker when I'm in the backcountry, and going to bed with "cigar mouth" is kinda gross.

EdP

WKR
Yup, just refill the travel size tubes the dentist gives you. Lip lock with a full size, give the big one a squeeze and fill the little one. Cap it and done.

Clarktar

WKR
Yea, I might run my teeth on a branch here and there but I let the fuzz build when I hunt.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
my wife uses tooth tabs from Lush to brush her teeth with; she said I should try one and use it for backpacking- so I did and then work really well :)

now I just figure out how many days the trip is and stick that many in a small ziplock- easy peasy

found this works good for a toothbrush (and comes w/ a small toothpaste)

https://zpacks.com/products/ultralight-travel-toothbrush

I stopped brushing my teeth entirely. Each tooth I lose is a few ounces saved, plus not carrying toothpaste or toothbrush.
I nearly sprayed salsa over the counter.
Love it! This is why I joined!

I just got a freebie “disposable” toothbrush from a hotel and chopped it in 1/2. I have a bag of 1”x1” little ziplocks I bought from Amazon for portioning out daily vitamins/meds. I put one breath strip per day in one of those. Gets the teeth clean and freshens my sewer. Total weight for 7 days is only 3 grams.
image.jpg
p.s.
I didn’t tell the gal at the hotel desk I was staying there, just asked if I could have a toothbrush and she obliged. ;-)

chindits

WKR
I run toothpaste strips around my dehydrator pan and dry it in the dehydrator. Once it’s solid I cut it up into portion size gum drops. I put it in a bag in the fridge and when ever I go backpacking or hunting I grab enough for two a day and in a zip lock bag it goes. I keep it in my food bag so when ever I’m done with a meal I can brush my teeth. A dehydrated tube will last me a year or two.

chindits

WKR
I know someone will ask. No you don’t rehydrate it. You just pop it in your mouth and chew it a bit and you can brush your teeth.

Colgate wisp. Has a dab of toothpaste in it.
I just keep a couple in my pack for the occasional day I can't think of anything except brushing my teeth.
20211231_155353.jpg